When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT II Ceramic ETA from Josh

Master Chief

I've owned plenty of GMT and ExpII replicas since early 2005... and I still don't care which hand stack version I'm wearing, really... it's not a huge issue for me, and I agree it's not easy to detect. Unless, of course, you hand over your watch to someone who's familiar with the Rolex caliber 3185.

The thing that's much more important for me is the shape and correct thickness of the GMT hand.

Correct hand stack... well yeah it's nice but not a deal killer (for me). To each their own.

About the issues with the movement I am sure that a good watchsmith can fix it to be long lasting.

I am pretty sure most people would agree that when it comes to Reps there probably isn't a better watchsmith than The Zigmeister.

Here is what he has to say about the reliability of the correct hand stack ETA:

"As with all these reps, they may LOOK like the real deal, hand stack and all, but for $200, and a Basterdized 2836-2 QUAZI GMT movement put together with case clamps and some new gears, it's not going to work like the real watch costing $5000 or more…it can’t… expecting it to do otherwise is unrealistic."

Go HERE for the thread.

Trust me, I have spent hundreds on some watches and more than once spent in excess of $1,000.00 to mod a Rep to make it as close to Gen as possible. I certainly want my watches to look, feel and perform as close to Gen as posible.

The bottom line, however, is that it doesn't really matter how much you spent, $100.00 or $10,000.00, a watch that doesn't run or can not be counted on to run accurately is worthless..

In all fairness, the movement is reliable if you get lucky (and don't play with the independent hour hand too much), it's more like "hit and miss", really. My chs ExpII rep is now 3 years old... works 100% perfectly without any issues.

But then again... I've heard some bad reports from these new ones, that they're completely dying. Never heard of the old chs movements dying. If they had problems, they all just had the notorious loose hour hand issue.

Yes, I think that is a very fair assessment. In fact to be even fairer I have yet to see or verify if the new CHS GMT ceramic is coming with an ETA movement modified the same as the old CHS ETA. - It could be different.

The example for me of my concern would be my IWC Portuguese chrono. I love that watch, but for the most part it has become a closet queen. I only wear it out when I am going to wear it for a period of a few hours or so and I know it is just a matter of time before it is relagated to the bone yard. Nothing worse than having someone admire your watch, you hold it up so they can see the dial and they say "Hey, did you know your watch is two hours slow"

AAAARGHHHH!!!!

Also, let me add that I spoke to a friend in Guangzhou who has told me the manufacturer of the new CHS ceramic has ceased production due to all the problems with the modded movement. My friend also assured me that a different manufacturer will come out with this watch and it will be in his word "better than the first one"

I am not sure exactly what he means and there is always something lost in the translaton between him and me, but it could get interesting in a few weeks...

Edited by jake48

I simply said my watch has been running pefectly for three years now... and it is telling me that it wan't leave me without my GMTII for a long time. It has been serviced and relumed by The Zigmeister recently. And we all (at least the older members) know The Zigmeister's review about the bastardized movement.

What you might have noticed is that the new GMTIIc has been presented both with correct and incorrect hand stack: some member argued that possibly the new correct hand stack is an improved movement, which could be swapped in case the previous modified movements coud fail... Maybe too soon to tell.

I personally do not like the new GMT II, and since the previous version correct hand stack is almost impossible to find, which I think is one of the best watches our factories ever produced (read By-Tor reviews on this model), as all the good fathers care about the possibility my beloved baby could get ill one day!

i suppose that because my eyes aren't what they used to be i don't really care about the CHS...

but....

is it me or does that non-symmetric rehaut engraving stand out (thanks by-tor)...in particular the rollie crown above the 12 not lining up with the indice.... <_<

Edited by njespo

I spent about an hour with the Gen at one of the AD's. Honestly, I can't tell the hand stack unless it is passing the hour hand.

When I got home mine had arrived from King. I truly cannot believe how accurate this rep is against the Gen. The bezel even clicks at 2 per 5 minute segment exactly like the gen. The finish on mine is excellent. The ETA movement is accurately marked and appears to be a real ETA SWISS. I was looking at a gen ETA on the bench when I compared the movements and they are identical. It's been running 44 hours right now and is 25 seconds slow. About the same as my Gen Omega SM300.

I looked at all three models. IMO, the TT looks like a rep. The tale of the sale. They have one left (10) of the SS, all of the TT, and have sold 2 out of 3 Solids.

Jim

I sent mine back 2 days ago as It wouldn't work and I don't want a replacement. It should be back to Josh by the 24th of June. If anybody wants one, Josh will have it to fix and its the correct hand stack. So give him an e-mail and you might be able to capture it.

Rogerwine

GMT hand is not jumping on the gen GMT Master. The hour hand is.

thats what i meant ;)

but since its not jumping (yet?) why bother getting it? they sure will release a jumping one... if they can do the crazy hours, the gmt shouldnt be too hard

but since its not jumping (yet?) why bother getting it? they sure will release a jumping one... if they can do the crazy hours, the gmt shouldnt be too hard

The original correct hand stack (chs) version has an hour hand that mimics the gen's 'jumping'. But all of the original chs watches sold out & there has been no official/reliable word stating if/when these will be available again.