When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TAG Carrera Racing SS and Link SS from Joshua.

slask111

Heya all,

Time to share 2 new items bought from J in summer 2008. Overall they are both great items, the look and feel is very good.

J delivered as promised. The Carrera took 2 weeks to arrive and the Link took 1 week. My pros and cons regarding the items are listed below.

TAG Link:

+

Very smooth and sexy watch. Bracelet/crown quality is perfect.

-

Bracelet clips only have one size so can be hard to fit perfect to your wrist (general problem).

Runs fast +1min/day

Lume is a bit weak.

TAG Carrera Racing:

+

Bracelet is very comfortable.

-

O-ring pointing out from the case. Need to open case and correct.

Datewheel not aligned perfect. Some dates seem not to be centered.

The lume.

Good luck with your TAG, i would recommend these from J, im proud to have them on my wrist.

img6277smallzy7.jpg

img6295smallzy8.jpg

img6296smallxv0.jpg

img6298smallhl0.jpg

Edited by slask111

Both very good choices, really accurate replicas ^_^

Are you going to get the DW's swapped for ETA versions? If they were mine I would be tempted to get them sent to K2222 (Jakub), for double AR treatment and DW swap. The Tag link in particular has double AR on the gen, but I don't think the TAG Carrera Racing does...

Then the DW's will align perfectly and have the correct font......

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Cheers! B)

Im really thinking about changing the datewheel and get some AR work on them. I belive it wouldnt hurt to get them serviced aswell. Is there someone that can do all that? Hate to send a watch to 5 diff. guys depending on what work you want to have done ;) *lazy*

Another pic:

img6300smalldc0.jpg

K2222 (Jakub) can do the AR and DW swap, I am unaware if he offers a movement service though....

Also you might want to pick up some sort of black leather racing strap for the Carrera, the strap with holes in.....

Sweet i will talk to Jakub then. I hope i dont need to get the eta wheel though, didnt find any on the bay. No strap for me, only SS. Maybe a rubber strap for the carrera, saw a pic with Hamilton using it and it looked neat. The SS on the Carrera could be more "solid" even though its very comfortable to use.

Both very good choices, really accurate replicas ^_^

Are you going to get the DW's swapped for ETA versions? If they were mine I would be tempted to get them sent to K2222 (Jakub), for double AR treatment and DW swap. The Tag link in particular has double AR on the gen, but I don't think the TAG Carrera Racing does...

Then the DW's will align perfectly and have the correct font......

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Cheers! B)

Hey Mickey you sure?? I thought the AR on the Tag Links was relatively new. Pretty sure I've handled some gen Links with no AR in the past.

Jakub should have the ETA DW's, otherwise you can get them here: http://www.cousinsuk.com/

Part = VAL775025571BW3: Valjoux 7750 Date Indicator 3 o'clock Black Numbers on White Background

I have worn the rep Carrera too, and found the SS bracelet a bit poor quality, and the rubber did not fit my wrist well (6.5") Leather was really comfortable....

Cheers! B)

Hey Mickey you sure?? I thought the AR on the Tag Links was relatively new. Pretty sure I've handled some gen Links with no AR in the past.

I went into my local AD (Ernest & Jones) and the Tag Link with numerals on the bezel (like the rep pictured) had nice strong double AR, the brushed bezel version did not... ^_^

Jakub should have the ETA DW's, otherwise you can get them here: http://www.cousinsuk.com/

Part = VAL775025571BW3: Valjoux 7750 Date Indicator 3 o'clock Black Numbers on White Background

I have worn the rep Carrera too, and found the SS bracelet a bit poor quality, and the rubber did not fit my wrist well (6.5") Leather was really comfortable....

Cheers! B)

Where can I buy a good leather racing strap for my Carrea Racing Chrono?

Edited by topgun

Your most welcome :)

You have been around a while topgun, your post count ratio is not that high though! (0.01 per day) :lol:

Good to see you active on the boards more B)

I'm starting to build a rep collection now so I'll be posting more to get more education from the forum.

Only the new Link Chrono (with numbers on the bezel) has AR. It also has transparent glass caseback.

The older model (which the rep is made of) definitely DID NOT have any kind of AR.

Only the new Link Chrono (with numbers on the bezel) has AR. It also has transparent glass caseback.

The older model (which the rep is made of) definitely DID NOT have any kind of AR.

I ordered a Carrea Racing Chrono from King. Will I have to mod the date wheel and movement to ETA?

You don't have to do anything, but the DW swap is a big improvement :)

As for the AR on the Tag Link, I was unable to see the case back, as I did not ask to handle the Tag, but I do know that AR improves any watch and really makes the dial stand out, well worth doing :)

Maybe K2222 (Jakub) is still doing special offers for members who sign up as supporters of the forum? Might be worth looking into :D

You don't have to do anything, but the DW swap is a big improvement :)

As for the AR on the Tag Link, I was unable to see the case back, as I did not ask to handle the Tag, but I do know that AR improves any watch and really makes the dial stand out, well worth doing :)

Maybe K2222 (Jakub) is still doing special offers for members who sign up as supporters of the forum? Might be worth looking into :D

I'll contact him. Thanks.

BTW, I would also suggest to change the SSB in the Carrera racing to the black rubber. I purchased this watch with the SSB (the dealer convinced me although I preffered the rubber) but the quality of the SSB is no near the watch itself: the links are thin with wide gaps betweem them, which gives the bracelet a cheap look and feel. If you try a gen SSB at AD you can see the difference.

Some people recommended to buy the gen rubber strap and the rep clasp, because the gen clasp is very expensice and they claim the gen strap is more flexible and feels better. I have only the rep rubber, it's quite OK but I did not try the gen.

BTW, I would also suggest to change the SSB in the Carrera racing to the black rubber. I purchased this watch with the SSB (the dealer convinced me although I preffered the rubber) but the quality of the SSB is no near the watch itself: the links are thin with wide gaps betweem them, which gives the bracelet a cheap look and feel. If you try a gen SSB at AD you can see the difference.

Some people recommended to buy the gen rubber strap and the rep clasp, because the gen clasp is very expensice and they claim the gen strap is more flexible and feels better. I have only the rep rubber, it's quite OK but I did not try the gen.

I read on this forum that the gen rubber strap is about $150.00. Ouch!!!

Edited by topgun