When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen flying tourbillion?

troaa

Oh! Really?!!!!!

I thought flying tour. mov. is copy of gen one.

Thanks replies.

To be fair, the Chinese tourbillon movement we have access to for $500-$1500 is in fact a copy of a genuine Blancpain flying 1-min tourbillon. But if you wanted to buy that, prepare to spend a high five figures to six figures price.

@troaa:

I think where a lot of the confusion comes from is that the Chinese have copied (homaged) the original Blancpain flying "duck" tourbillon movement and have an actual flying tourbillon movement of their own that looks sneakily a lot like the BP tourbi. But its a real working tourbillon and not some exposed "open-heart" balance wheel that rep. manufacturers used to (and still do today) use for mimicking a tourbillon cage, plus they can punch out thousand of these because of the highly skilled and cheap labor market. Unfortunately, rep. manufacturers have purchased these asian made genuine flying tourbillon movements and placed them in high-end name-brand replica cases which is a travesty, since the movements themselves are highly complicated in labor (and cost) to make, even for the Chinese. In some people's mind (including mine) it is a waste of a perfectly good tourbillon movement, as now it will always be viewed as a cheap "fake" since the real genuine high-end watch brand tourbillon looks nothing like the replicas that try to replicate the original. I challenge anyone to find me a replica tourbillon that even comes close to an original it represents.

The Chinese tourbillon is a great movement all on its own (albeit without the fine typical genuine tooling on the gears) and I would urge you to purchase one with no brand name on the dial or case which is still possible. It is still champagne high-end mechanical gear-art at beer prices if you know where to look.

The Chinese made this flying "duck" tourbillon (Seagull ST80) which closely mimics the looks of the famous Blancpain to a tee, unfortunately, it was made with the tourbillon cage at 6 and the original Blancpain tourbillon cage at 12. Why can't the rep. manufacturers just simply try to reverse the movement? It's because the guts are completely mirrored backwards (isn't that the way between East & West anyway!). To put the stem on the left hand side and flip the movement 6 to 12 is not so simple as the gears are all reversed and you'd be looking at the back of the tourbi cage. To try and take that apart and reverse is not worth the effort for the Chinese flying tourbi movement manufacturers (Million Smart & Seagull) as they have sold hundreds of thousands of these tourbillon movements to every low-end genuine manufacturer around the globe, why change a good thing to just sell a few to the rep. manufacturers and face lawsuits of copyright infringement from Blancpain? That's why you see these same movements in "Swiss, German, French, US, and quasi-euro manufacturers" tourbillon lineup at stupid prices of 4X8 times the price of an exact same $500 no-name watch you could pick up here or on ebay. These quasi-genuine watch assemblers buy the movement from China and then claim the watch is assembled in "Germany-France-Italy-US" or elsewhere (which could be true), given a hokey euro-name (i.e: Stauer, Aeromatic, Steinhausen, Tourous, Francois Rotier, Herrmanns, Stuhrling, Ticino, Auguste Galan, etc....... and counting) and marketing claims that it follows the old world heritage (to give it that euro flair) of the original tourbillon invention. In their defense, I will say they usually give you a 1-year warranty which the $500 sellers won't but for the inflated price its not worth it.

A no-name asian self-wind carousel tourbillon watch, $500, a Blancpain carousel tourbillon, $67,000, both genuine. You decide which you would buy. Not a hard choice for the less-than-millionaire everyday watch aficionado. That is why you see this same Chinese flying/centre tourbillon subject discussed on genuine watch forums as well (TZ, Watchuseek). Its a real movement in the generisti's eyes, not a copy! The generisti buy it at the inflated prices, lucky you are a member of a rep. board and know the truth behind the hype! :p

@troaa:

I think where a lot of the confusion comes from is that the Chinese have copied (homaged) the original Blancpain flying "duck" tourbillon movement and have an actual flying tourbillon movement of their own that looks sneakily a lot like the BP tourbi. But its a real working tourbillon and not some exposed "open-heart" balance wheel that rep. manufacturers used to (and still do today) use for mimicking a tourbillon cage, plus they can punch out thousand of these because of the highly skilled and cheap labor market. Unfortunately, rep. manufacturers have purchased these asian made genuine flying tourbillon movements and placed them in high-end name-brand replica cases which is a travesty, since the movements themselves are highly complicated in labor (and cost) to make, even for the Chinese. In some people's mind (including mine) it is a waste of a perfectly good tourbillon movement, as now it will always be viewed as a cheap "fake" since the real genuine high-end watch brand tourbillon looks nothing like the replicas that try to replicate the original. I challenge anyone to find me a replica tourbillon that even comes close to an orginal it represents.

The Chinese tourbillon is a great movement all on its own (albeit without the fine typical genuine tooling on the gears) and I would urge you to purchase one with no brand name on the dial or case which is still possible. It is still champagne high-end mechanical gear-art at beer prices if you know where to look.

The Chinese made this flying "duck" tourbillon (Seagull ST80) which closely mimics the looks of the famous Blancpain to a tee, unfortunately, it was made with the tourbillon cage at 6 and the original Blancpain tourbillon cage at 12. Why can't the rep. manufacturers just simply try to reverse the movement? It's because the guts are completely mirrored backwards (isn't that the way between East & West anyway!). To put the stem on the left hand side and flip the movement 6 to 12 is not so simple as the gears are all reversed and you'd be looking at the back of the tourbi cage. To try and take that apart and reverse is not worth the effort for the Chinese flying tourbi movement manufacturers (Million Smart & Seagull) as they have sold hundreds of thousands of these tourbillon movements to every low-end genuine manufacturer around the globe, why change a good thing to just sell a few to the rep. manufacturers and face lawsuits of copyright infringement from Blancpain? That's why you see these same movements in "Swiss, German, French, US, and quasi-euro manufacturers" tourbillon lineup at stupid prices of 4X8 times the price of an exact same $500 no-name watch you could pick up here or on ebay. These quasi-genuine watch assemblers buy the movement from China and then claim the watch is assembled in "Germany-France-Italy-US" or elsewhere (which could be true), given a hokey euro-name (i.e: Stauer, Aeromatic, Steinhausen, Tourous, Francois Rotier, Herrmanns, Stuhrling, Ticino, Auguste Galan, etc....... and counting) and marketing claims that it follows the old world heritage (to give it that euro flair) of the original tourbillon invention. In their defense, I will say they usually give you a 1-year warranty which the $500 sellers won't but for the inflated price its not worth it.

A no-name asian self-wind carousel tourbillon watch, $500, a Blancpain carousel tourbillon, $67,000, both genuine. You decide which you would buy. Not a hard choice for the less-than-millionaire everyday watch aficionado. That is why you see this same Chinese flying/centre tourbillon subject discussed on genuine watch forums as well (TZ, Watchuseek). Its a real movement in the generisti's eyes, not a copy! The generisti buy it at the inflated prices, lucky you are a member of a rep. board and know the truth behind the hype! :p

Thanks a lot!!! Omni!!! Your advice is so helpful! thanks again!

Edited by troaa

@Mahler

Nice watches. Can you post some more info on them....where r they available and for how much?

Cheers

http://www.capitalorologi.com/

reference AC723 UOA all steel or TT plated

Euro: 1.500 (1.200 at http://www.sorelleronco.it/Prodotti/Orolog...Tourbillon.htm)

Dimensions :

Thickness 11 mm

Diameter 45 mm (yes 45 not 41mm)

Diameter with crown 50,5 mm

Height 54mm

General weight : 103 grams

Edited by MAHLER

• 1 month later...
omni - your very right my friend - my tourby from homer is just too awesome to explain - in fact, i believe it is the best watch/value in rep or gen you can get

It is beautiful... I want one wicked bad but im waiting to hear back from him as to getting a brand like Breguet or Patek Philippe on the dial... I understand what you guys were saying earlier, I just prefer to have a brand on there.. as opposed to "who makes that?" ".......uhhhh........"

Hi Phoband - I assume yours is still running strong - do you wear it often?

thanks,

i wear mine all the time - probably once a week - since i have a rotation of 10 thats pretty often.

works PERFECT - i continue to say that no collection is complete without a homer tourby

i just wish he would pay me to say it :)