When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of my budget Monaco

I have had a love of retro style watches for some time now. I have a couple of oldie rollie reps that I love, and have had great fun modding.

Well that love of things retro has finally lead me here, to the TAG Monaco (I some how knew it would). It seems fitting that I should post this today, as Lewis Hamilton has raced to victory for Britain in the Monaco F1 Grand Prix. Go Lewis!

I will start this review off by apologizing in advance to the purists out there. This is a review of the cheaper end of the market. Yes you guessed it.... QUARTZ! (I can hear your screams from here).

Well if you are still reading then let me introduce you to the genuine article also known as the 'McQueen'.

Original.jpg

Steve McQueen wore this watch (though known just as Heuer then) in the 1971 action film Le Mans. TAG Heuer use his image currently in advertising the modern version of this watch. Anyway, enough about the king of cool, and back to the review. For those of you who can't guess (or are hard of seeing) the gen pics are on the left ;) .

I bought this version from Tony over on CQout. Very prompt service, as always from this off board dealer. The watch is very sturdily put together, and feels substantial on the wrist. It weighs in at 180g. It has a thick cushion shaped mineral glass, which feels bullet proof. The dial is a beautiful steel blue, with silver brushed sub-dials. When the light catches the dial, it is reflected by the sunray finish, and looks stunning (picture does no justice to this effect).

IMG_3135.jpg

So how does it compare to an original. To be honest, poorly. However, although the flaws are obvious, the overall impression is (I think) passable, bearing in mind the price tag.

Compare-1.jpg

OK the original has running seconds at three etc. etc. This has been well documented by others on this board, and is the reason that they will never buy a rep version of this model. I suppose that I can understand this, as I would never contemplate buying the Asian 21J automatic version, as I simply could not bear having non-functioning sub-dials. Inside, the movement is probably a Miyota OS21 (though I haven't opened the case back yet).

From side on, the case appears thick and chunky. This is an aspect of this model I love.

Compare-3.jpg

On the reverse of the case, the engraving is not so good. There is little depth to the logo and text. But as this side is never on show, I can live with that. Case back is secured to the case with 4 screws, as per the original (though the placement is wrong).

Compare-2.jpg

My version comes on a SS bracelet; the original also can come on a croc strap. I am very impressed with the bracelet. It is heavy, and articulates well. It has an alternating finish across its width of brushed steel and polished links, just as the gen. The deployant clasp is the butterfly type, rather than the single sided version found on the gen. Very comfy to wear. I must admit I prefer the look of the watch on the croc strap. I have a Hirsch strap on order and am looking forward to transforming the character of the watch when it arrives.

IMG_2892.jpg

I would highly recommend this rep to anyone who is looking for a perfectly wearable good value for money rep. OK it does represent the bottom end of the market, but there are some of us out there, me included, who are happy to own a few watches that are simply a bit of fun. How much, did I hear you ask? Well for

• 5 months later...

I love how the dial reads "CHRONOGRAPH" instead of "AUTOMATIC CHRONOGRAPH"--typical rep honesty. At least they didnt print "QUARTZ"!

It's clever in a way; someone who inspects it closely enough to notice the ticking seconds hand and read the fine print could still be fooled if they don't happen to know Tags.

A good looking watch and sure a good buy for the price! Not many square watches which looks as good as this. :)

This was one of the watches which caught my eye even before I really got into watches, have never bought a rep of it though. My blue-dial Air-King has the same "sunray-effect" on the dial. Stunning!

Good choice, Slatibartfast! Once more, seems like we have similar taste. :lol:

Good choice, Slatibartfast! Once more, seems like we have similar taste. :lol:

It seems so! Quite uncanny, as I also have a blue Airking (which I had before the white faced model I bought from you).

Spooooky!

Your Airking has been changed into an Explorer 1 BTW, with a dial purchased second hand off the board here. Still going strong!