When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New light tent...

gianton

Nice!

Try and put the black cloth above the watch in order to lessen reflections.

Nice!

Try and put the black cloth above the watch in order to lessen reflections.

Or get a black object or black covered object and hold it in your hand and move it to stop the reflections on the crystal -

there is a rigid felt that i use, found at a craft store works REALLY well - cause its stiff enough to hold its shape and its light and flexable as well.

Black reflector card/object work well with if the watches have black, matte bezels, but it can also reduce the lighting on the dial... and generally using all kinds of dark objects to block reflections reduces the overall lighting, and can kill things like bracelet brushing details, strap leather details, etc. And when you have a polished steel bezel (like the watch in the following picture), the card will cause more reflections on that area.

Getting noise free pictures requires some planning. Usually everything is fixed with proper lighting setup. I usually have one lamp shooting from the angled front view, straight to the dial... not directly, but THROUGH the white lightbox wall.

There's nothing technically wrong with this photo, but the dial is reflecting badly from your lightbox "floor" surface. (Same problem with all of the photos). The reflection at '3 o'clock shows where the "floor" of your box ends. Placing the watch a bit higher (on top of some kind of small box, for example) fixes this problem. The rehaut has red/magenta saturated noise. The noise comes from a bit insufficient lighting, and the red color most likely comes from your hand, shirt, etc. Block it off!

2v19t7b.jpg

Use the preview window of your camera. If the box is properly lit, and the room is dark you won't need any reflector cards (when you aim the camera correctly).

Other than these details, good work!

Great start G as said on RG...

For the last pic, I would choose a black piece of paper and make a hole in it for the lens to go through, that way you will have a "black" reflection on the crystral and will your pic look even better...

Looking good! If you want to get more technically proficient, there's a book on lighting that I can really recommend. I've gotten hooked on the Strobist blog, which details photography using small off-camera flashes through the use of a wireless transmitter or cable. He swears by the book Light: Science and Magic.

It makes you think about light differently, helps identify different types of light and reflections and how to find the correct placement of your light within a family of angles to get the best results. A lot of good stuff in there, and a lot to think about with an object as diverse as a watch... such varied surfaces that work differently (leather straps, polished stainless, matte dials, etc) and could be made to really pop if you got the lighting perfect.

Ofcourse, there's so much information in there that I still have a hard time putting it into practice when I'm shooting :). Here's one of my older ones from when I just built my current light tent:

2286780689_ae68bc4f45.jpg

Edited by Acolyte57