When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DVD player Help

ajoesmith

Got a new Full HD TV and dont have a DVD player. Im currently just using my PC and connecting via an S-video cable which is fine.

But its a pain in the asss to keep moving the PC to the TV connecting the cable and when finished moving the PC back again.

I dont want a Blu ray player, or DVD recorder i just want a standard DVD player.

Here is my question:

I have seen that there are DVD players with USB ports but what file formats can they read form the USB port? I have lots of movies but they are DVD rips and they are in VOB or ISO format. Can these players read these formats? If so it would be great as id just use my external HDD, plug into the DVD and watch what i want.

Can anyone help?

Hi ajoe!

DVD players with USB port supports divx (xvid) format.You must have movies in divx on your external HDD

and then watch on TV (connect HDD THROUGH usb)

DVd player which support divx format will run movie on your HDD over USB.

There is no player for ISO format (except softwer Power dvd for PC which will run dvd rip from your HD)

You must iso burn on DVD and watch movie from dvd player.

For good DVD player with USB try Pioneer and Denon).

Please visit Pioneer and Denon web site for more Info.

//Tom

Have you thought about getting a Playstation 3? HDMI hook ups for the HDTV. will play CD/ DVD/ BLU-RAY and also play multi format files from your computer. stream, or load to the built in hard drive. access your music files, photos, etc. And also play Guitar Hero!

I just picked up an Apple TV so I can rip all my kids DVD's and store them on the 160G hard drive. This saves the DVD's and the DVD tray from constant abuse and damage. All the DVD's are now stored on the Apple TV and it is easy to scroll through and select an episode of Sesame Street to watch. I used a program called Handbrake to rip the DVDs to the Apple format. So far so good!

I was considering the PS3, but opted for ATV so we can download HD movies from the iTunes store.

This would be a good place tro start looking: http://hometheater.about.com/od/dvdproduct...podv981full.htm

1080p upscaling with divx/xvid. Plus the upscaler is of really good quality (for the price), cheap upscalers just make things look worse most times.

I am sure there are others out there, this one caught my eye because of the Faroudja video processing chip at it's heart.

Cheers! :D

Don`t know if you have the German supermarket chain Aldi in your parts,

but they have DVD players that will play Divx and normal Dvd`s, A$ 35 ( thats right )

as you say Dvd blanks are cheap enough, and who cares if the player only lasts 12 months.

Seeing that Xvid is more use than Divx now, the Olin would be the best out of those three. I don't think any of those upscale the image though. HDMI is used , but does not mean upscaling is present.

I would suggest you would want an upscaling DVD player to be honest. Remember that when the source video is a much lower resolution than the native resolution of the LCD panel (DVD's are 720x576), the picture quality will suffer as a direct result. The LCD TV will scale the lower resolution video to the 1920x1080 res of the screen, but that is not the same as the DVD upscaling......

A good upscaling DVD player will make a huge difference to the image quality on screen B)

The one I linked too is available for $169.95 from amazon, used condition though: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00...7E/ref=dp_olp_1

Or ebay: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksi...-All-Categories

As I mentioned before though, a bad DVD upscaler will make things look a lot worse.....

Think most of all this comes down to knowledge/price and just what do you want to use it for

and how long you want it to last.

For simple downloading, burning and viewing of plain ordinary divx/dvd the cheap players will do the job,

with pretty good viewing pic quality

Down the track when all the different formats are sorted and standardised you can go upmarket and get a

recorder (inbuilt hard drive, inbuilt HD tuner etc ) without anymore set top boxes.

It really is personal choice, and lets face it this stuff is changing more than rep watches.

Mickey

Dont forget thats $60 Australian dollars, so its less in US$, very cheap!

The picture quality is very good, im no expert but im very happy. Its playing now on the 50" Full HD plasma using a HDMI cable upscaled to 1080 and its looks great.

Im not so freakish about movies as i am about watches so for $60 ill do the job nicely!

here is a quick review by someone Click here

We just got a Philips upconvert DVD player with USB port for just $60 at Best Buy. Plays xvid divx, any country, pal ntsc - anything. We download a lot of avi files and just copy them to a large 8GB usb stick and plug it in. Saves a lot of disks..

ISO files you need to convert to dvd, nothing wil play them. You can use Nero or my favorite 'Sheep' program CloneDvd2

http://www.slysoft.com/en/purchase.html

You need AnyDVD to remove copy protections and clonedvd to copy. Even removes country codes and lets you play other region DVD's on your computer etc.

This program is amazingly well written and constantly upgraded to keep up with newer movies.