When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Light at the end of the tunnel

UncleJay

I think I'm finally close to closing my troubles with DSN. He's kindly agreed to split the cost of the lost/seized watches. I'm waiting to see what he figures is fair to give me in credit, I hope to know soon.

My initial deal was for 5 watches, but I will not have the credit to replace the 3 watches as I'm getting only partial credit. I need some advise guys please. Should I get 1 complete watch and maybe some parts or do I use the credit for parts only? I'm thinking that his parts coupled with my gen parts will make for some super hot Frankens. What's your opinion.

Jay - I can only say that this is the "lesser of a few different evils" and at least you are getting some money back.....

I guess it all depends on what Gen pieces you have and the frankens in mind to determine the parts you'd want to use the credit for...

IMHO and from experience - these are the choicest DSN parts (in no particular order) I'm sure others with chip in ...

Fiddy Sapphire and fiddy case set in general

3646 Case set and plexi

Latest 232 Dial and hands set

New Pre-V Crown and Tube

OP 6500 Case Back - tinny but correct detail

082 Dial - but the first version had the best text.

010 Dial - again the original was practically flawless but latest versions are not so good

ETA 6497 - his bulk HK versions usually come with Incabloc

207-A Dial and hands set

After that I'm stumped and you'd have a hell of a lot of credit to burn still...

Best of luck with it all...

S

:fish:

I would have to agree with FGD's list. I would also add the 6154 CG-less case and possibly the new 036 dial, it appears to be using a less purple-y brown color.

Got to deny the new 036 dial - 1 step forward on colour - 2 steps back on the dial text and lume...

If I remember rightly Jay has a super rare 036 L dial which has to be worth a gazillion DSN parts !!!!!! :o

Got to deny the new 036 dial - 1 step forward on colour - 2 steps back on the dial text and lume...

If I remember rightly Jay has a super rare 036 L dial which has to be worth a gazillion DSN parts !!!!!! :o

You are correct :fish: I also have the 24 gloss Proto dial and Pre-A Marina.

DSC00178.jpg

DSC00101.jpg

DSC00124.jpg

Lost/seized? Did you have a tracking number? Insurance?

Why wouldn't he just replace them all for the original deal? Was the loss/seizure your fault? It seems to me that he has a pretty good profit margin and it would make more sense to replace the watches, perhaps making no profit, in order to provide good customer service and keep you as a repeat buyer. That is not to mention word of mouth. I guess if it was your fault though, that might be a different story.

I disagree on the Fiddy case and crystal. I just got my DSN 217 and the case is EXACTLY the same as the 0117 case that I have on my non DSN Fiddy and the DSN crystal has too much distortion. Here is a shot of my DSN 217 with my non DSN 127, from any angle the cases are identical, the case back is the same 0117 caseback and the increased distortion is visible in the 217 if you compare the 12 and the 6 on both watches.

098copy-1.jpg

I disagree on the Fiddy case and crystal. I just got my DSN 217 and the case is EXACTLY the same as the 0117 case that I have on my non DSN Fiddy and the DSN crystal has too much distortion. Here is a shot of my DSN 217 with my non DSN 127, from any angle the cases are identical, the case back is the same 0117 caseback and the increased distortion is visible in the 217 if you compare the 12 and the 6 on both watches.

098copy-1.jpg

DSN's 127 case and crystal is identical to my 127 with sapphire crystal which I bought from River, but River's has an excellent dial with the fonts the correct colour, rather than the grey that DSN uses. However I agree that these cases seems to be the best out there. I'm not knocking this case, just pointing out that they weren't exclusive to DSN and other dealers had them too, at least at that time.

Davidsen's Fiddy uses the 117 case set up that has been around for years now. The crystal I have from him has the identical measurements but has the double AR which should be removed. His contribution is a better set of hands and a worse dial. Why he went to grey font I will never know.

And to answer the question - parts.

Lost/seized? Did you have a tracking number? Insurance?

I had the Post Office track the package and was told the last entry was Customs (I assume it is US Customs) and that it could not be possible to track after that. The package was declared as a "watch for repair to be returned" with a value of $25 US as I'm told should be done for Duty reasons. I'm not able to track the package myself, it must be done by the PO.

Why wouldn't he just replace them all for the original deal? Was the loss/seizure your fault? It seems to me that he has a pretty good profit margin and it would make more sense to replace the watches, perhaps making no profit, in order to provide good customer service and keep you as a repeat buyer. That is not to mention word of mouth. I guess if it was your fault though, that might be a different story.

I guess he doesn't want to take the complete loss, can't blame him I guess. I think I did everything correctly, but this was my first time returning. I did ship The Zigmeister some parts without a hitch. I shouldn't have had to return them, they should have been fine from the get-go. I'll work out this deal and never buy a complete watch from him again. I've learned my lesson and hope others will be saved from my experience.

You are correct :fish: I also have the 24 gloss Proto dial and Pre-A Marina.

DSC00124.jpg

If I was Indiana Jones ...sod the Crystal Skulls ...this is what I'd go ripping up tombs and temples for .....my grail dial!!!!

Assuming you don't already own these gens !!!!!......I'd say a 203/A or a Pre-A 001/004 as DSN's case back's for both of these are OK and there's a source for a reasonable Pre-A case - guess with Pre-A you don't have to worry about the 2 screw lug assembly either....

We all know a good member for PVD coatings....

Just you're gonna have a sh*t load of credit left after a couple of casebacks only!!!

Cheers

S

DSN's 'preV' crowns with matching tubes are very good - not quite OEM thickness but otherwise excellent quality. His casebacks are thin and 'tinny' but he does have a wider variety of solid backs which is a help. His hands are......well like rep Panerai hands.

You could get a ship-load of hands, crowns and crystals, plus a few casebacks. Oh I wouldn't mind one of those yellow / orange dials either, but that's about it for me. I wouldn't buy a watch off him in a fit - I've got enough grief in my life already.

I agree. What a DummyStupid move on DSN's part.

Business must be booming to pass up Uncle as a customer.

Not to mention the enormous red flag this sorry affair raise for anybody astute enough to realize that dealing with a non responsive fellow, half a world away can be very frustrating, and can easily be avoided by "voting with ones feet"... ;):huh: :huh: