When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noob dives in and sinks? My first "proper" rep, SMP from a scam site

mars08

I really wanted to get started on this hobby. Okay?

I really, REALLY wanted a 42mm SMP (2531.80) rep. Yes?

Soooo, I've ordered and paid for one at replica2u.com. GASP! CRINGE!

Now, I looked on this forum and others and the company didn't seem to get any good reports. In fact even the neutral questions about it were answered with cries of "SHILL!". The Replica2u also came up in the various scam lists around the web.

Sooo, maybe I've set myself up for a fall. But I figured the price was good, the pics looked nice (even with the misaligned bezel) and the price was good... and did I mention the price?

Anyway, let's see how this turns out. Given the negative posts about this company, I won't be shocked to get burned. Even if it works out, there's no guarantee that it's their usual SOP. Maybe I got lucky. On the other hand... if I get ripped of, it will be futher confirmation of the hostile posts. It's my money and it will be a valuable lesson for those temted to repeat my foolish mistake.

Hey, how bad can it be? Right? RIGHT???

Hehe...welcome to the world of reps... my first was from Replicahause and was the shittiest submariner you're ever going to lay eyes on. Live and learn. If you get it and it really sucks, try to return it and then use the trusted dealers on this board :)

Welcome!

My first rep was from Perfectclones...a TT Rolex black dial. I bought it the date BEFORE I found this site! I spent 975 bucks for a TW best TT Sub. Although its supposed to be pure gold on the center links, crown and bezel. No signs of wear aside from some black streaks now and then on the end links which are plated. For an SMP you probably overpaid for a watch you could buy cheaper on the dealers sites in this forum.

My first rep was from Perfectclones...a TT Rolex black dial. I bought it the date BEFORE I found this site! I spent 975 bucks for a TW best TT Sub. Although its supposed to be pure gold on the center links, crown and bezel. No signs of wear aside from some black streaks now and then on the end links which are plated. For an SMP you probably overpaid for a watch you could buy cheaper on the dealers sites in this forum.

I didnt know Josh sells TW best, let alone charges a grand for it... you sure it was perfectclones (joshua)?

"For an SMP you probably overpaid for a watch you could buy cheaper on the dealers sites in this forum."

Actually it's not the first watch I've ordered since joining the forum.

The FIRST was the 300m SMP I ordered from Silix last Friday! Cost twice as much as the one I paid for today, but it looks like a very good rep. I've also been assured by a few people that it's good value. But... I ordered it several days ago, and 4 emails and one PM later Silix still hasn't sent me their Paypal details so I can pay. HA! Given their lack of interest, I'm not sure if I will go through with the purchase even IF they reply to me. Probably will though.

I also have a well-respected, responsive dealer sourcing a SMP for me. If he finds a well-priced one he's happy to sell, I will take it.

Today's purchase was about two things... Curiosity -I wanted to see if the warnings about replica2u.com were always correct. Enthusiasm -I've got THE FEVER and things weren't happening fast enough!

Maybe I've been rash and wasted my money, but at least I'm finally in the game, DAMMIT! (Oh my)

Let's see how this works out...

Hey, how bad can it be? Right? RIGHT???

Think of it as a prostate exam without the lubrication. The important thing is you found your way here and have learned the errors of your way. Be a productive member and donate if you can. We may all exchange our thoughts and ideas freely but someone has to pay for all this fun we have.

I once bought a Vacheron Constantine Overseas from a dealer on LoudFrog called Replica2U. Their communication was non-existent, but, the watch arrived in the specified time, and, despite having an Asian movement (and advertized as having an Asian movement) it had the same chassis as the VCO sold by the Cartel Dealers. I don't own it anymore, as I never really 'bonded' with it, so I gave it to a friend.

Only time will tell if your transaction pans out, but, I try and keep this in mind: Just because someone pays to be a dealer here, that does not guarantee 100% that they are trustworthy, and will give a flawless transaction, and equally, just because someone does not have a presense here, that does not always mean they are a scammer ;) I hope it all works out well for you :)

If you knew about this site, why would you buy from a site that was identified as a scam site? Even if you were impatient you could as easily ordered from a seller with some rep on these boards.

First... I did order a similar (and supposedly better) rep from a "trusted dealer". Silix. The 2u item I purchased mainly because it "looked" nearly as nice at a better price. Also ordered another rep from a well-respected dealer yesterday.

Second... I got an email from 2u last night (one of several) saying the item has shipped. I assume if they were an outright scam they wouldn't bother with so many updates. Yes?

Another reason I decided to take this gamble was that all the negative posts I saw about rep2u were non-specific. Nobody gave any detail of their scam.

So, as I mentioned in my first post, I'm the lab rat. Or maybe I'll just get lucky. Or not. Maybe?

How bad can it be, right?

First... I did order a similar (and supposedly better) rep from a "trusted dealer". Silix. The 2u item I purchased mainly because it "looked" nearly as nice at a better price. Also ordered another rep from a well-respected dealer yesterday.

Second... I got an email from 2u last night (one of several) saying the item has shipped. I assume if they were an outright scam they wouldn't bother with so many updates. Yes?

Another reason I decided to take this gamble was that all the negative posts I saw about rep2u were non-specific. Nobody gave any detail of their scam.

So, as I mentioned in my first post, I'm the lab rat. Or maybe I'll just get lucky. Or not. Maybe?

How bad can it be, right?

touche... only time will tell now!

I picked up a package from the Post Office this afternoon.

When I got home I unwrapped it and.... DISAPPOINTMENT! It's not quite the watch I was wanted. The bracelet it clearly different to the one advertised.

Interesting thing is that the rep isn't the "Bond" SMP I purchased from replica2u, it's the SMP GMT that I ordered from Andrew at TT88. And it has a PLANET OCEAN bracelet. He IS fast though.

In the past couple of weeks I have ordered several watches on-line. A "Bond" SMP from Silix, another from replica2u, the GMT from Andrew and a Speedmaster Carbon from WBK. These are the only reps I've ever bought on-line.

Such a pity that the first watch to arrive has a problem. Also deflating is the fact that it's from one of the dealers with a reputation for being efficient. Bad omen? Certainly leaves a bad taste in my mouth!

Anyway, given the hugely posiitve comments about Andrew I've seen around the forums, I expect that he will set things right. I will contact him tonight and see where it takes us.

Meanwhile jury is still out on replica2u.

I once bought a Vacheron Constantine Overseas from a dealer on LoudFrog called Replica2U.

Same people.

When I got home I unwrapped it and.... DISAPPOINTMENT! It's not quite the watch I was wanted. The bracelet it clearly different to the one advertised.

I am so sorry to hear that.

Same people.

If that's the case, then this watch should be pretty good :) I was really impressed with the VCO, it just did absolutely nothing for me when I wore it, but that was just me, nothing to do with the watch itself...

This is where Andrew's reputation for good service saves the day, right?

That's the rumor ;)

Hopefully, all will be resolved. That said, it's not very good for an SMP GMT to be fitted with a PO bracelet... In terms of QC, that's just insulting... Although I have once received a totally incorrect watch from a drop-shipper (which they replaced, and the replacements were correct) I don't think I've ever heard of a watch being sent with miss-matched parts like that... Fingers crossed, that it will all be resolved, and hopefully your transaction with Replica2U will go better. On my transaction, I found their communication non-existent, but, I couldn't've been more happy with the quality of the product (Even though I never bonded with it, it was still a very nice watch.) :)

When I saw the problem with the watch I tried to contact Andrew using three methods. I sent TT88 an email, I filled out a form on the TT88 web site and I sent Andrew a PM. It has been 45 hours without any reply.

So... should I start to worry about now?