When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How long will my new rep last?

cj85

Hi Guys

Just joined a couple of days ago, and thanks to all the info on this site ordered my first replica a Yachtmaster $108 special from Josh. I had been looking at various watches and sites and trying to work out which I should choose. I decided based on very good reviews going for the YM Aisa 2813. I am yet to receive it but i'm guessing should have it sometime this week.

My question is, how long should this watch last???. I have bought $100 Replicas from places like Thailand while on holiday thinking they must be good for that kind of price only to find they last about a month. From your experience do these watches last?? I mean I know they are replicas, and not authentic but for my mind when anyone can go out and buy a really nice Seiko authentic or even a Tissot etc for between $100-300 and get YEARS of trouble free use out of it whats the point of buying a rep if infact you dont get the same out of a $100-300 replica etc

I kind of went off the idea of replicas and wear a Very reliable Titanium Seiko which was about $150, and also own an Authentic Tissot Lmt Edition Sports Watch. Both are great but I kind of wanted something new..... thus this recent purchase.

Any coments or experience with this watch or others with the same movement etc would be most appreciated

I've bought the yachtmaster from TTK a couple of months ago...and I gave it to my sister as a present...that is not interesting as much as the fact that my sister (even at 30 years of age) has the history in breaking each kind of stuff in a really short period of time...hey, the watch is attached on her wrist for the 4 month and she wears it as a daily beater...(keep in mind that those 4 months are like 4 years to a normal person with some regard to the watch that is wearing)...

seems that these yachties are built really good...and you won't regret buying one!

cj,

Welcome to the family. I'm still fairly new, but my first rep is now about 3 months and going strong. It is an Omega SMP with the ETA movement. Since then I also purchased a number of others at different price ranges. I've had most for a couple of months and no problems yet. From what I have seen, the dealers are responsive to most problems and so long as you purchase or trade for one of theirs you will be in good shape. If down the road it dies, then you can just look at it as a future project to mod on your own. Have fun and enjoy.

cdv

I have many replica watches and i have many that are still running after 10 years. I don't wear any one watch every day. With proper care a good replica can last you a good amount of time. Sometimes it is the luck of the draw however. I have watches that have stopped running after a few weeks.

If it is long lasting reliability and quality you want then this hobby is not for you. I don't expect much out of my replica watches so I am never dissapointed. Remember that a replica is only meant to look like something it is not and it is not meant to function like the genuine it is modeled after, thus the huge price difference..

That's right. But then again, if it's an ETA, and you service it early and regularly, as i believe The Zigmeister said, they should last just as long as a gen with an ETA movement, which is a long time. I have several that have lasted a very long time.

I started buying reps 3 years ago. I now have over 20 of them....mostly ETA and Asian 7750. ALL work like a charm telling very good time. Three years ago when you paid for a swiss ETA generally that is what you got. Today I am not quite sure since ETA movements are drying up in terms of availability. With many watches coming with asian clones or used/dirty ETA'a I am sure reps will not be as long lasting. I am trying to stick with Asian 7750 movements now since at least you know what you are getting. Also this movement sems to be a pretty good one that could last many years out of the box.

Hi guys thanks for all your comments. It seems it is all about luck of the draw. I'm glad I opted for the $100 YM, and not one of the $300 ones. While I can see that spending $300 will get you a better movement in theory (although I have read people here saying the ETA, 7750, and 21 j all can be about as equally reliable or not), $300 to me is a Tissot Authentic or just about any VERY high quality Seiko that will almost be guaranteed to last you at least 5 years.

I know friends who are builders & plumbers etc and wear walmart $25 watches that they have owned for 5+ years that keep perfect time. I see people here are into doing mods to their watches, and not knowing much about this wonder why someone wouldent just buy a Seiko (I use seiko as an example because having owned several they are bullet proof and keep amzaing time, i'm guessing there are several good jap watch companys) and put its movement into one of these watches?

Anyway thanks for all the info, and I guess I will wait and see if the watch I receive will be a good one :)

Ohh BTW how water proof are these Rep YM's??

Well the answer to my question is less then 4 hours. Watch arrived yesterday missing the Crown logo from the clasp. Worked during the day then stopped dead at around 10pm. Wound the watch manually as advised to by the seller and set the time at 11:30 pm and went to bed. Woke up this morning and watch was dead. Died at 3:13 am. 3 hours 43 minutes on a full wind.

Photos attached:

post-13408-1212010384_thumb.jpgpost-13408-1212010412_thumb.jpg

I have another watch on order that was paid for a week ago and still has not been shipped, and am awaiting on what the seller suggests to do with the YM. I'm more then a little disappointed thus far with my first real Replicas. I'm not sure I could have done any more research then I did taking all advise and buying from trusted sellers etc to avoid a bad experience.

Edited by cj85

• 4 months later...
Well the answer to my question is less then 4 hours. Watch arrived yesterday missing the Crown logo from the clasp. Worked during the day then stopped dead at around 10pm. Wound the watch manually as advised to by the seller and set the time at 11:30 pm and went to bed. Woke up this morning and watch was dead. Died at 3:13 am. 3 hours 43 minutes on a full wind.

I have another watch on order that was paid for a week ago and still has not been shipped, and am awaiting on what the seller suggests to do with the YM. I'm more then a little disappointed thus far with my first real Replicas. I'm not sure I could have done any more research then I did taking all advise and buying from trusted sellers etc to avoid a bad experience.

CJ, what did you do abot the YM? Did you send it back or just say to hell with it? I ask because I just purchased the same watch and it too is my first. Came across your post after the fact. :o

Here is my LV from Josh from almost two years ago with the "2813" movement. I think it is a Miyota copy movement.

post-180-1224202698_thumb.jpg

Same movement and same $108 price. It had a few teething problems which were all taken care of by Josh but I am happy to say that I am still wearing it today and it keeps time to 2 to 4 seconds a day. Your mileage may vary, but at $108 with Josh, you will get good mileage.

BTW I have bought many other reps over the years and can say that few have not been acceptably reliable.

Carl

Some problems can be fixed by a watchsmith, or by replacing the movement with a genuine if compatible with the watch you buy. My wife has a rolex daydate that has broken a few times, but has been fixable each time because it accepts genuine ETA parts. The yachmaster will accept a genuine ETA movement that can be ordered and installed by a watchsmith. So, you have options. Yes, the watch costs $100, but the real one costs over $9,000. If you have to put another hundred or two into it to make it last for several years, it may well be worth it.

I have gone thru 4 YM's over the last year or so and 3/4 stopped working after a month or so including my current watch. I think I'm not meant to have a YM. All my other reps *knock on wood* have been good to me. I'm going to swap in a spare eta I have sooner or later but that's gonna be a project in itself