When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pre-modded 217H

doc savage

I came home to one of my favorite sights--a parcel from China sitting on my desk. Inside I found this nice 47mm Destro, and the thing was still running! Puretime informed me that it had shipped a whopping 9 days ago; it took a little longer than normal since it routed through two sorting centers before leaving China. So either it has a nine-day power reserve or someone from Customs wound it for me. The package was not opened, by the way. I'm going to let it wind down until it stops just out of curiosity--my Swiss-movement 127 was only good for a couple of days on one wind.

DSC00970.jpg

I chose this particular dealer for my 217 because he offered a dagger-shaped swan neck regulator, correct text orientation on the movement, and convenient pre-modding services. You can see it here, the version I ordered came to $278 with mineral crystal (they were temporarily out of sapphire), superlumed dial and hands, and shipping. Only Asian movements are currently available.

I promptly replaced the rep croc strap with this extra long buffalo from FrxAndy, which has been sitting around waiting for a watch for far too long. It's a great strap and I can tell it's going to age really nicely.

DSC00967.jpg

I was a little bummed when I looked closely at the movement:

DSC00974.jpg

From the website: post-9908-1211263722_thumb.jpg

The real McCoy: post-9908-1211263746_thumb.jpg

The decoration on the movement is really nice, and pretty darn close to the gen, except for the upside down OFFICINE PANERAI.

Extreme Close-Up:

DSC00971.jpg

Yes, I have a poor camera and I take poor photos. What do you think of the cannon pin?

Superlumed dial and hands:

DSC00960.jpg

No long exposures, just held it close to a lamp for several seconds.

DSC00965.jpg

I did miss having a 47mm Panerai on my wrist.

DSC00968.jpg

Unless it's just the picture looks like you have paid $278 for a $140 watch! The cannon looks standard not flush and the movement with the exception of dagger is low grade Asian stuck on letters. Of course the pictures may be the problem

Unless it's just the picture looks like you have paid $278 for a $140 watch! The cannon looks standard not flush and the movement with the exception of dagger is low grade Asian stuck on letters. Of course the pictures may be the problem

I don't see stuck on letters, but I agree about the canon pinion. It *appears* to not be flush.

The cannon pin is almost flush:

Check the gap between the hands if very little then it's possible to get this effect "almost flush" by sanding down the hands and not replacing the pinion with H3 if gap is good then a little sanding down will make it completely flush. I see now from the better picture the bridge is engraved I know this watch they are better quality than the average. The AR is ok on them as well.

BTW doc u wear that 217 and it looks like a 44 mm pam at best ure wrist is massive ... lookin good !

Laz

That's what she said.

I just finished watching season 4 of The Office--didn't like it much at first but it's addicting!

Where can I find that strap? BTW, the 217 is amazing!

Send a pm to FrxAndy; I don't know if he has any more of this hide though. He custom made me this one with a nice long tail--the only strap I have EVER had on the smallest hole.