When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Did you know there was a gen PVD Sub?

Guest Sql_pl

Guys, I've never owned a PVD watch before. The whole physical vapor deposition process, it leaves such a thin layer, can I assume that the coating is easily scratched through? Or is it like super scratch resistant?

I think the black sub looks alright, one with the SS showing through the scratches though would look poor I think.

Pro-Hunter sounds lame. They should get rid of it altogether or replace it with something more fitting like 'Tactical' or something.

Edited by Greystash

Now that's cool! I've never really likely Rollie's... too common for me... but some of the more unusual pieces have been growing on me. This one is fantastic. Might even consider a gen if you can call these gens.... although (check it out) the prices are nutty!

Guest Sql_pl

Hmm if it is not made by Rolex than how do they handle warranty and servicing?

I mean Rolex is extremely strict and they do not accept a watch that was modified in ANY way to service at their centers immediately calling it a fake. So how is it done with these? Or was it an official collaboration that alows it to be serviced in RSCs?

If they were selling like hot cakes and can be serviced at RSC what better idea is than to buy some gen 16610s, PVD them and sell at huge profit?

Hmm if it is not made by Rolex than how do they handle warranty and servicing?

I mean Rolex is extremely strict and they do not accept a watch that was modified in ANY way to service at their centers immediately calling it a fake. So how is it done with these? Or was it an official collaboration that alows it to be serviced in RSCs?

If they were selling like hot cakes and can be serviced at RSC what better idea is than to buy some gen 16610s, PVD them and sell at huge profit?

I read somewhere on gen forum, Rolex doesn't cover the warranty on these pieces.

Warranty is always covered by an insurance-contract for big companys - so the costs are very calculable.

Another point is: they have modified the watches in total - this means they had it completely apart before and could examine and QC everything - the chances that such a watch fails within the warranty are very low...

Always being refused by RSC is bad for the reselling value - being a special limited model raises it - I think at the end of the day it will balance it and the value will be well protected ;)

True collectors also know that a service by an experienced watchmaker is at least as good as one from RSC - or would you feel uncomfortable if Ziggy has serviced your genuine Roley ? I certainly would feel better than getting a watch back from RSC - only advantage at RSC is that you have a receipt of them which keeps the value of your watch high...

Guest Sql_pl

@namor

Yes, I know that it can be even better when done by The Zigmeister or similar watchsmiths with passion but the problem is it would be really hard to sell an expensive watch like that to regular Gen watch buyer who is used to sending all his gens directly to their brand's service center and make him send it for every service to an uncertified watchsmith or -with exagerration- "a garage around the corner"

Guest Sql_pl

@dadog

Their website is called "bjsonline".... I think I do not need to tell you what this address always makes me think of :)

A hard work sometimes :)

Of course no offene to the lady in the pic ;)

the hands of that lady doesn't look like lady's hands! :lol: ...more like worker in a harbour...who works two shifts a day and unloads 10.000 kg per day with them!

Well I'm not sure I want to cross the hand not carrying a watch for anyfing else but moving some furniture :rofl:

@dadog

Their website is called "bjsonline".... I think I do not need to tell you what this address always makes me think of :)

A hard work sometimes :)

Of course no offene to the lady in the pic ;)

Maciek, this guy is very well-known in London circles as one of the foremost Rolex dealers. Slightly controversial (some auction dealings which I won't go into here) but respected in terms of what he can lay his hands on, especially in the vintage market.

The Pro-Hunter types are nothing new or strange. Bamford & Sons have also been producing various PVD Rollies (vintage and modern) for the last couple of years also. Same deal, pre-RSC-serviced, warranty via an indie Rolex-trained watchsmith. If you do a search I recall posting about these (5513 and 1675) a year or possibly two ago.

Price is at a premium, way above list, but you have to realise these are not aimed at the safe queens who are looking to make an investment, just collectors who want something 'a bit different' or like the military look.