When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I am a GMT collector

jmt

OK, so I have a bunch of those modified ETAs that produce faux GMT movements, but what I really dream about is converting them ALL to 2893-2 movements. Am I the only one? I doubt it.

But, what I don't know is how is the best way to go about this? It's tough to source them, that's for sure. Anyone have any ideas? Can we pool our resources to dredge some up? I am willing to pay, but not crazy about buying a bunch of $650 watches as donors a la http://store.debaufre.com/ETA-2893-Movement-s/59.htm. :o

So, does anyone know of another way?

I am the proud owner of a Rolex GMT with 2893 movement. This was lightly modded by BK and I also added a very nice and correct bracelet with well polished link sides. The insert was the best I have ever seen in terms of a rep. The 2893 movement has been bulletproof.

The Steinhart/Debaufre Ocean-1 GMT's that you linked to can sometimes be found on the bay for less than 400. I got one for about 320 shipped a couple months ago and about a month ago there was one that went for the same price. Also keep an eye out for a Philip Panama GMT as that makes a good donor watch as well. There are a couple others but I can't think of them off the top of my head.