When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Comex (dial) anyone?

offshore

On gen dials, the word 'COMEX' is painted gloss black against a semi-gloss white background. Also, the 'O' is usually slightly squared.

It is hard to tell from the sellers pictures whether that is the case on this dial or if 'COMEX' is just the background dial color, which is the way nearly all aftermarket dials are printed

98f5_3.JPG

Seller does have a 100% rating from a small number of previous watch sales, but, overall, I have to agree with Doc on this 1 -- caveat emptor.

Update -- Actually, the more I study the pics, the more gen this dial looks.

This 1 could turn out to be another record-breaking sale. Maybe not quite as high as Dowling's DR's $18.5k (because the seller does not have Dowling's name & esteem), but I will bet it ends up close (+/-) & will be purchased with similar intentions (to convert a less rare 5513 over to a VERY rare 5514 along with a gen or Vietnamese caseback).

Update 2 -- Maybe not......

Here is a gen 5514 for comparison

0944.jpg

And a better picture of another gen Comex that shows the gloss black paint better

0293.jpg

Guest carlsbadrolex

Freddy, I agree that is the easiest tell on Comex dials. TO ME... that appears to be gloss black painted over a white background. BUT the O is not square enough.

The alignment of the coronet looks good though.

If in fact this is a gen Comex, I would LOVE to know what happened to the rest of the watch that would leave the dial in good condition.

This dial is worth WAY MORE on a gen Comex than as a dial separately.

Im gonna go with NOT on this one... but maybe... just maybe.