When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this a fake ETA 2892-2 mechanism?

Tom

I've just bought this Franck Muller Conquistador from a well respected dealer. He assured me that this was the rare version with the 2892-2 ETA mechanism. It even has the ETA stamp as you can see from the images below.

A respected forum member emailed me to tell me it's a Seagull ST18 and not an ETA.

Please can you have a look and let me know your thoughts?

As this is such a famous and well loved mechanism I am hoping someone will be able to tell me before I send the heavies around to the dealer - he told me it was a genuine mechanism and I believed him because of the ETA stamps.

Let me know what you think...

dsc01196ut3.th.jpg

dsc01197ns9.th.jpg

Copy movement, all of it...even the stamps if you look closely are actually engraved or inked, not a die mark like the ETA.

RG

woohoo, that's what I posted at rwi: from looking at the pics your 2892-2 stamp is actually laser etched, and the shock system is differant. Paul/Womart was famous for selling these movements, could be the dealer was misled by the maker.

Sorry Tom, but i'm sure the dealer will make it right for you.

Edited by supermanx

Thank you all for such a quick and comprehensive response. I guess that clears that one up.

I have sent an email to Jay at Silix explaining the situation and we'll see what he says. It was sold on his website as a genuine ETA 2892 and I asked him three time if he could guarantee it was genuine....three times he said yes it was the genuine article.

I hope he was just as unknowing as me in this. We shall see.

Thanks again to all that helped.

My gut feeling says he's not to blame either, but the fact is I paid for an ETA not an asian clone.

If something looks too good to be true.........why don't I listen and learn?

I'll let you know what his response is, but I am sure he'll be fine.

Edited by Tom