When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ruby's 06 CD Vs Angus's 06 CD

asiparks

Hi all, first a bit of background...

a while back I got an 06 CD from Ruby, loved the watch, was a bit miffed that it didn't have lume on the inner bezel, but as it had great day/date/inner bezel alignment, I wasn't too upset...

well, I buggered it. I had the back off, messing around with it and it went and fell off my desk :o

It did not land happily... I put it all back together, but something, somewhere got somewhat buggered, the crown wouldn't operate the day/date/hour change correctly and it refused to start ticking so it's as good as dead...

As it's my favoritest watch, I went about ordering another, and as Ruby said she couldn't get the ones with the bezel lume, I contacted Angus and asked him if his had it... He said yes, so in short order I had another 06 CD in hand.

My understanding is that these come from the same factory, that said, there are quite a few differences, some big, some not so...I have no idea which is the most accurate, just telling you how each differs...and sorry for the crap pics BTW...

Straps: This was the most immediately obvious difference, Ruby's is quite a bit darker, much softer and more flexible and it smalls better. Not of vanilla, just better. Much more comfortable on the wrist... The buckle has a smaller, more engraved looking IWC logo

IMG_5757.jpg

the dial:

Ruby's dial has very clear, well defined concentric rings on the subdial, Angus's appear to be completely flat...

IMG_5763.jpg

IMG_5766.jpg

Ruby's had a crooked marker at 3, Angus had crooked markers at 12. Ruby's markers have slightly thicker silver outlines and appear smoother.

Note the mis-aligned day wheel and the bad looking date wheel on Angus's, plus the blobby orange paint on the second hand and minute totalizer. Here's a pic of Ruby's date wheel. It looks (looked ? ) much nicer and both it and the day wheel consistantly aligned correctly.

IMG_5769.jpg

The hands on R's had better paint, but the minute and second hands didn't have the bent ends, whereas A's did.

IMG_5771.jpg

Backs...

Nothing to choose between the "wood"s except A's was not centered as well. here's A's :

IMG_5773.jpg

and R's

IMG_5774.jpg

R's had deeper, more engraved looking lettering.

Movements:

A's is plain

IMG_5776.jpg

R's has an engraved logo and blue painted screws:

IMG_5777.jpg

Inner bezels:

IMG_5780.jpg

A's has lume and squarish dots between the digits, R's has an odd puckered lume-less paint with taller "dashes" between the digits.

Other notes:

The inner bezel on A's had the alignment problem, where you have to turn it back about 1/2 a click to get it to line up at 12. R's aligned perfectly, but had a much less defined click. A's kind of goes "twoing" as you pass each detent, R's made just a soft click.

R's chrono reset was soft and mushy, A's has nice crisp chrono buttons. Both watches keep and kept excellent time.

the lume on both watches is pretty good, even that on A's inner bezel

Now I'm on a mission to swap parts between the two, Ruby's strap, rotor, day/date wheels, dial and hands are going to get transplanted onto A's watch which should give me the best of all worlds, a good chrono movement and lumed bezel with a nicer dial and strap.

cheers

Edited by asiparks

I like the "Made in Switlerland" on the Rotor. ;)

:lol: I missed that.... A new version, but I like "Swissinternet" better.. as on the old Bentley for Breitling..

Seriolusly, this is an outstanding comparison. Exactly the stuff I like to read about. Good work! It is hard to belive that two independent factories have produced so good copies of the CD.. But I think the differences are too many to just be down different versions.. Interesting!

Good luck with the build. You will have a killer watch when it is finished! :)

Day and date wheel on A's look closer to the ETA font which looks squarish. R's DWs font are off.

Subdials on A's looks more accurate to the gen cos the concentric rings are too deep on R's.

A's lume is also closer to the gen. The dot is suppose to be a square when you see it near not rectangular like R's.

Get the gen ETA DWs and you will have a franken 2006CD. ;)

Available from cousin from UK.

Edited by jitai

Subdials on A's looks more accurate to the gen cos the concentric rings are too deep on R's.

actually the rings are not cut that deep, here's another shot...

IMG_5761.jpg

you can see how subtle the rings are in earlier wrist shot...(scroll down)

going by the pics in Toadtorrents review, I'd say R's is closer to gen. The hour batons look to be of higher quality too..

R's strap also looks to be more accurate, and i don't know enough about correct date fonts, but R's looks nicer. Not playing favorites here and again I am far from expert on the details, so there is a good chance i'm quite wrong about many of them ;)

Thanks for the informative and interesting review. Got my Swiss 7750 version right after they where released in 2007 from Angus too. I really love this watch with a passion.

Was thought of a foolish for laying the extra 300$ down for the Swiss 7750 version but with the current ETA 7750 prices, looking back the price I paid for it then was a steal at 728$. Think I am going to buy a second case set while they are still available just in case the case or crystal gets banged up in the future as I want to keep this watch in a 90%+ state for a looooooong time!

Which of the two cases + crystal is better or are they the same?

Looks like there are 2 factories making this rep.

I still believe the watch from Angus (which is the early batch from the first factory) is a more superior rep in terms of fit and finish.

I'm not so sure unless the cases/crystals are being sourced from a same 3rd party, they appear to be exactly the same in every way, pushers, crown, polish and brushed areas, outer ring (fixed) with the minute markers...R's dial looks nicer, the various indices are more consistantly ( and better ) finished ,the alignment of all the parts was better, as was the softer tactile feel of the inner bezel and the strap is way nicer, A's has more correct date font, better looking and lumed inner bezel, more accurate "bent" hands and a more reassuringly crisp chrono, so maybe a better movement. R's is $30 cheaper $50 if you include A's shipping.

Of course the next person to buy one from either might get something utterly different..... ;)

Edited by asiparks