When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I couldn't help myself -- UPO project underway

TK471

The Zigster told me not to waste money on the hands, but I couldn't help myself. Parts ordered are:

1. Gen Dial

2. Gen hands

3. Gen crown and tube

I'm thinking about ordering a gen crystal... has anyone tried to install one? I understand the issue with the bezel, but I'm not sure I'm going to spend $200+ on a plastic lume dot!

Can I see some pics of a fully modded UPO??

The Zigster told me not to waste money on the hands, but I couldn't help myself. Parts ordered are:

1. Gen Dial

2. Gen hands

3. Gen crown and tube

I'm thinking about ordering a gen crystal... has anyone tried to install one? I understand the issue with the bezel, but I'm not sure I'm going to spend $200+ on a plastic lume dot!

Can I see some pics of a fully modded UPO??

SNAP! :D :D

Well, apart from the hands................not bothering with a new crystal as Jakub's already made this one disappear. Only thing now is the wait for the parts, and then the wait until my spot with The Zigmeister.

If you want to see some good pics of a similar project (well, in fact the one that inspired me), have a look here PO..genuine dial; crystal; crown vs. Rep, comparison of genuine parts

look forward to seeing the completed project!

prof

SNAP! :D :D

Well, apart from the hands................not bothering with a new crystal as Jakub's already made this one disappear. Only thing now is the wait for the parts, and then the wait until my spot with The Zigmeister.

If you want to see some good pics of a similar project (well, in fact the one that inspired me), have a look here PO..genuine dial; crystal; crown vs. Rep, comparison of genuine parts

look forward to seeing the completed project!

prof

Does the gen dial fit the case without modification? I thought I saw somewhere that it had to be shaved down a little bit. Thanks, I am looking at the gen dial mod right now as well.

Gen crystal will fit. But why not just coat the rep crystal? Cheaper and just as good.

ahhh.. I disagree... i have a genuine crystal in my Franken PO .. and I have a chieftang coated crystal to go in another PO.. (the Pumpkin).. and just a side by side without actually having the genuine dial in pumpkin....

Chieftangs AR beats the genuine in quality and effectiveness .. hands down... no contest... Elvis has Left the Building ... this is all she wrote.......

and that is saying a lot .. since the Quality of the genuine is well... "the genuine" ... but Chief T. takes it to a whole nother level..

Plus the difference in price is about 119.00 usd.. more for the genuine that is not as effective.. georgeous .. but .. chiefs is euphoric...

ahhh.. I disagree... i have a genuine crystal in my Franken PO .. and I have a chieftang coated crystal to go in another PO.. (the Pumpkin).. and just a side by side without actually having the genuine dial in pumpkin....

Chieftangs AR beats the genuine in quality and effectiveness .. hands down... no contest... Elvis has Left the Building ... this is all she wrote.......

and that is saying a lot .. since the Quality of the genuine is well... "the genuine" ... but Chief T. takes it to a whole nother level..

Plus the difference in price is about 119.00 usd.. more for the genuine that is not as effective.. georgeous .. but .. chiefs is euphoric...

LOL! OK, fair enough! :p

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'll have some rep parts. You're more than welcome to my hands and dial, plus the old date wheel (I swapped for gen Omega wheel). You're also welcome to the crystal as soon as I can change that, and the bezel insert, crown and tube. Let's take this to the PMs if you're interested.

IMHO the flaws on the UPO starting from the most obvious is: light AR, then the pearl, then the logo, and finally the lume.

The difference between rep AR and gen/K2222/CT AR could be spotted from across a room.

The pearl position/construction/color(I've seen varying quality even on UPOs) can be spotted by someone in the know way before those annoying little feet become discernible.

That's why after AR, if I had to choose I would put in a gen insert before a gen dial. And there's no doubt: either K2222 or Chief's AR will meet or exceed any expectations as far as the crystal, and save you money over a gen to boot!

But if you're going to build a franken, you might as well go all the way!

Mine:

Gen: Insert, dial, hands

K2222 newest batch AR

I have a gen crown and He Valve(part of a great deal I got on the bay), but do not see any need to do a swap.

poblack1xo9.jpg

IMHO the flaws on the UPO starting from the most obvious is: light AR, then the pearl, then the logo, and finally the lume.

The difference between rep AR and gen/K2222/CT AR could be spotted from across a room.

The pearl position/construction/color(I've seen varying quality even on UPOs) can be spotted by someone in the know way before those annoying little feet become discernible.

That's why after AR, if I had to choose I would put in a gen insert before a gen dial. And there's no doubt: either K2222 or Chief's AR will meet or exceed any expectations as far as the crystal, and save you money over a gen to boot!

But if you're going to build a franken, you might as well go all the way!

Mine:

Gen: Insert, dial, hands

K2222 newest batch AR

I have a gen crown and He Valve(part of a great deal I got on the bay), but do not see any need to do a swap.

poblack1xo9.jpg

Hi

Where did you buy gen insert? I'm interested.

Thanks