When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looking for Rolex 6542 GMT Master case/bezel dimensions

freddy333

I am looking for size & dimensional information for the 6542 GMT Master case, bezel & (bakelite/plastic) insert.

Please take a look at the following 2 pictures & provide any of the missing dimensions (or corrections to those listed)

casesize.jpg

casesize2.jpg

I PM'd Saabin (again) yesterday, but have not yet received a response.

Please respond ONLY if you have 100% accurate information

Freddy, you know those schematics in Skeet & Urul are almost certainly to scale, so knowing the case thickness/profile, you should be able to calculate the bezel height, total depth etc. Not ideal I know but short of finding someone with access to one of these '50s beauties and a pair of digital calipers, you're going to find it extremely difficult to source this exact information. Just a suggestion, but you could ask NDT or MY if they would be so kind to pass on the specs of their 'replacement' cases and see if it matches your calcs - I think Michael would be the most likely to do this for you if I had to pick.

• 5 years later...

I guarantee that case is not 13mm thick.  My 6536/1 case from the same era is ~5mm thick.  Overall from bottom to top of the crystal it might be 13mm.

Ha indeed 5mm sounds right for the 6542 also?

Just need a good guesstimate on the bezel which I'm trying to make.

I sent my 6536 bezel to JMB to make some coin edge samples from brass. He sent back a blank that's about perfect and it measures 2.06mm thick and 37.51mm O.D. The 6542 will be a little different as its a different shape.

I sent my 6536 bezel to JMB to make some coin edge samples from brass. He sent back a blank that's about perfect and it measures 2.06mm thick and 37.51mm O.D. The 6542 will be a little different as its a different shape.

The coin edge bezel on the sub is just about straight up and down. The 6542 is beveled on the top edge and the bottom edge. 

Bezel diameter

post-3175-0-74238500-1382989194_thumb.jp

Case length (lug tip to lug tip)

post-3175-0-37709700-1382989201_thumb.jp

Case diameter (without crown)

post-3175-0-48904000-1382989206_thumb.jp

Case thickness, measured from flat portion of crystal to caseback

post-3175-0-03446200-1382989212_thumb.jp

Due to the insert's fragility, I cannot remove the bezel to get the bezel thickness, but I think I posted that in 1 of my Phase II constructions threads that you can search out.