When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Oil up almost $11 per barrel

Sir-Lancelot

the truly sad part is, we have TONS of proven finds and yet we can't drill for it, we can't build a new refinery, we can't build clean nuclear reactors... The greenies have us totally hamstrung, so we're at the mercy of OPEC. That is what stinks.

Oil will eventually run out. Want to start looking for alternatives now or later?

As for nuclear, once we have a walk-away safe reactor with zero waste, I'm all for it. Until then, we're stuck with coal and oil. Maybe we should have started looking for alternatives earlier, eh?

Don't blame it on the Greens. Blame it on an energy-inefficient society with no back-up plans and a [censored]-the-future attitude.

I guess my bottom line is, why are the USA taxpayers feeding, healing and policing the world, and being called on the carpet when something goes wrong?

Believe me, most of the world would wish you'd stop policing the world too. :)

The reason you're doing all these things is because you're reliant on all these countries in some way. Whether it's cheap labour, resources, whatever, you're getting something out of the deal.

The rise in oil prices is due to speculation - when Israel threatens Iran, prices shoot up - you may notice that Israel hasn't actually affected the supply of oil from Iran in any form yet we'll pay more at the gas station next week.

I hold this economic commentator in high regard - check it out if you're interested: Anatole Kaletsky - The Times (UK)

Believe me, most of the world would wish you'd stop policing the world too. :)

The thing is, so do most American's. 99% of the what I see in the US is no one supporting anything our government is doing. The only thing you will hear Americans saying frequently is we support the TROOPS themselves, and we want them back on our soil, now!

We've definately lost way too much control over our legislature.

Just out of interest do the American folk feel any resentment to the increasing demand from the China or India?

China's demand for oil is expected to continue to increase by five to seven per cent a year. If that happens, China will surpass the United States as the world's largest consumer of oil by 2025.

High Energy prices are good, the sooner the better.

The only way to force the US to start investing in alternative energy, and alternative energy is the only way to get rid of dependence on fundamentalists..

Trading with Cuba is a big no no.. but trading with fundamentalists is ok as long as they have oil..

So I applaud every increase in oil prices..

it already forced Hummer out of business.. the most horrible looking car ever..

And the US investing in Windenergy at record levels.. local money, locally invested, build by local firms, local research, local maintenance.. sounds so much better. High energy prices.. bring them on..

Wouldn't it be great to tell the **** friends to go eh eh fishing :-))

I'm all for taking care of the enviroment but not at the expense of the economy.

Now dont take me for some green sandel wearing loon but if we dont take care of the enviroment we wont need an ecomomy will we, eventualy we will all be brown bread!

the truly sad part is, we have TONS of proven finds and yet we can't drill for it, we can't build a new refinery, we can't build clean nuclear reactors... The greenies have us totally hamstrung, so we're at the mercy of OPEC. That is what stinks.

Can't fill up people's tanks w/ blame (although high gas prices and a weak dollar represent actual real world policies of the current administration) and we can't drill our way out of more than 3% of the gap even by putting six oil wells in every texan's and alaskan's back yard. We sure do need more nuke plants and most moderate environmentalists are with us on that--In fact, the energy output/environmental risk ratio is so much better with nuclear power than drilling that they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence unless it's just for the purpose of politics.

To answer the OP's question: we'll get a break when the interests of the hundred million or so consumers of fuel are placed before the few thousand people who rely on oil for the majority of their incomes and when we don't have to fire treasury secretaries for slipping up and telling the truth, as Paul O'Neill did when he said a weak dollar amounted to a tax cut for large corporations. Sadly, I don't see thing changing much no matter who wins in novemer--the interests that like high oil prices and a weak dollar have far more juice with both parties than the rest of us do collectively.

but the weak $$ is nice ;)

Sure is, that's why I propose all US members w/ sweet, high-demand reps for sale assign equal prices for dollars and euros..for example, if I ever sell my gen CG/gen dial/gen hands/gen crown/jimmy case/custom caseback 03 T, It'll be offered for $1600 shipped anywhere conus and 1600 euros shipped to europe--the mirror image of what our european friends do every day. For great reps, the domestic demand should be more than sufficient in case EU members have to pass on a few nice reps. .