When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are You Denial That The Watches You Have Are Reps

monster-rat1

Is anyone ells in denial that the watches you have are reps? I mean I don’t treat them like a rep, as a matter of fact I treat all my watches (in my case all Rolex’s) like a genuine should be treated with care. I have 2 genuine, a Submariner & a GMT Master II I don’t treat them any different than my reps. Does anyone ells feel this way or is it just me.

:bounce:

Watch list

MBW Sub 16610 / Rep

Yacht-Master / Rep from King

Turn-O-Graph / Rep from E.L.

Vintage Sub 5513 white dial / from Paul, dial from Joe

Date Just / from Paul

Submariner / Genuine

GMT Master II / Genuine

On the way to me from Josh

Daytona leather band / from Josh

Explorer II white face / from Josh

My reps are less expensive than gens. But, they're not cheap, especially after modding them to include oem parts. Still, I appreciate wearing them without worrying about inevitable wear through normal, careful use. I've owned gens, but didn't like the constant fear of dinging, scratching the them.

I'm not in Denial, that's a river in Egypt. But my wife has menioned the possibility of a twelve step program for my watch affliction/addiction.

I think of my watch collection as a hierarchy. At the bottom are the cheapos that go to the gym, do yardwork and generally get banged around, like the $60 CN Datejust and the C-omex DRSD w/ the golden C movement- $50, haven't opened up the case yet, could it be a Seagull like the 5512 from TWG?

Then there's the waterproof knock-offs and economical gens, good for swimming, etc.

Heuer Lambelet GMT quartz- 200m

William Marshall sub, 2824 movt- 200m

Zodiac Red Point Dive watch- 200m

The better reps

Puretime 6238

WM red 1680 w/ mods

CN 16610 sub

And finally the better gens

a couple of vintage Rolexes

a Jean Marcel Grand Complication

a Wittnauer v72 chrono

some other vintage chronos

And of course there are others, Navitimer knock-offs, Daytona reps

I try to take care of all of my watches, but some more than others, and some of the other cheapos will get taken apart eventually, like the 6694 Oysterdate from Silix- I've got my eye on that eta movt, I just haven't figured out where it's going for the greater cause, I just can't stand the weak date mag on the 6694.

I treat my 111 as a daily beater but still being careful with it, my 212 and 183 get much more care and I'm careful not to scratch them. I do treat them like I would treat a genuine $4K+ Pam, but I never think of them as genuine, they are what they are - reps. But with the cost of new crown guard and servicing they are treated with care.

As a matter of fact my genuine and quite old Omega get's beat up more then my reps.

I'm in denial about everything else....except my reps.

The pleasure they give me is undeniable, and that's what counts. Quite honestly, I'd feel like a total ass with tens of thousands of dollars worth of genuine watches hanging on my wrist. Reps are like space travel for the common man: no need of a billion-dollar program to put oneself into orbit.

And as they get better and better, the replicas will occupy the place that the genuines do now, as the latter progressively become the unfortunate and expensive versions of their more adapted and accessible counterparts.

If it takes three months' of the average guy's salary to purchase the genuine of his dreams, what's going to happen when he can offer a 1:1 version of the same watch for the equivalent of three hours?

For me, replica watches open a dimension of freedom and pleasure which has formerly been reserved for those with either many times my disposable income or the willingness to sacrifice other pleasures for the sake of acquiring an often unrealistically-priced genuine article.

Replica watches are authentically subversive - but not in the sense that their critics would have you believe. Like the danger that laughter represented to the guardians of a rigid status quo in Umberto Ecco's 'The Name of the Rose', reps reverse the established order:they're a non-violent cultural and sociological revolution.

Let a thousand flowers (and reps) bloom.