When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Debating my first rep...... Any input welcome

2poor4real1z

I am debating my first rep watch. I ordered a pen from Narikaa to get a taste of the rep world and was not disappointed. I had the idea like a lot of others, that my first rep should be a Rolex. I want a datejust. Nothing fancy just a good everyday watch. I have always wanted one and I think that it would make a great first rep. Then I saw the MB Star Chrono Limited ED. What a great watch. I try one one everyday at my job and love it. Only thing is it's a tad large for my wrist but would be a great special occasion watch. There is a price difference of course so if that was my choice it would take longer to obtain. It would be an awesome first piece and a awesome "special night" watch. But the Rolex is a bit more simple and subtle. It would be what I would were all the time. Although the "style" these days has gone to the larger diameter watches. So what do you guys think? What should I get my feet wet with?

If you like a Rolex, I would recommend the Euromariner or Noobmariner.

This would be an excellent introduction into the rep world with an affordable but good quality rep to start you off.

Alternatively, an Asian Breitling Superocean Steelfish (SFSO) is another good beginners choice.

I'd suggest:

first quartz or automatic.

asian or swiss mecanism.

chrono or non chrono.

leather or ss band.

gold plated or solid SS.

and it's all about your taste, I'd never buy a gold plated one as it will fade, we don't know when, but it will.

best combination from the above:

*auto

*swiss non chrono

*ss bracelet

*solid ss

in that range you'll find very good, tested, unbeatable pieces within a vast range of prices, the least complicated the movement is, the simplest and more reliable the watch can be. Besides, it will probably give you the least of problems.

good hunting!

Chino.

Thanks guys. I would want all SS, and auto. I am kinda confused about the crystal. I have a Bulova (crap watch I know) but it scratches if you breath on it wrong. I see some have sapphire crystals with a coating. Should I be looking for that when I am purchasing? I was kinda thinking the best bet would be to just buy from one of the collectors here that get great reviews like Prefect Clones or Silix. That way i would know I had the best out of box the rep world had to offer. Is that correct assumption. Also is the Swiss movement always better than Asian?

I've had more than 20 asian watches, every of them bought from new. I've had absolutely NO problems with them, mechanicaly speaking. I've had, instead, around 15 eta watches or "asian eta" copies and the only mechanical problems come from this "superior" reps. Why? I don't know, but that's my experience.

so sometimes asian mecs can be more reliable than the "swiss" one, but a REAL swiss eta will probably be indestructible if serviced correctly. The problem with asian movements is that they probably have zero parts to repair them when they break.

i have to agree, i never had any problems with my cheaper asian reps.

i have quite a number of problems with the 'swiss' movements. mostly the winding

mechanism/setting bridge.

there's nothing wrong with starting with a rolex. i think the plain black sub is abit

played out; you can try a newer DJ. they have many interesting dials, josh,andrew

& ruby have tons to chose from.

If you like a Rolex, I would recommend the Euromariner or Noobmariner.

This would be an excellent introduction into the rep world with an affordable but good quality rep to start you off.

Alternatively, an Asian Breitling Superocean Steelfish (SFSO) is another good beginners choice.

I agree with Spy's post. Both of these watches represent great quality at a reasonable price.

Go out to the AD's and try them out. Try the rolx SeaDweller too. Then go on and order one of the three. I am sure You will be hooked :) Try to resist the urge to get all three in the same order. Take your time and try not to act like a kid in a candy shop :p (that is from some one who is currently waiting for 4new+2repair watches)

SO then that leaves the question Who has the best Noobmariner? I have looked at Trustytimes and the minute hand is just crazy but I read that TTK had a nice one.. Who is TTK and what is his site? Since it's a "noob" watch I guess it doesn't matter that the minute hand is crazy looking though.

Edited by 2poor4real1z

TTK's been banned, his strong-est personality and preservation instinct drove him to do/say/think/act abnormally, he had some issues regarding pending orders and gained some enemies in both ol' dead TRC and here. Personally I still think he's a good guy in a bad line of work... if you're a dealer you just can't rant over your paying costumers or your fellow members... not to speak getting into discussion with the admin team.

He should be in another board, but you can still get the same watches maybe with Narikaa... other mariners may be found with the dealers in the dealers section, browse around and start hunting your prize.

cheers!

I would suggest shopping on the Watches section here on the boards...

You can help out the board if it's an auction and snag some beautifully modded pieces and not have to worry about many of the QC and Customs issues other members post horror stories about (I grabbed a Rolex 1680 Two Tone with all the gold parts gen Rolex 18KT, gen tropic 19 acr. crystal, triplock, tube, gaskets, etc. from a member in Canada...I sold it to finance some projects (SSD, etc) and kick myself daily for that decision...the buyer placed it side by side with another 1680 and said apart from one small (fixable) issue with the caseback, the rep is about as close to perfect as you can get).