When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any Blackberry Curve users here?

Guest carlsbadrolex

Guest carlsbadrolex

Does anyone here use a Blackberry Curve? Three weeks ago I changed my phone service from Verizon to ATnT because I was tired of having to walk outside and down my drive way to make a phone call. I picked up a Samsung Blackjack II because it seemed cool and was pretty cheap (as far as smartphones go these days). It lasted less than a week before the phone just stopped turning on and had to be replaced. After a second brand new BlackJack II died, I decided it might be better to go with another phone.

My truck has built in bluetooth with a touch screen and I wanted a phone that had a good record of working with my particular stereo. SO I went with the BlackBerry Curve 8320. It has all the features I needed and allowed me to use all the functions of my trucks Bluetooth. I transfered the phone book perfectly, I am able to touch my screen and use the voice dial by simply saying, "call *******", and the signal strength and battery level is also shown on the screen.

Today I was able to download and install the beta version of the new BlackBerry OS (4.5.0.37) It added the ability for the camera to be used as a video camera and tele/video coferencing, it added "documents to go" so I can open word docs, it added voice recorded (which I didnt understand not being available in the previous version) and several very cool new themes. I can also now used an 8gb micro SD card instead of just the 4gb that was in it.

I had read about some potential issues with the install and operation of the beta, but the installation was a breeze and all functions work perfectly.

I fear that with using a SIM card phone system, I am going to be collecting phones also. I already have my eye on a Nokia N95 with 8gb of internal memory and a 5mp camera...

If anyone else is interested in the update software I can let you know where to find it... I can also take pics if there is interest.

T

Hey CBR where did you find the update? I have seen them around here and there but have had not so good luck using some of them. SInce you acctually tried and are able to use the one you got it would make me willing to try it out.

Hey CBR where did you find the update? I have seen them around here and there but have had not so good luck using some of them. SInce you acctually tried and are able to use the one you got it would make me willing to try it out.

+ 1 Ditto! I have been using my 8300 for over a year now and it is the best CP I've owned!

BTW: The Bold is suppose to be out sometime this summer.

EDITED For a shout out to CB: Give up the site Dude or just post it for us to download!!!!!

Guest carlsbadrolex

The site that I downloaded it from has removed it... BUT I have it saved as a zip file. If someone can accept a large attachment (89.9mb) I can send it to them to post. After a few days of use, I have not found a single application that doesnt work properly. I have not lost any functionality at all and the browser speeds seem to have improved.

T

The site that I downloaded it from has removed it... BUT I have it saved as a zip file. If someone can accept a large attachment (89.9mb) I can send it to them to post. After a few days of use, I have not found a single application that doesnt work properly. I have not lost any functionality at all and the browser speeds seem to have improved.

T

try here - to upload

http://www.megaupload.com/

Guest carlsbadrolex

OK, I registered and will use that. I will let you know when its uploaded. My understanding it that I need the interested parties email address and then this host sends an email with a link to use to dl the file...

OK, I registered and will use that. I will let you know when its uploaded. My understanding it that I need the interested parties email address and then this host sends an email with a link to use to dl the file...

Thanks, Dude!

Guest carlsbadrolex

Ok, I have created an account and uploaded the file. I need PM's from those of you who want this file with your email address.

You do not need to register for anything, but a link needs to be emailed to you for the download.

Guest carlsbadrolex

Did you use the .37 version or one of the earlier 4.5 releases? I have updated 4 blackberrys in the last two days and all work flawlessly.

Also, just an FYI... If you need to unlock your phone and have ATnT service, do not call the 611 number and ask for the unlock code. Call the International customer service number (916-843-4685) I had my unlock code and specific instructions of how to unlock the phone sent to me in about 20 minutes. I dont see how some services charge as much as $50 for the unlock code...

Did you use the .37 version or one of the earlier 4.5 releases? I have updated 4 blackberrys in the last two days and all work flawlessly.

Also, just an FYI... If you need to unlock your phone and have ATnT service, do not call the 611 number and ask for the unlock code. Call the International customer service number (916-843-4685) I had my unlock code and specific instructions of how to unlock the phone sent to me in about 20 minutes. I dont see how some services charge as much as $50 for the unlock code...

t

Yeah, .37. It's one of the known issues now. Looks like .42 (which fixes the UMA and memory leak issues) will be the earliest release candidate.

I love my 8310 and can't imagine working without it..I have also been reading up on this over at CB and well i'm just a bit worried about the update (atleast while it was simply in BETA) I might checkout the Vodafone link or maybe just wait till ATT decides to releases upgrade? No?

I got the .42 version working just fine, it was a rather quick update for me, maybe 30 minutes possibly less. I must admit though my memeory card isn't nearly as full as it should be so maybe the restore part of the update took less time wiht my Cuve.

The options that were added are very much appreciated, the enw theme allows for home icons to go along the vertical and horizontal length of the screen and call me crazy but i think it runs a tad faster now..

Overall I like it. and recommend it for those of you who have an 8310,20 or 30