When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Crystal on 1655 McQueen Exp II

mucrewbtp

I am in the market for a 1655 rep to compliment my MBW DRSD. I really like the ability to put a Gen crystal on my MBW, it looks great and offers good water resistence as confirmed by my DIY pressure tester. Does anybody know if any of the 1655 Exp II reps have the ability to acccept a gen crystal? I have looked at the models available from Trevor and Andrew, both seem similar with an acrylic crystal but I have not been able to find out if the crystal on the rep is a Gen type, or a crystal specific just to that rep. Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Mike

My experience with the few 1655 reps out there is that a gen 116 cyclope will not work. The 1655 and 1675 have a larger diameter opening for the dial and as such, the retaining lip/rehaut combo are also larger. Since most 1655 reps seem to be based upon a 1680 type case, the gen crystal is too large to fit securely, or in the case of MBW cases, I seem to recall that the crystal actually fits inside of a lip that sits slightly taller than the rehaut (this case is based upon a modern case using a sapphire crystal).

Mike,

A gen T116 will fit Andrew's ROLEXP2002 1655 model but it has to be glued in place. A gen T116 will also fit the "MBK" model as well, this one is also just pressed in place but has a more snug fit than the prior. Ubi is correct though the crystal sits a tad high, you could sand down the crystal a bit to compensate for that. I can tell you the Clarks aftermarket T116 ($5) is a very decent copy and probably good practice for sanding the height down.

I have found that a replacement from Cousins UK (although needs gluing in) makes a great improvement over the original fitted in the rep. It stands taller in the case, and has a far superior date mag. It will fit the "Top Grade" vintage ETA model from Trusty, but does need sanding down slightly to get the right look. A great improvement (IMHO).

Cousins ref for the cyclops is C8503

post-1404-1213734289_thumb.jpg

B-

Long time since I've seen you around! Hope you are doing well....

Still have that gorgeous 5514?

:)

Thank you my friend , i'm very well , being around even on TRC but not posting so much ... no the 5514 gone :(

but transplant the dial to my MBW 1680 .

Regards

Edited by pismo

• 9 months later...
I have found that a replacement from Cousins UK (although needs gluing in) makes a great improvement over the original fitted in the rep. It stands taller in the case, and has a far superior date mag. It will fit the "Top Grade" vintage ETA model from Trusty, but does need sanding down slightly to get the right look. A great improvement (IMHO).

Cousins ref for the cyclops is C8503

post-1404-1213734289_thumb.jpg

I also have a 'Top Grade' Vintage McQueen Exp II. Where can I buy the above described crystal from Cousins UK?

Thanks