When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Customs Europe (TWO delivered, 1 to go)

DaveAsXxo

Hey guys,

I ordered 3 watches, 2 from Josh and 1 from Angus. Josh sent me the watches in 2 shipments, one using EMS and the other with FEDEX (this one with his magic toy wrapping) :lol: Angus sent his using FEDEX also.

Anyway, I was horrified reading all the horror stories about customs here in Europe. The EMS package was sent on June 4th, from CN to Spain, BTW, I moved to Spain at the end of last year, I used to live in USA. Well, the thing is that I was checking up the tracking all day long since then. The package was handed to customs on June 6th, I was freaking out because it was already June 10th here and no update since. A few minutes ago I checked my tracking and it said it was released from customs, WHAT A RELIEF, :D so I'm expecting the watch anytime now. B)

Timing Site Status

2008-06-04 21:35:00 GUANGZHOU Posting

2008-06-04 22:26:00 GUANGZHOU Despatch from Sorting Center

2008-06-04 23:23:00 GUANGZHOU Arrival at Sorting Center

2008-06-05 00:51:00 GUANGZHOU Despatch from Sorting Center

2008-06-06 11:53:00 SPAIN MADRID AP Arrival at Sorting Center

2008-06-06 11:53:00 SPAIN MADRID AP Handed over to Customs

2008-06-09 20:38:00 SPAIN MADRID AP Released from Customs

I still got 2 more watches coming through FEDEX, one from Angus and the other from Josh. Well the thing is that Angus sent me the FEDEX # through email last Friday June 6th and there is nothing showing up yet when I try to track the package. :mellow: The same thing for Joshua's FEDEX, but he sent the number yesterday thou.

Does someone know how long it should take for FEDEX to show up any info from my shipment? :huh:

Also, I heard a lot of bad experience with FEDEX in Europe, I'm crossing my fingers. :rolleyes: If I would've known about EMS going smooth here, I would have told Josh to send the 2nd shipment through EMS as well. Next time I think I will use some of the EU dealers to avoid stress and possible customs problems.

What should I say if any of my FEDEX packages are seized by customs here in Madrid?

Any input would be appreciated. =)

Edited by DaveAsXxo

What should I say if any of my FEDEX packages are seized by customs here in Madrid?

You should say:

"Man oh man... why didn't I order my watches from the EU-based dealers and saved myself from a lot of stress."

Haha :lol: . I was really stupid not to do that. I didn't realize my mistake until it was too late. I never thought of it because my first order was to USA and I had no problems. I guess here in Europe customs are more strict. :mellow:

I even said it up there, next time will use EU dealers. -_-

Good luck man. With FedEX, you're going to need it. :D

I know FEDEX sucks big time, but at least one of the packages is wrapped are as a toy. :mellow:Do they use x-ray on FEDEX packages? That would be a concern right there.

Well, right now, I just need to relax and let some positive thoughts through my mind.

And By-Tor, thanks for the "good luck" :p I know I really needed.

Every country is different.

I have lived in Spain since 2000. I have only ordered three reps so far but I have ordered literally hundreds of things from eBay coming from China, Hong Kong, Russia, South America, and other EU countries outside of the Schengen area. The only item that I ever got hassled on was a laptop I purchased from ubid.com and they wanted to charge me VAT. I refused, was going to have it returned to sender in order to have it resent to my parents in Boston and pick in up later, when it suddenly appeared at my home in Madrid.

It is impossible to imagine a country with a more relaxed customs service. I have never been stopped by customs in the airport and I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen others stopped. Usually the Picoletos are smoking butts and chatting while the masses flow past - if they are even there. Nothing quite like the sight of arriving in customs to see NO ONE there - not a single officer. I have seen it more than once.

I also belong to a rep board here is Spain and so far I have not seen that this is a issue for the hobbyists there. I will ask and post back to this thread if you want.

If your package IS ever seized, let your dealer know and ask for instructions. They will handle it.

I once thought about purchasing from the EU dealers - I only know of three. All are more expensive than Ruby (who I have been buying from). One told me the watch was warranted against DOA but nothing more (that is not acceptable to me). That same one did not seem to accept paypal or credit card - I won't use a payment method that doesn't allow me ANY recourse - I don't care how trusted the dealer. Another was out of the EU at the time and the last one was QUITE a bit more expensive and was just launching his business anyway.

The major dealers will replace losses from customs seizures. Ruby states this explicitly and others such as Josh and Andrew do it though it is not stated clearly in their policies. Ruby also sends pics of your watch for your approval before shipping and handles the actual watch. Though they say they don't, the consensus seems to be that Josh and Andrew drop-ship which increases the likelihood of having to send a defective watch back. Ruby also charged me $5 the first order for EMS and on my subsequent orders shipped EMS and didn't charge me at all. I didn't ask for this discount - she just offered it. Josh and Andrew charge $45 to Spain. I think this is outrageous. As you can see I am a fan of Ruby. Her only shortcoming is that she is SLOW like a snail with a walker.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about customs but I do think that in general in EU countries FedEx gets more scrutiny than EMS which gets more scrutiny than registered airmail. But if you are with a good dealer the risk is not on you anyway.

Greetings from Asturias,

JohnG

Bad experience with Fedex. Order watch from one of good reputation dealer from RWG and I ask, if possible send this watch as gift and not use Fedex. Watch was sent as normal item( not as gift) and invoice was included too. Package was wrapped are as a toy but it did not help.

I got a unfeeling phone call from custom, they ask why it is hidden like smuggling trade and etc etc...long story

At the end I lost watch ( was destroy`d by custom) and my money.

Sry my poor english.

Edited by sul

I am sorry to ask such a stupid / newbe question, but wich of those dealer are located in europe ?

So far, I have only bought from "abroad"...

That would save a lot of stress and troubles ;-)

Narikaa

Precious Time

EuroTimez

You can find them all here:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showforum=198

Edit: EuroTimez ships from both Asia AND the EU.

I am getting replies at the Spanish forum. Some people have had problems (though the percentage seems very low) but have just had to pay IVA (VAT) and a faxed copy of their paypal receipt was enough to establish value. No one so far has reported seizures.

They report that the Spanish Customs authority is not interested in if the watch is a rep or not. One package came (from Andrew I am guessing) with a PAM Ferrari hidden inside a toy police car :lol: - customs broke the toy open and contacted the buyer. He paid the VAT tax on the value from his PayPal receipt and they sent him the watch.

I think it is safe to say Spain is pretty relaxed!

Say Hello to ??????!!

This just arrived in my EMS package. Watch inside toy. :lol: NICE JOB JOSHUA!

Well, I still need to wait for my 2 other FEDEX packages. Fingers crossed. :rolleyes: I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks for the replies and advice. JohnG thanks for the checking up over the spanish forum. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Hey fellas the pig toy is cute but may be too much info- clearly trademark owners and customs officials can find this post as easily as us.

Providing intel on shipping methods can only work against us, higher seizure incidence will likely impact on pricing.

A TOY RADIO PIG!!!

More evidence that Josh and Andrew are one in the same - they even hide their watches in the same toys! Or maybe they did a toy radio pig group-buy. :lol:

Hey fellas the pig toy is cute but may be too much info- clearly trademark owners and customs officials can find this post as easily as us.

Providing intel on shipping methods can only work against us, higher seizure incidence will likely impact on pricing.

You're right but truth is it's a little late for the pig. I have seen this pig posted in at least four separate threads already. There are probably more.

You're right but truth is it's a little late for the pig. I have seen this pig posted in at least four separate threads already. There are probably more.

Well, I took down the pic anyway. hehe ;) The less info these customs mother flowers have, the better.