When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is the GMT master II bezel really ceramic?

Spoooooonz

Someone has said it is plastic, which if true is going to cause problems for people very quickly, as the plastic will look like crap once it gets a swirls of hairline scratches on it. My understanding was that it was alumina or zirconium ceramic bonded to a metal base. Has anyone been able to determine one way or the other?

I have been wearing mine regularly for a few weeks and not a scratch. The dealers describe it as a sandwich bezel meaning it is only a layer of ceramic on the top.

I do not understand why they will do that. they need to make the bezel ceramic period and this will the best rep ever.

Cheers

Guest carlsbadrolex

Tell me how an entire J12 can be made in ceramic for what it does??? Or how SOME dealers can sell a full ceramic HBB for under $500 when others sell the HBB with ceramic bezel for nearly twice that???

I have been told from someone who I trust that a full ceramic bezel will be available in the very near future. THEN the dealers will have a reason to market an ULTIMATE GMT IIc and add another $100 to the price.

The bezel in the GMT IIc IS a layer of ceramic over metal. It IS NOT plastic.

PS, DEALERS.... WHY ARE CERAMIC PARTS SO EXPENSIVE???

Tell me how an entire J12 can be made in ceramic for what it does??? Or how SOME dealers can sell a full ceramic HBB for under $500 when others sell the HBB with ceramic bezel for nearly twice that???

I have been told from someone who I trust that a full ceramic bezel will be available in the very near future. THEN the dealers will have a reason to market an ULTIMATE GMT IIc and add another $100 to the price.

The Full ceramic HBBs for under 500$ suck bigtime!

Guest carlsbadrolex
The Full ceramic HBBs for under 500$ suck bigtime!

Im sorry, I was referring to the one from WatchMark which is actually under $600... not $500.

Does THAT one suck bigtime? It looked pretty good to me.

T

is the ceramic glued to the metal? ceramic is fired at temperatures higher than metal will withstand. also if it is ceramic why are we having reports of them getting scratched? i have knocked the crap out of my gen and it hasn't scratched.

Edited by hk45ca

maybe it is just a fancy ceramic washer with number cutouts like a sandwich dial. You guys say there might be a ultimate GMT2c coming out? maybe this is why the currrent gmt2c is always out of stock or avail is very limited quantities because something better is almost ready... i can see that..

Or its plastic and everything we know is a lie... i think someone should scarifice their GMT to the replica gods and try to scratch that bezel!!!

lol

Guest carlsbadrolex

I see WatchMark is checking this out... Maybe he has some inside GZ scoop??? I also heard that an ALL ceramic GMT bezel insert was going to be available very soon. But I heard of no other "upgrades" to the current version.

These bezel inserts have been taken off some watches. I have had mine off... and I know that Jake48 was sent a spare bezel insert because his was received scratched.

Even when I had mine off I couldnt tell exactly what it was. I think Dizzy is correct. The top is ceramic, the rest is metal. But it sure is a tight fit, because I didnt see any glue, and couldnt even see a joint where the two would have been point together.

I see WatchMark is checking this out... Maybe he has some inside GZ scoop??? I also heard that an ALL ceramic GMT bezel insert was going to be available very soon. But I heard of no other "upgrades" to the current version.

These bezel inserts have been taken off some watches. I have had mine off... and I know that Jake48 was sent a spare bezel insert because his was received scratched.

Even when I had mine off I couldnt tell exactly what it was. I think Dizzy is correct. The top is ceramic, the rest is metal. But it sure is a tight fit, because I didnt see any glue, and couldnt even see a joint where the two would have been point together.

i remember reading when it came out the insert was a sandwich design. i figured it was a thin piece of ceramic on an aluminum base that was glued together. that sounds feasible. there are allot of different mixtures of ceramic and all of them aren't as hard as the material used on my gen. if indeed it really is ceramic it is of much lesser grade and that would explain the scratches we are hearing about. one way to check it is to heat a needle until it is red and stick on the surface of the insert. if it melts it isn't ceramic of any kind. if someone has a extra insert that is already scratched they could tell us in a matter if minutes. if is just a lesser grade i can understand that being that it is a rep but if it is something else that is just wrong.

Im sorry, I was referring to the one from WatchMark which is actually under $600... not $500.

Does THAT one suck bigtime? It looked pretty good to me.

T

I have not seen it in person, but from the pictures I can see that its inferior to the one I have. It also houses a different movement and datewheel than my watch. The plastic parts look like they're made of much lower quality and the clasp seems to be lousy aswell. It also comes with a black crown, which I have never seen on a black magic?

I'm very happy with the watch I got, and I'm very tight when it comes to buying watches! I would not have spend close to 600$ for watchmarks. Maybe 300, but not more!