When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First rep question...

RobDeep

I just got my first rep, a BR 03-92. It's beautiful. This may be a dumb question but what is the proper technique to get it started initially? I set the date and time, but wasn't sure what the winding process is. Thanks

Oh, it has Asian 4813 movement.

Edited by RobDeep

I don't think you are supposed to be manually winding automatic watches at all. In fact I have read somewhere that it's actually not very good for the gears in the movement. I believe it was The ZigmeisterZumba, praise His name, who warned against this initially.

I always wobble my watches gently for 20-30 seconds after I set the time and complications if applicable, then it will keep itself alive as long as I keep wearing it. A good thirty second wobble is good for about one hour (often more) use on many of my watches.

I don't think you are supposed to be manually winding automatic watches at all. In fact I have read somewhere that it's actually not very good for the gears in the movement. I believe it was The ZigmeisterZumba, praise His name, who warned against this initially.

To re-enforce this hypothesis, some automatic mvt, like the Seiko 7S26, just don't have the mecanism and the possibilty to manually wind them, you can only shake them (swirl them), and that's it. These mvt are known for their robustest and broke very rarely, one of the best mvt out there. Not elegent, but they are very well built, no xtra stuff gears, less is more.

On page 5 you will see how to wind an automatic mvt that don't have the manual winding mecanism:

hxxp://www.seikowatches.com/support/ib/pdf/SEIKO_7S26_35_36.pdf

Thanks for the replies. I was a bit concerned when i first start fiddling with it. I assume the winding (if needed) is done clockwise? That method made a slight "winding" noise and had mild resistance. How delicate are these movements generally? I don't want to damage anything out of ignorance :p

Knowledge appropriate for a gen Rolex does not always apply to reps.

The movement that The Zigmeister said NOT to handwind was the A7750. I have never had any trouble hand winding my genuine ETA watches, but the asian ones (chrono or not) I have had some trouble with. Save your time, don't handwind it, rock it back and forth a few times and put it on.