When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

removing the crown on a cheap movement

docdoc

I just bought the snoopy speedmaster which is a cheap entry level rep. But It is a good purpose to experiment things ! So I would like to change the glass on it for a more accurate acrylic domed glass. But as I am a total newbie to this world of watch I don't know where to find the release stem on the automatic movement of the watch to release the crown

Edited by docdoc

Guest carlsbadrolex

The button just above and to the left of where the stem enters the movement is the button you need to press.

That picture appears to show a button that is set a little deep. BUT, if it had been pressed too far and stuck there, the stem would come out... and not be kept back in.

Set the crown in winding position (fully pushed in) before removing the stem.

This will help to avoid keyless work problems when you will reinsert it.

The stem is screwed into the crown tube. As it does not unscrew, most likely a bit of glue was added.

Hold the stem firmly with small pliers, close to the tube (don't press the pliers on any other part of the stem) and try to unscrew.

If it does not work, then try again after applying heat to the crown (don't miss to remove the small rubber gasket before doing it). This should make the glue melt.

The best way to apply heat to the crown is with a solder iron. But also a gaslighter should work.

Stay advised that if you break the stem, 99% it will be impossible to remove the broken stem part from the tube and you will just have to throw away the whole crown.

Are the stems standard ? I mean if I break this one (see how optimist I am) and buy a new one

Both the gen and rep stems should be 0.90mm diameter.

But you might have to trim the stem length a little.

If the gen stem is too long, then shortening it to the needed length is easy.

If it is too short, then you will have to use a stem extender -- no problem, as your pic shows plenty of room between the case and the movement, so you can fit the extender in.

If you have a hand drill, slide the stem into the drill's chuck (with the crown sticking out) & clamp the jaws down around the wide, round base of the stem (make it tight, but not crushing-tight)

gripper.jpg

Once the stem is firmly held in the drill's jaws, you should be able to twist off the crown by hand. If not, try soaking it in WD40 for an hour or so & try again. If that does not work, try heating the crown as described previously.

If you plan to do this again, a pin vice will make the job alot easier (click the pic)

5860.jpg