When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 1655, Steve Mc Queen: Gathering informations

Stephane

I know I'm a couple months late, but why can't we? I swear I've got the same version (minus the box / papers / caseback sticker). Granted, I bought it several years ago, but I thought a couple dealers still had it. I'll get into further detail if I find that I'm understanding the 'if only' comment correctly. Thanks, Arty

Oh, yes Arty. Please.

The Hompo one looks brilliant.

But it seems impossible for us to buy it straight.

Cheers

Stephane

I'll second that Stephane.

Still seeking a 'decent' wearable base 1655 for 'fun' and ongoing mods, and the Honpo version looks ideally suited to that end.

Here's mine- I think it's the same as Honpo's-

DSC00824.JPG

DSC00826.JPG

DSC00827.JPG

Got it from here-out of business:

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

image004.jpg

I was going to provide a few links I had bookmarked where you can sill get this, one was Pam111.com, but the model doesn't show up anymore! Arty

Thanks Arty.

I agree it looks the same watch to me...

Anyway, the fun is that I'm building one with bits and parts from various sources.

We'll see what it will look like.

I'll keep you posted.

@Doc: yes...a pitty that it take so much time to put a good one toghether but in the end it's what makes the hobby so exiting :)

Cheers

Stephane

Yes, please keep us posted. Oh, I forgot this shot of the tall plexi crystal...

DSC00825.JPG

Hi guys,

I'm quite confident that the version Arty has is the same as the "Top Grade Vintage" offering from Andrew. The "Top Grade" was one of the three 1655's I owned at one point to cobble together a franken (although, I believe Lanikai has passed me up owning 4 of them :o ). The crown guards are the tell all that it's the same watch by their shape. This is also the one Dluddy used for his 1655.

To my eyes this version is underscaled in that the proportions of the dial and bezel are too small compared to a gen which is why I didn't use it as the base for my 1655. See the comparison pix below from a review I did long ago (TTK's "MBW" on the left and Andrew's Top Grade on the right).

That's just my $.02 and it's worth what you pay for it :D.

DSCN3728.jpg

Hi guys,

I'm quite confident that the version Arty has is the same as the "Top Grade Vintage" offering from Andrew. The "Top Grade" was one of the three 1655's I owned at one point to cobble together a franken (although, I believe Lanikai has passed me up owning 4 of them :o ). The crown guards are the tell all that it's the same watch by their shape. This is also the one Dluddy used for his 1655.

To my eyes this version is underscaled in that the proportions of the dial and bezel are too small compared to a gen which is why I didn't use it as the base for my 1655.

That's just my $.02 and it's worth what you pay for it :D .

I agree TMG. It is the same as Trusty's Top Grade and it is slightly underscaled. I used it for a couple of reasons:

Better Dial

Starter Lug Holes

I liked the bezel and case shape better

At the end of the research I concluded that only a Viet case was going to be extremely accurate so choose your poison. I chose not to spend $1300 on a case as did everyone else from what I can tell.

You know I've almost come to dread every 1655 thread, it's a form of torture in a way, as I know exactly what the outcome is every time. But I can't help it, the sense of morbid fascination that makes me click that thread reply notification....

Once again, I'm reminded that the project represents something of a Hobson's choice.

Either pay three times for each donor to get a fairly accurate hybrid, plus throw in at least another couple of hundred/lots of time on further mods.....

Or stump up the obscenely hiked-up price of an NDT Viet case, then pick up some very nice parts to do it justice.

Either way, building a 1655 is not for the faint of heart or wallet. God knows I wish I could expunge it from that part of my cortex that desires things, but it's had its thorny little tentacles stuck in there for a good few years now, and shows no sign of giving up.

Either way, building a 1655 is not for the faint of heart or wallet. God knows I wish I could expunge it from that part of my cortex that desires things, but it's had its thorny little tentacles stuck in there for a good few years now, and shows no sign of giving up.

Haha i agree doc. Like TMG I been through a Josh, a Trusty and and a MBW and still had to raid my parts bin to cobble together a hollowlink bracelet.

I used the case from Trusty's drilling the lugsholes through (not easy, the ss on these cases is tough). The caseback and bezel ring off of the Josh (thanks dluddy) and a gen tropic 127 (a 116 doesn't fit so good). The MBW i recieved came with a 5513 case which is totally wrong for this project. The dial is the best of the lot but is too small to fit in any other case. I vintaged it anyway just for fun.

I have sent the Trusty dial to Micheal at Classicwatchparts and have a set of Omega flightmaster hands so hopefully will have it all put together soon.

But as Doc says "building a 1655 is not for the faint of heart or wallet"

Here's some pics of project so far....

ex6.jpg

ex4.jpg

ex2.jpg

ex3.jpg

ex-dial.jpg

cheers for looking

P.

Pete, curious about your project. You were able to use the bezel from the Josh model on the smaller Trusty case?

Yes they're interchangeable. I have your case (Josh) in my hand now and the Trusty bezel. It will go on with a crystal press.

The Josh bezel has the thinner numbers found on later 1655's which i prefer...

Cheers

P.

At all,

I've herited of TMG's MBW case and send it to drill lugholes.

The engraved model number is totally wrong (not that I really care :D ) and Omega doubt it is a MBW.

It's possible that Neil sold stuff that was not MBW in those times of course.

Rolex1655_800_06.jpg

Next week the complete set (case and parts) should go to MM and we'll see what comes out of his inspection.

But, let me tell you all: this is the most exiting project I ever had!

It seems I might have to start it all over again several times to get it right without considering the viet case...

UNLESS: Girards comes with a new mystery source like the recent Tudor we all got ... :lol:

Cheers

Stephane

At all,

I've herited of TMG's MBW case and send it to drill lugholes.

The engraved model number is totally wrong (not that I really care :D ) and Omega doubt it is a MBW.

It's possible that Neil sold stuff that was not MBW in those times of course.

Rolex1655_800_06.jpg

Next week the complete set (case and parts) should go to MM and we'll see what comes out of his inspection.

But, let me tell you all: this is the most exiting project I ever had!

It seems I might have to start it all over again several times to get it right without considering the viet case...

UNLESS: Girards comes with a new mystery source like the recent Tudor we all got ... :lol:

Cheers

Stephane

Stephane,

When I asked TTK about this he said it was from the same source as MBW's but said they may have sourced the parts or most of the watch from another manufacturer. This is why I refer to it as "supposed" MBW. It seems Eurotimez 1655 "supposed" MBW is different than the one I purchased as Polexpete mentioned.

The case is still a good base though, I did not want to deal with the lug holes when I had it. I have to say my 1655 was by far one of my most anticipated projects too especially knowing the Omega hands could be fitted to the mvmt.

Keep us posted on the progress my friend!

Have we settled on what the correct crown/tube combo is yet?

I show 24-600+ as the crown....

My rep crown Sucks and is not working correctly so this is a priority for me

I really wonder which one will be the right combo.

I got a gen crown and tube in the package but I doubt both will fit.

When I have more information I'll let you know guys.

Stephane,

When I asked TTK about this he said it was from the same source as MBW's but said they may have sourced the parts or most of the watch from another manufacturer. This is why I refer to it as "supposed" MBW. It seems Eurotimez 1655 "supposed" MBW is different than the one I purchased as Polexpete mentioned.

The case is still a good base though, I did not want to deal with the lug holes when I had it. I have to say my 1655 was by far one of my most anticipated projects too especially knowing the Omega hands could be fitted to the mvmt.

Keep us posted on the progress my friend!

Sure S. I will keep you posted.

No matter what the case source is in the end ;)

As long as in the end the result is cool...

In example, as I do not intend to show off or fool anybody, what is engraved between the lugs really don't bother me at all :D

Anyway, first step is done: lugholes :1a: That was quite a hard job though :blink:

Cheers

Stephane

Have we settled on what the correct crown/tube combo is yet?

I show 24-600+ as the crown....

My rep crown Sucks and is not working correctly so this is a priority for me

Fyi I got a gen 6mm twinlock crown and it fits perfectly on the Trusty rep tube. But not sure if its a 24-600

cheers

P.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...