When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Very First Seiko (Seikosha)

gran

I read in a post today that SEIKO has produced watches and movements since the 1800s today....is it true?

Anyone here know the origin of the brand SEIKO?

I guess the name used to be Seikosha and not SEIKO as used today :g:

Doing a quick search I found this SEIKO Clock. This could be the first Seiko ever made with a luminous dial

two.jpg

On an Japan auctions this Seikosha darkroom timer sold for 5,000 yen ($44). These were used to time your prints while they sat in the various chemicals as you were developing pictures. This could be the first Seiko ever made with a luminous dial

Seiko has been making watches/clocks for a very very long time--since approx. 1881.

All the 'engineering' time-keeping devices in Japan were (and many still are) Seiko designs. This includes maritime clocks, military watches, aviation clocks, weapons ordinance timers, railroad clocks, etc...

Japan industrialized faster than any other country on earth--albeit later than most occidental countries due to Japan being isolated from the world until Admiral Perry broke down the wall. It is amazing to consider that Seikosha had a lot to do with this massive industrialization process. Japan proved it's full industrialized prowess with the defeat of Russia in 1905. It was the first time an Asian country defeated a Western country in war. Most of the Russo-Japanese maritime confrontations were timed & staged with Seikosha timing devices!

I think that most people might know that the most accurate train system in the world (time-wise) is in Japan. There's literally no such thing as a late train. All railroad systems, to this day, are timed via Seiko devices. Train operators for the JR and public subway system Tokyo still utilize Seiko railroad pocket watches!

Here's an interesting thought: what watch can you buy with a superb quality in-house movement for less than $100 these days?

Yeah, I remember reading about Seiko's history on a gen forum. I was surprised by their acheivements and history. They're one of the few "manufacturs" in the world. It's just that they produce their in-house movements by the thousands rather than small numbers like the Swiss. Definitely a capable company. By the qaulity/feel of the MM's and Orient Stars I'd say they know what they're doing.

1881 , formally incorporated in 1917 (I think) meaning if you're going by incorporation dates, it's about 6 years younger than Rolex.

If you really want to feel quality, hold the new Grand Seiko's with the Spring Drive and just feel/notice the quality. You will be amazed.

The company started in 1881, when Kintarō Hattori opened a watch and jewellery shop called "K. Hattori" in the Ginza area of Tokyo, Japan. Eleven years later in 1892, he began to produce clocks under the name Seikosha According to Seiko's official company history, Seiko is a Japanese word meaning "exquisite", "minute", or "success"

The first watches produced under the Seiko brand appeared in 1924. In 1969, Seiko introduced the Seiko Astron, the world's first production quartz watch; when it was introduced, it cost the same as a medium-sized car. Seiko later went on to introduce the first quartz chronograph. 2005 spring drive was created.....

The Seiko Company

Seiko is famous worldwide as the leading producer of top quality quartz watches. Not so many people are aware of the fact that the company is also greatly expertized in the mechanical watch technology. Seiko has been involved in the production of mechanical timepieces even longer than Rolex. The history of the company started in 1881 with the foundation of K. Hattori Co that involved in the production of pocket watches in 1895. The first wristwatch produced by the company appeared in 1913 when it developed its own hairspring. The very first watch under the Seiko brand was released in 1924.

Seiko watches are produced completely in-house. The Seiko watch-makers do the research and development, design and produce the movement, assemble all the components, produce the case and bracelet. The Seiko Group produces every component of its iconic Spring Drive watch.

In Japan, the Seiko Company is highly appreciated as the prestigious producer of luxury mechanical watches worth the chronometer status. Its Grand Seiko and Credo mechanical timepieces are sold for thousands of dollars.

Stil wonder what the very first SEIKO watch looked like?

Edited by Gran