When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage sub questions

gplracer

Do the vintage rep subs have the same issues as the modern subs? I mean is the crown too low and the other dimensions off? I just wondered how they compared in accuracy? Thanks for answering this noob question. Also, does anyone sell a decent vintage rep with a cheap movement?

What about the crown position on a MBW? Is it off just like that of a modern sub? Sorry missed the comment above.

For vintage Subs there is only one way that costs less than a couple thousand dollars or so... ;)
Edited by gplracer

Crown position on a vintage MBW isn't that bad- say like a 1680. The crown guards still need to be modded and they are too fat to begin with, but 99.9% of the people aren't going to notice.

I think what POTR is referring to is that the MBW/MBK route is the most reasonable costwise. You can go a step up to the Vietnamese dealers like NDTrading Corp or Jewelry and Watch which have expensive vintage cases and maybe better dials, but at that point you almost have to put a Rolex movement in there and that runs at least a grand (US dollars) for the movement, so you've got a $2500 franken or more by the time it's over. The sky is the limit when you go from the rep to franken watch world

post-175-1215556188_thumb.jpg

This 5508 is a franken with a Rolex 1520 movt- over $2000 to build, quite a bit more than an MBW- say you spend $400 for the MBW, put $200-300 in improvements into it, you have a $700 watch.

Third option is something like this:

post-175-1215556698_thumb.jpg

An inexpensive CN rep, put a better pearl in it, $25-30, mod the cg's yourself, put a better dial in- I spent $150 for a better 5513 dial, greased the o-rings and off I go- a cheap beater- ready for swimming and snorkling. A little over $300 in it for me.

So it really boils down to how much do you want to spend!