When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bentley ala' quartz VS 7750

juicy

Ok...so I absolutely love my big, bad ass Bentley Motors I got from River earlier this year. I like it so much in fact that I want more! I want one maybe in each color! I want its twin- the Motors T, too! I also want a 6.75 and a GT! Unfortunately I cannot afford to drop such an insane amount of cash on this many watches so I was tinkering with the idea of getting some of these in [quartz] versions. Stop me here if this is a bad idea. Here are my thoughts...

The Bentley quartz models that I have seen pretty much are terrible copies and poor quality watches. Some have red hands on the chronos, some have silvery colored dials, some sweep the large stopwatch hand instead of the small chrono seconds hand, some are just plain cheap looking.

I am searching for one that is of equal build quality to my 7750 version but with a quartz motor. I want the one with the running seconds in the small chronos and with a very accurate and quality feel to it. I figure this way I could get several of the one I want and if I really grow fond I can purchase a 7750 model in the future.

Does anybody have any insight on these model quarts reps that I am searching for? I have heard people mention cqout and ioffer for these kind of items but I am hesitant to veer from our trusted dealers. I am sure they can get these also. I am hoping to hear from some experience on this.

cimg7418ek1.jpg

cimg7418ek1.61f025bda6.jpg

Hi,

I belong to those who think there are good quartz around, I mean with a nice case (see my Tag Aquaracer and Breitling Navi). Of course, the subdial layout is wrong due to a Miyota OS20 layout, but IMO this layout is less important than the built quality in a rep.

Here are some I found on CQout from Tonyxkf, although he has aquired an average reputation these days. (there are versions with a crappy caseback, but I think the ones I mention are OK, although I don't know if close to the gen or not)

Maybe you would like to ask Watchmark or Ruby to hunt them for you.

http://www.cqout.com/item.asp?id=3590750

http://www.cqout.com/item.asp?id=3569806

http://www.cqout.com/item.asp?id=3647908

Add one of the good Ruby's rep strap, and I think you have a nice inexpensive BB.

That one is from Mark's webstore (same as third from Tony) :

http://www.timeshops.net/Breitling_for_Ben...nograph_985.htm

I'm just pointing to those who look fair, again, I have no clue if they are faithfull to the gen.

Well there is two different opinions!

After looking at the watches in the links Pix gave, the darker colored dials seem to be more accurate than the white which I always notice silvery dials. This is the one I will probably give a try. I really like the Motors T for its brushed finish and larger 49mm size and intend it to be my next purchase.

From the pictures it looks pretty accurate when compared to my Bentley Motors. The only flaws that I spot are on the dial: wrong subdial configuration and slightly inwardly spaced, black date font and possibly different font sizes in the outer bezel and the '30 Seconds Chronoghraph'. These seem very livable for the great price of $75.89! The case and bracelet seem exactly the same quality as my 7750 rep.

A couple questions for the experienced with these watches:

* Do they have the running seconds @ 9 like my 7750 Motors or does the large stopwatch hand tick with all its glory?

** If the seconds are @9 is the ticking very noticeable since the hands on the subdials are so small? If so...is the ticking close to a 21j style?

*** Is the watch lighter due to its quartz movement?

bmtzy8.jpg

bmtzy8.c1a20fb4fe.jpg

OK, here's my .02 on quartz chronos.

One of my favorite rep watches these days is a Seamaster chrono I got from tonyxkf at cqout.

It's powered by the japanese working chrono quartz movement, I am amazed at how accurate and perfectly the chrono counters re-set, and I can play with it all day long and not worry about the movement breaking.

Also, the fit & finish is supposedly "swiss case"- they used the same case & bracelet as the $300 asian 7750. I dunno about this but the watch looks and feels wonderful.

All this for $92 shipped from his cqout shop. Now I haven't bought from him lately on his website, I know his prices haave gone up but I believe you can negotiate down with him nicely.

So, why not pick up a quartz Bentley or 2 from cqout or ioffer? Just do your homework, study dealers pix carefully for accuracy, ask the right questions, and pick a dealer with good feedback. That's what I've been doing, it's been a lot of fun finding some very nice watches for under $100.

Well, the watch will be lighter for sure.

The OS20 layout means :

- ticking seconds @6

- the subdial @9 stands for minutes of the stopwatch feature

- the main seconds hand is working with the stopwatch (you can see it normally at 12 on all pics) : so it won't be an obvious tell.

I don't know quartz movements with seconds@9, that would be very interesting as it could clone the 7750 behaviour :lol:

Yes, the ticking seconds @6 will be a tell for experts, but it's less noticeable than if the big one ticked.

I bought my Navitimer from Tony (a while ago) and I remember TeeJay relates always good experiences. However several members complained about him. What seems clear is that he has a large business and should solve the issues (bad model ?) if any.

If you're really not sure, I personally would recommend Watchmark. But it's only my humble opinion :)

Here's the gen Breitling Bentley Motors T

post-4381-1210951150_thumb.jpg

If the Quartz rep's rotating bezel (ring?) is as on my Navitimer, you might have good surprises : it's really tight and gives a much better feeling than on some of my former cheap reps that always had a loose bezel.

For that price you don't take many risks, and I'm sure that if you link Tony's Breitling to Watchmark (for example :)) he will just offer you the same price, if not better. But be precise in your inquiry and ask for some pictures before shipment, to check if it's at least the right model he's sending.

BTW, which is the right caseback ?

Great info guys! I do appreciate all of your input. I have a bit more research to do before I pull the trigger on one.

@Pix - The caseback for the Motors T has the three bentley car profiles. The Bentley Motors caseback has the bentley logo at the top with the words Special Edition and some other text with the usual mispellings on the words Chronomeler and Swilzerland.

i wish quartz was an option. You could choose

Quartz

A7750

or Swiss ETA7750

How about a quartz sec@6 daytona in the near perfect noobfactory case? WBK has quartz HBB lites for just over $200.. he says same case, dial and strap as the HBB lite and ultimate, just with quarts movement and no AR like the lite version.

not bad... anyone know the weight difference between a A7750 and a quartz chrono?

I fully agree that Quartz is an ideal option for the seconds@6 buggy 7750. I tried a quartz Portuguese and the only thing that prevented me to keep it at the end was...its size ! :)

For the HBB quartz, I may think it has the soft rubber band ? Not the "resilient" ?

i wish quartz was an option. You could choose

Quartz

A7750

or Swiss ETA7750

How about a quartz sec@6 daytona in the near perfect noobfactory case? WBK has quartz HBB lites for just over $200.. he says same case, dial and strap as the HBB lite and ultimate, just with quarts movement and no AR like the lite version.

not bad... anyone know the weight difference between a A7750 and a quartz chrono?

A motor option in the same case and bracelet combination would be sweet! It really is a shame that most quartz reps have inferior dials, straps, and usually crystals as compared to their ETA and 7750 siblings.

I would also like to know how much of a difference in weight the movements make. I hear some say that the quartz reps feel light.

For the HBB quartz, I may think it has the soft rubber band ? Not the "resilient" ?

I like the HBB. I didnt know they could be had for only ~$200. Is the soft rubber a deal breaker?