When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

116520 thin case/mod 7750

ubiquitous

Doing a build for my uncle... Starting to come together ^_^

IMG_4126.jpg

IMG_4128.jpg

IMG_4129.jpg

IMG_4132.jpg

IMG_4133.jpg

IMG_4146.jpg

Need to button up with a couple of small items- Better case clamps for one, but it's more or less done.

I've begged and pleaded with my Uncle NOT to do one of these secs@12:00 116520's, but he's persistent; even after offering to build him a 16520 El Primero.

*sigh* Hope this doesn't become a paperweight for him...

Looks good so far, R.

I have a couple of questions --

1. Is the case a kit or did you disassemble a rep? If the latter, why not use the original case clamps & how did you remove the bezel? I have been completely unable to pry my bezel off using any of the usual procedures.

2. Is the bezel rep or gen? Hard to tell if it is the same (slightly too tall) profile bezel I have on my 116520 or if it is flatter (gen)?

Actually, a 3rd question -- Bracelet or strap for this 1?

Looks good so far, R.

I have a couple of questions --

1. Is the case a kit or did you disassemble a rep? If the latter, why not use the original case clamps & how did you remove the bezel? I have been completely unable to pry my bezel off using any of the usual procedures.

2. Is the bezel rep or gen? Hard to tell if it is the same (slightly too tall) profile bezel I have on my 116520 or if it is flatter (gen)?

Actually, a 3rd question -- Bracelet or strap for this 1?

Thanks, sir.

1) The movement/dial (and pusher, crystal) donor was the typical fat case rep. The case clamps for this one are actually too short for the thin case; as a result, the movement tends to shift when the crown is pulled/pushed.

With regards to the bezel, I simply wedge a razor between the case and bezel to start a very slight gap, at which point I then use a case knife to start working my way around the bezel until I have it lifted from the case.

2) The bezel I used originally came on my aftermarket 16520 case kit. It's a nice, flat profile.

3) I think this one's going on a bracelet; just the standard rep bracelet that comes with this one.

BTW, I think I'm going to convert the fat rep case into a Tudor Chrono Big Block. We'll see...

DL and MK- Thanks for the kind words! Though, I think you guys know my preference!

203_0367.jpg

1) The movement/dial (and pusher, crystal) donor was the typical fat case rep. The case clamps for this one are actually too short for the thin case; as a result, the movement tends to shift when the crown is pulled/pushed.

With regards to the bezel, I simply wedge a razor between the case and bezel to start a very slight gap, at which point I then use a case knife to start working my way around the bezel until I have it lifted from the case.

2) The bezel I used originally came on my aftermarket 16520 case kit. It's a nice, flat profile.

R - Where did you locate the thin profile case itself? Was it part of a kit, like the 16520?

The reason I ask is because I located a low profile bezel a few months ago, but I cannot remove the bezel on my Daytonas. In fact, a number of people have now tried to remove the bezels from either of my 2 thin profile cases (my original 4-year old 116520 rep & the rep I got a couple of months ago from idolreplicas), but neither 1 will budge. Razor blades, paint scrapers, case openers, bezel removers, etc. We tried WD40, we tried heating/cooling, we tried repeated cycles in an ultrasonic, but the damned things will not come off!

Unlike the bezels on the thick Daytona rep cases (which CAN be removed with a razor blade), the bezels on my thin profile Daytona rep cases must either epoxied onto the case or they were not made to be removed. I would love to pop a low profile bezel onto my main 116520, but unless I can find another thin profile case with an easily removable (or already removed) bezel, I appear to be stuck. :(

R - Where did you locate the thin profile case itself? Was it part of a kit, like the 16520?

The reason I ask is because I located a low profile bezel a few months ago, but I cannot remove the bezel on my Daytonas. In fact, a number of people have now tried to remove the bezels from either of my 2 thin profile cases (my original 4-year old 116520 rep & the rep I got a couple of months ago from idolreplicas), but neither 1 will budge. Razor blades, paint scrapers, case openers, bezel removers, etc. We tried WD40, we tried heating/cooling, we tried repeated cycles in an ultrasonic, but the damned things will not come off!

Unlike the bezels on the thick Daytona rep cases (which CAN be removed with a razor blade), the bezels on my thin profile Daytona rep cases must either epoxied onto the case or they were not made to be removed. I would love to pop a low profile bezel onto my main 116520, but unless I can find another thin profile case with an easily removable (or already removed) bezel, I appear to be stuck. :(

The thin case was an old rep. Bought it from ZZ a few months back as a case and bracelet set. Otherwise, I am not sure of it's origins as he got it second hand as well. But I can say that it is specifically for the modified 7750, as it fits perfect with plenty of clearance for the rotor.

The thin case was an old rep. Bought it from ZZ a few months back as a case and bracelet set. Otherwise, I am not sure of it's origins as he got it second hand as well. But I can say that it is specifically for the modified 7750, as it fits perfect with plenty of clearance for the rotor.

Thanks for the clarification. :)