When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My modded Breitling Super Avenger.

robertb

I picked up this SA last week and received it today. When I opened the package I was less than thrilled, I'm a perfectionist so it was very rough by my standards. I am in no way bashing the seller here, he did fully disclose that the watch had scratches on it from normal wear and I would assume that this watch would have been perfectly acceptable to most of you guys. Not for me though, it had a lot of swirls and scratches, it needed a serious cleaning and overall was far from pristine like new condition (like the rest of my watches). Not a bad thing because I live for this stuff, there is no greater joy than rejuvenating something to like new condition! To make it perfectly clear, it was a good transaction and in general I am pleased with the watch and satisfied with the seller's description of the watch.

This SA seems to be an earlier model because the date wheel is better than my other SA that I picked up new a couple of weeks ago. It has The Zigmeister lume, the movement was serviced by The Zigmeister, Chieftang AR, and a gen bezel. I ordered a gen rubber strap for it today as well. I wish I had taken a before photo but if you look at the bezel, there are 4 flat areas at 3,6,9,12 and you can see how scratched they are. I didn't do anything to it so that gives you an idea of the condition it was in.... don't worry, I will get to the bezel when the gen strap comes in. :D

085copy.jpg

Obligatory lume shot.

096copy.jpg

I waterproofed most of my watches but haven't done a chrono before and since I already had it apart, this SA was tonight's victim. :o I didn't want to take a chance so I decased the movement before testing, greased the seals, submerged it in warm water for 30 mins, I even pushed the chrono pushers a bunch of times underwater to see if it would hold water during use. Then I heated up the case with a blow dryer until it got super hot. No steam inside the watch so it's watertight! A watertight rep chrono, with functional underwater pushers!!!! :D

It bothered me as well so even though I already had a modded SA, picked this one up because of the AR. The AR is only on the inside so the bottle effect is still there, just not as obvious. Double AR should help a lot so I may end up sending my other one out for double AR and lume.

Congrats! hese SAs are driving me crazy as well. I modded an Avenger Ti chrono with gen hands, gen dial, swiss 7750 and even a gen DW but it took a lot of time to collect all the parts.

I tried to get gen parts for the SA but wasn't succesful. So I gave up. But now I am considering a purchase from ruby because these reps seem to be good bases for a modd.

Where did you source the gen bezel?

The fault is with the crystal itself..Just a cheaper type of crystal I think.

The double AR makes a huge difference and you can see in my photo that it does indeed disappear....Not just at every angle though.

Not a deal breaker though as the coke bottle issue only appears on quite a steep angle.

Skyland should be available next month.

I hear you :D I will be in, definetely!

BTW: My Super Avenger projects starts: Just bought an original bezel on the bay. Now I am waiting for ruby's SA rep.

Ruby told me that the subdials do not have concentric rings. Does anyone have an idea where to source a gen dial?

Hey guys, FYI: AR is going to reduce reflections to near 0, making it appear as those there is no crystal at all... But if the crystal itself has optical aberrations due to poor manufacturing (i.e. coke bottle effect), those are going to still be there and in fact maybe become more apparent. This is a problem I've seen on some Omega crystals as well. The best thing would be to find a higher quality sapphire domed crystal as a replacement. OFrei has a decent selection.

Edited by chieftang

1. i have genuine parts for this watch. yes and hands. however very $$$$ as these are the last of my stocks and they are on NATIONAL B/O with no e.t.a. from breitling.ch on shipments. if you cannot afford 4fig don't ask or beg please.

yes i have dials black/white in stock, blue i can order.

yes i have NEW OEM bezels, with all screws and the INNER MOUNTING RING!!! you need this! those on the internet are pulled bezels and do not have inner ring and /or screws as the ADs reuse these when mounting the new dia. bling bezels.

2. i have the gen watches. the crystal is also with some 'coke affect' i believe this is because the watch is so deep. while is is better/not as severe as the rep w/ AR the gen is not like other more shallow watches or even like my gen PO chrono's.

3. if you know of a aftermarket crystal that will fit, please post in this thread or PM me! :-)

ps: please note that many ADs are using the avenger hands (shorter) when making dia. modded gens. since these are avail but the SA (larger/longer hands) are OUT OF STOCK.

Edited by DISCOVERY110