When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Making GPFMod style buckle?

petergunny

Hi all,

I was offered by friend whom can make buckle for me coz she knows that now I make leather straps, a certified 316L SS buckle. Then I think why don't I make GPFMod style buckle since this is most sought-after buckle for any PAM's addict. Then I make some drawings of it (based on pictures available on net) and show her if she can produce that and she said that she can do it. But the problem is the minimum quantity, she asked for 1000pcs but then downsized to 500pcs.

I'm not sure about it, I only need around 200pcs for my straps, 100 for 24mm & 100 for 26mm, and don't know what to do with the others 300pcs.

I need idea from all of you expert guys here about this, should I accept her offering for that 500pcs? if I sell the other 300 here & other forums, will it works? the price for each might be around $12.

The SS will be 2mm thick, brushed finished.

I need your input guys.

Best regards,

Peter.

Hi all,

I was offered by friend whom can make buckle for me coz she knows that now I make leather straps, a certified 316L SS buckle. Then I think why don't I make GPFMod style buckle since this is most sought-after buckle for any PAM's addict. Then I make some drawings of it (based on pictures available on net) and show her if she can produce that and she said that she can do it. But the problem is the minimum quantity, she asked for 1000pcs but then downsized to 500pcs.

I'm not sure about it, I only need around 200pcs for my straps, 100 for 24mm & 100 for 26mm, and don't know what to do with the others 300pcs.

I need idea from all of you expert guys here about this, should I accept her offering for that 500pcs? if I sell the other 300 here & other forums, will it works? the price for each might be around $12.

The SS will be 2mm thick, brushed finished.

I need your input guys.

Best regards,

Peter.

I can almost guarantee you'll sell those like hotcakes depending on how they come out

I suppose you will sell them all in the end.

Try a "gauging interest" thread in the general section (to gain visibility) of the various forums, with frequent bumps as this is holiday time so it is not a very good time to get noticed.

At that price, if they come out good, I would buy at least 3 even if I am no fan of pre-V buckles.

Just a heads-up that a fellow member (not me so please do not pm me) has already started producing them and he will get them the next few weeks in his hands.

So there will be competition and I am not so sure if you will be able to sell 500 that easily as they say.

It all depends on the price K! ;)

Just a heads-up that a fellow member (not me so please do not pm me) has already started producing them and he will get them the next few weeks in his hands.

So there will be competition and I am not so sure if you will be able to sell 500 that easily as they say.

...ohh... the more I undecided :wacko: ...

I think I'm gonna ask the steelsmith to do it handmade, means made one by one piece. That 500pcs minimum qty will use machine that designed exactly with the specs from my diagram. I think by make it one by one no need to have 500 pcs, maybe 100 pcs is okay, but the price might be more expensive, but at leas I can use it for myself to accompany my Gunny Straps. If this small project success then I might go for that 500pcs machine made.

Was genuine GPFMod made by hand one by one or mass produced by machine? has anybody know? but from looking pictures from V seems they're made one by one handmade. I dont know for sure.

And I also think that it will be unbranded/unstamped with GPFMod Dep, so I wont be interfered with any "law" things, eventhough GPFMod is not patented.

How is it guys?

...ohh... the more I undecided :wacko: ...

I think I'm gonna ask the steelsmith to do it handmade, means made one by one piece. That 500pcs minimum qty will use machine that designed exactly with the specs from my diagram. I think by make it one by one no need to have 500 pcs, maybe 100 pcs is okay, but the price might be more expensive, but at leas I can use it for myself to accompany my Gunny Straps. If this small project success then I might go for that 500pcs machine made.

Was genuine GPFMod made by hand one by one or mass produced by machine? has anybody know? but from looking pictures from V seems they're made one by one handmade. I dont know for sure.

And I also think that it will be unbranded/unstamped with GPFMod Dep, so I wont be interfered with any "law" things, eventhough GPFMod is not patented.

How is it guys?

I think you should put the GPFMOD DEP stamp... an accurate one with the correct font... A correct shaped buckle with the correct stamp will sell fast... especially at USD12-15... I personally will take at least 3.....

K

I agree. Your main target are us, a bunch of obsessed with details rep lovers. Without the GPF engraving you are going to be left with 100 nice handcrafted buckles and/or 500 nice machine-made buckles.

okay okay... I will try my best to get it stamped with correct font guys...

I agree. Your main target are us, a bunch of obsessed with details rep lovers. Without the GPF engraving you are going to be left with 100 nice handcrafted buckles and/or 500 nice machine-made buckles.

I just saw this and I did want to reply as well. I know you (V) were working with someone to do this as we talked about it before. :D It appears many people like this idea which is a good thing for most of the buyers if not the sellers. :D

I too am working with someone to make some hand made reproductions of this buckle. I have to wait a little longer to see how they turn out. I will be very interested to see how yours turn out V and Peter as well. I personally would be a little nervous with that kind of volume, but I guess depending on price, accuracy, and your initial investment requirement, it could be a good idea. I am not sure what the market is like since all these new buckles have yet to hit the market.

Best of luck though.

I just saw this and I did want to reply as well. I know you (V) were working with someone to do this as we talked about it before. :D It appears many people like this idea which is a good thing for most of the buyers if not the sellers. :D

Nice my friend.. Glad you decided to go forward as well.. Still if you need any photos or details let me know..

BTW I am not the one who is making the buckles.. I just helped this member with some photos and advice. :)

Nice my friend.. Glad you decided to go forward as well.. Still if you need any photos or details let me know..

BTW I am not the one who is making the buckles.. I just helped this member with some photos and advice. :)

I will gladly take any info you can give me. I am not personally making these buckles either. I am just trying to help a friend do it right.

Btw, why the steel color of GPFMod is a bit dark grey, seems a lot darker n more blunt than normal stainless steel? has anybody know? V?

At the time, I assume there were more than one manufacturer. The details are not 100% identical. Chances are some were made out of molds with pot steel. (sand cast).

You will see some Ted Su buckles with the similar look to them. Pretty cool.

They were different era's GPF MOD Dep buckles... Hence not only different manufacturers but also different techniques as well.

The vintage ones of the 40's have a normal stainless steel brushed finish but the more new ones of the 70's mainly for the compasses the buckles were sandblasted or like oldskool said hence they look more grey...

It might be expensive and maybe otherwise silly also, but CASTING a one-off with some very moderate wear and tear is a thought that might deserve consideration before going for laser/water etc.

I want one with some lead in it...

EDIT: Many buyers won

Edited by mastergod