When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

No Date

vlydog

The facts:

After viewing many pictures and reading many posts I have decided to go ahead with a new project.

Thanks to Stephane, I now have RDD (Rolex Dependency Disorder)

toomuchgear has given me lots of information to get started but I would like to hear others' advice too.

On its way:

MBW/MBK 5513 with a spare 5517 dial

Gen 5513 bezel insert

Gen Tropic 19 super-dome

Gen crown and tube

I have not decided on which dial to use.

Can I please get some opinions as to which dial looks best with consideration to the above parts.

1. RolexDial5513Gilt.jpg

2. DialRolexl5513MaxiDial.jpg

3. DialRolex5513WhiteLetter660200.jpg

Unfortunately the standard MBW dials are no good.

The 5513 dial comes with unconvincing writing and coronet. The 5512 dial has white writing but the markers appear undersize and will need reluming to look good.

Although the base watch is easily improved and looks good when done you will need to source a decent dial.

I ended up selling mine and going for the 1665 because I did not like the dial options.

Subpart2010a.jpg

Unfortunately the standard MBW dials are no good.

The 5513 dial comes with unconvincing writing and coronet. The 5512 dial has white writing but the markers appear undersize and will need reluming to look good.

Although the base watch is easily improved and looks good when done you will need to source a decent dial.

I ended up selling mine and going for the 1665 because I did not like the dial options.

Subpart2010a.jpg

In my last email conversation with Chris @eurotimez, he assured me that the font on the dial would be white not yellowed.

@ Vlydog, I ordered the watches, but at the time MBK was in CHina and told his ppl to ship me 2x 5513 with 5513 dials.... However when I picked it up 2 days ago it had a 5512 dial on it.... I have to reorder your watch again. Should be here in 2-3 days... so please hang in there... Cool project that your setting up...

here is your 5517 dial... that came in 2 days ago.

post-935-1211951651_thumb.jpg

post-935-1211952374_thumb.jpg

Well it looks like the MBK 5513 dial with white font is not available as previously thought.

It may be 1 or 2 months before they have one ready.

My back-up plan is to use a dial from NDT.

If I may ask for your help once again please, what dial from the pictures below looks the best with reguard to accuracey?

A white font meters first dial would be my choice but it is currently not available.

5513 guilt:

RolexDial5513Gilt.jpg

"Maxi"

DialRolexl5513MaxiDial.jpg

660/200

DialRolex5513WhiteLetter660200.jpg

Given what I just found this on doubleredseadweller.com

Different Configurations.

As I mentioned earlier, there were several configurations of mil subs that are considered correct and original depending on the age and batch.

- The 5513 milsub was delivered with either sword hands or mercedes hands from new

- The 5513 milsub came with either full 60 minute bezel insert or 15 min bezel insert from new.

-The 5517 milsub was delievered ONLY with sword hands and full 60 minute bezel

Would it be erroneous to build the 5513 with mercedes hands, 15 minute bezel insert and "T" dial?

If I may ask for your help once again please, what dial from the pictures below looks the best with reguard to accuracey?

5513 guilt:

RolexDial5513Gilt.jpg

This 1 looks pretty decent to me. Properly vintagized (couple of light sprays with matte varnish) & with the right (vintagized) hands, I think this would work. Nothing about it makes me look twice (in a suspicious way).