When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I'm extraordinarily bored with PAM. Help IWC experts

coltrim

I have the classic PAM collection. Great, wonderful, good lum etc but I'm casting a sideways glance at you IWC afficionados and I'm impressed.

Correct me if I'm wrong but IWC is a little bit different from Rolex, Omega and Breitling etc. It's classy, precise and individual. A bit like Panerai.

To cut a long story short- who are the main men, what is theeeeee one to have and where should I consider parting with the little cash which I certainly cannot afford to part with.

P.S. I don't need six watches in one- I'm deeply suspicious of rep chronos.

Thanks...

imho, if you're suspicious of rep chronos (ruling out the 3717, costeau diver and aquatimer), then the iwc ingenieur is the obvious iwc of choice. get the standard version (without AR coating, as rep AR coating sucks compared to real AR), send it to k2222 or chieftang to get it AR coated, and you've got yourself a real looker.

here is a quick shot on kevlar compliments of bazz (although i prefer it on a metal bracelet) :wub:

ingy_9_31_1-1.jpg

deltatahoe

ps, i'm curious, what does you pam collection consist of?

Correct me if I'm wrong but IWC is a little bit different from Rolex, Omega and Breitling etc. It's classy, precise and individual. A bit like Panerai.

A bit like comparing a stileto switch blade with a hammer, but i suppose your right they have a niche!

Check my sig for a the INGY rep gen comparison/

I have a major interest in Panerai and this led me to the rep community. I have now got a collection of both gens and highly modded reps and I have a bunch of IWC too. Like others I am dubious of Asian powered chronos and I agree that the standard Ingy is a must. It is so close to the gen in terms of accuracy and quality of build & finish. However I would add the GST Ti to the list and get it fitted with a Swiss ETA 7750 - mine has the ETA and a genuine dial. A good 3717 is another excellent candidate for modding but can be hit and miss in terms of quality as standard. Also the 3717 case seems to pick up marks easier than most other SS cases. There has been some discussion about the apparent softness of the SS in the 3717 and I would have to agree that there seems to be some substance to that concern. Get the Ingy for sure and the GST Ti while you still can.

BTW, I'm not a big Breitling fan at all as I consider them to be too 'blingy' but the SOSF is a must. It has the same accuracy and quality as the IWC Ingy - a gen that you can take anywhere.

imho, if you're suspicious of rep chronos (ruling out the 3717, costeau diver and aquatimer), then the iwc ingenieur is the obvious iwc of choice. get the standard version (without AR coating, as rep AR coating sucks compared to real AR), send it to k2222 or chieftang to get it AR coated, and you've got yourself a real looker.

here is a quick shot on kevlar compliments of bazz (although i prefer it on a metal bracelet) :wub:

ingy_9_31_1-1.jpg

deltatahoe

Hi , thanks for the info- and thanks to all you guys for the great response. I've got a bit of reading to do!

My PAM collection is nothing spectacular- 183s, 111s, 1950s, etc. I can't be bothered with the spin offs- PVDs Tis etc. All have swiss movements and come from dsn, eddie etc.

Thanks again for the directions.

Hi , thanks for the info- and thanks to all you guys for the great response. I've got a bit of reading to do!

My PAM collection is nothing spectacular- 183s, 111s, 1950s, etc. I can't be bothered with the spin offs- PVDs Tis etc. All have swiss movements and come from dsn, eddie etc.

Thanks again for the directions.

BTW is there a reliable daily beater rep of the stunning IW3714 Portugieser Chronograph Automatic.

What a lovely thing

I wouldn't recommend the Portugieser, beautiful watch but the movement is a real worry. I have one and although it is still going the blue is flaking off the hands :(

The Ingy is a great quality but unfortunately mine now resides in Stephane's collection. Having AR on the Ingy make a massive difference to the dial, really brings out the texture.

Here was mine on the bracelet.

IMG_4189_1copy.jpg

Lovely Ingenieur. That's for sure a very good watch as a starter. I have seen numerous new batch production with inferiour bracelet... yes much more inferiour than the early batch. So again, you have to be careful here.

Pick one for yourself:

c8a919bf.jpg

DSCN1517.jpg

DSCN0386.jpg

368026ff.jpg

P4271114.jpg

39e7a9f0.jpg

DSCN6703e.jpg

DSCN3484.jpg

DSCN0218w.jpg

PS: I would really recommend standard Ingenieur non Chrono SS as a starter, really... The thing is you are used to big sized Panerai. This has big size. If you like Chrono, get the Cousteau Divers 2007.

Ha ha you vulture DT, ruthlessly circling ready to pick at the carcass of this guys' "boring" PAM collection. Nice try though. :D

Personally, if you're bored of Panerai, I don't think IWC (Cousteau 06 aside) is going to slate your thirst, not in the long-term anyway :whistling: