When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Internship in the US

Dutchy

Hey guys,

I've been thinking of doing an internship either next spring or summer in the United States. How exactly would I go about this? I was thinking something at a bank or a recruiting agency (completely different areas but they both interest me greatly). I was born in the US (Washington DC) so I figure that could help me but is there anything else I need to take into consideration? Any companies you are familiar with that may offer something I'm looking for?

I was first thinking of sending a bunch of emails/letters to banks and other financial institutions (as well as recruiting agencies) but I remembered that when I did this in the UK, I was lucky to even get a response (3 responses out of 35 emails/letters sent).

It's not exactly a great time to be looking for work experience considering the financial situation in the US, but even an unpaid internship would suit me fine (though every bit helps!)

Any tips??

Cheers guys. :)

Hey Dutchy, long time no speak! How is your uni course going?

I am currently doing a summer internship with Rolls-Royce, and they had an online application system. It might be worth checking out the websites of various financial companies for online applications rather than sending in c.v.'s etc... Most will have a selection centre for you to attend.

If you have any questions about the process I went through don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

Best Wishes

Hey Dutchy, long time no speak! How is your uni course going?

I am currently doing a summer internship with Rolls-Royce, and they had an online application system. It might be worth checking out the websites of various financial companies for online applications rather than sending in c.v.'s etc... Most will have a selection centre for you to attend.

If you have any questions about the process I went through don't hesitate to shoot me a PM.

Best Wishes

Hey, indeed its been a long time!

Thanks for replying. I applied for the Rolls Royce (and Aston Martin and Bentley) internships and placements in London and Frankfurt, but they said I was either too late or too young (basically, they wanted 2nd year students and not first years). I'm trying again next summer. I made a list of companies that have online applications, but some of them actually want you to send in a CV or email/call them. We'll see what happens!

Hope all is well with you too! Keep me updated :)

Yes it is tricky getting one in your first year. Did you try Rolls-Royce Plc (engines and propulsion systems) or the Rollls-Royce that is now under the BMW brand (cars). If it was the latter try Rolls Royce Plc, they're a great company to work for. It's not America, but it might be worth doing for next summer.

Il send you a PM tomorrow, off to bed now, early start tomorrow!

It's going to be the same in the states! My son can't get an internship until after he finish his Junior Year (3rd year) in college! His would be a paid internship, though and he's to going to one of

our Government Agencies!

Good luck!

Yes it is tricky getting one in your first year. Did you try Rolls-Royce Plc (engines and propulsion systems) or the Rollls-Royce that is now under the BMW brand (cars). If it was the latter try Rolls Royce Plc, they're a great company to work for. It's not America, but it might be worth doing for next summer.

Il send you a PM tomorrow, off to bed now, early start tomorrow!

Thanks my friend! It was indeed Rolls Royce Plc. I haven't contacted BMW yet but will give it a go. I am still aiming towards America and for a financial job (bank or recruiter/head hunter for the financial sector) but they are tough to get by!

It's going to be the same in the states! My son can't get an internship until after he finish his Junior Year (3rd year) in college! His would be a paid internship, though and he's to going to one of

our Government Agencies!

Good luck!

It's generally possible in London/New York after your first year at uni in England (a friend of mine was able to get an internship at Bank of America), and another friend at another bank, but it's really difficult as there's only one or two places available (and huge amount of competition). Thanks for your reply!

Any tips??

Cheers guys. :)

Hi Dutchy,

When you say you were born in the US do you have a US Passport? (as in you are a citizen?) If so you may be in with a chance. Most of the intern recruiting by banks is done by teams that visit the institution that you attend and interview you. Interns are at a premium now with Bear Stearns gone JP Morgan paying people not to show up to their internship. The smaller regional banks are a bit of a no-no at the moment. I would try for the bulge bracket firms - big regional players outside NYC, or try for London (though they are having the same problems).

Recruitment firms usually get paid to find people for a job, with job prospects curtailing in the US then going for a internship could be quite hard...

Good luck,

If you dont ask you will never get a yes

Yours

Enock

Hi Dutchy,

When you say you were born in the US do you have a US Passport? (as in you are a citizen?) If so you may be in with a chance. Most of the intern recruiting by banks is done by teams that visit the institution that you attend and interview you. Interns are at a premium now with Bear Stearns gone JP Morgan paying people not to show up to their internship. The smaller regional banks are a bit of a no-no at the moment. I would try for the bulge bracket firms - big regional players outside NYC, or try for London (though they are having the same problems).

Recruitment firms usually get paid to find people for a job, with job prospects curtailing in the US then going for a internship could be quite hard...

Good luck,

If you dont ask you will never get a yes

Yours

Enock

Hey Enock,

Thank you very much for your reply. I am not a US citizen but have diplomatic status which may help in getting me there (who knows). London may be the best bet but the thing is I haven't been back to the US since I was born and would love to go for a few months (which is why next summer seems perfect). I'll get in contact with a few firms, maybe they would be willing to help in getting me over there. Like you say, you'll never know if you don't ask.

Thanks again!

No I haven't....good one!

EDIT: Couldn't find the internships section on the site but eventually did on Google. Filling in the one for Summer 2009 now.

Thanks again.

No Problem! Boston Consulting is also top. But they are very very hard, prepare to work at least 10-12h per day.It's also not easy to get in!

Cheers!

No Problem! Boston Consulting is also top. But they are very very hard, prepare to work at least 10-12h per day.It's also not easy to get in!

Cheers!

I'll check them out too! Already applied for McKinsey, they said they're reviewing my application and I should hear back from them within 3-4 weeks.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dutchy,

Long time. I hope all is well with you. I'm just seeing this and maybe I'm late but I may be willing to offer you something at my firm. Funny you should post this just now as we have had an interest of late in grooming some individuals interested in becoming a traders or client managers for some expansion we are undergoing. I co-own a small private equity hedge fund with around $30M USD under management at the moment. Basically the business is split in half with my partner who running the client side and myself running the trading side. I have developed several new asset classes in junction with our ongoing expansion which has been exciting and wildly successful especially in these wonderful volatile markets. My partner has in turn developed the client side accordingly and we are also opening a whole financial service company as a seperate business in the future. We see ourselves realistically ramping up to not less than $100M in equity or so in the next 12 months and it may even be as much as twice that. My move to full automation with many of my proprietary trading strategies is opening a lot of doors for us in terms of being capable for more capital. And so the clients follow. Build it and they will come as they say. Anyway, if this sounds like your brand of Cognac as they say, drop me a PM and let's chat about what you would like to accomplish with your internship. You always seemed a bright young man to me and it would be neat to have someone I met here fill some shoes. I don't know if that is something that interests you but if so drop me a PM and I'll give you some more details and where to send a letter of interest and your resume'. We are based in sunny South Florida.