When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA 2836-2 GMT models

adrenalin

Greetings all,

This subject may have already been beaten to death, but have unable to find much in the archives about the ETA 2836-2 GMT models and their reliability/ movement. I read with intrest about modifications and their relative lack of reliablity, maintinance issues ect... but that isnt what my question is about...

I am looking to get a noob Rolex GMT for a gift. I notice that at Trusty theirs has the ETA 2836-2 movements. I am not planning on any mods, as they would probably be lost on the person who is recieving it. What has been everybodies experinence for functionality, useablity, and longevity... Do the 2836-2's break at the first winding? Should I keep looking?

Thanks in advance, and again, I apologise if this has been covered in detail elsewhere.

Regards,

-K

Wrong hand stack ETA 2836-2 is very reliable movement, if you really get a genuine ETA. I've owned many of them and never experienced any problems.

The GMT function is faux, read this, it's not a "real" GMT movement, but serves its purpose.

The faux GMT function has been achieved by using one extra gear, which is 2x bigger than the hour hand gear, so it slows down the hand 2x in relative to the hour hand. This modification is so simple that it shouldn't cause any kind of technical issues.

I've heard that sometimes the GMT hand doesn't follow properly, but this is often just complaints from people who don't understand the function of the GMT watch. It is supposed to be twice as slow as the hour hand, and on GMT Master you read the 24h time from the bezel.

The new wrong hand stack movements in the GMTIIc seems to ba hit and miss, and I have no idea what movements the dealers put into these watches. They might not be genuine ETAs from all dealers... but in the old days this movement used to be good.

Try this:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=78321

I have a Pam 063 with this same movt I think and it is a goner after 2 days of use...

The correct hand stack modification has nothing to do with the standard ETA 2836-2 "faux GMT"... it's a MODIFICATION. Just like seconds at '6 Daytona is a modification. These are technically and operationally two different functions.

The problems are not movement related in both of these... they are related to the unnatural modifications, made by Asians. Please see the difference in this. "Correct" hand stack movements (correct for Rolex) are very rare. Most reps have the standard whs ETA, with the adjustable 24h hand.

To be exact, the wrong hand stack is a modification too... but it's very light and simple one.

Its a damn shame, because the GMT mod is a wonderful thing... but every GMT modded ETA 2836-2 I've had over the past two years is now dead... one Asian 21j is still running... but is very very touchy as far as setting time/date/24hour hand... I've got a few 2893-2's running with 24hour hands, they run like champs, but are pretty much unavailable these days.

That leaves the a7750 as the best GMT modded option in my mind (obviously wouldn't work to well with Rollie reps)....Only GMT modded rep's I've got that run well are the a7750 based Pam ones... I'm not a a7750 fan by any means... but at least the GMT modded variety seems to last / work as intended for at least the service life of a rep. Haven't tried to service a gmt-modded 7750 yet... still working up my chops on the unmodded 7750's.

I have the wrong hand stack ETA 2836-2 in my Panerai. GMT hand stopped moving after 3 months. My source was kind enough to offer to fix it, so I hope I have better luck when it returns.

After reading The Zigmeister's review, I am keeping an eye out for a 2893-2 and will probably swap movements if I can ever find one at a decent price.

I have the wrong hand stack ETA 2836-2 in my Panerai. GMT hand stopped moving after 3 months. My source was kind enough to offer to fix it, so I hope I have better luck when it returns.

After reading The Zigmeister's review, I am keeping an eye out for a 2893-2 and will probably swap movements if I can ever find one at a decent price.

Thanks for all the links and comments. I am not sure if I want to deal with the 'faux' part of the GMT, though I do like the pepsi bevel. Perhaps just a reasonable submariner would be a better choice for now... If I understand everybody correctly, the trouble with the movement is with the hand stack and the use of the 24hr hand, and not the actual mechanism, per se...

Now, I have several more hours of reading ahead of me... when am I supposed to work? :D

Keith

Can only speak for myself, but my watch actually kept perfect time ... better than many of my gens. The only issue was that the GMT hand stopped moving.

If I didn't actually need it (I travel through many time zones frequently) I would not have bothered to get it fixed. I have the ETA version, not the Asian.

Edited by tomhorn

I don't know if this will help any of the members that have had trouble with the modified 2836. I had the same problem with the GMT hand stopping until I read a post by a fellow member, don't remember who or I would give him credit.

Bottom line is that the 24 hour wheel will slip, its a problem with the design, however if you will set the GMT hand in the desired position, then after setting GMT hand SLOWLY advance the date until it starts to just move the date in the date window, stop before the date actually advances and turn the crown the opposit direction until the date is back in the proper position, push crown back in and screw the crown in place. This minor proceedure has reengaged the GMT hand every time I have done it, its just a habit to do it that way now.

I have three GMTs, one Asian, one 7750, and one 2836-2.

In my experience the 2836-2 is the best, most reliable of the bunch, a Seamaster GMT that I've had for ab. 2.5 years. It's also my GMT of choice when I travel, so I've reset the GMT more than on any of the others.

I would not blink at buying another GMT with the 2836-2.

First GMT I bought, Incorrect handstack from bklm, runs like a gem. :1a:

On the winder it keeps spot on time.

Second GMT CHS ceramic, it was a must have. What a POS lasted about a week, left on winder with BKLM gmt, and have a more accurate sundial in the dark. :cry2:

Unable to adjust the GMT hand at all, Feels like something in the gears is missing. Maybe I am the unlucky one but it is the last 1 that I buy! :yuk:

Second GMT CHS ceramic, it was a must have. What a POS lasted about a week, left on winder with BKLM gmt, and have a more accurate sundial in the dark. :cry2:

Unable to adjust the GMT hand at all, Feels like something in the gears is missing. Maybe I am the unlucky one but it is the last 1 that I buy! :yuk:

Uh... you can't adjust the GMT hand on the chs movement... you're not supposed to. You adjust the hour hand instead, just like on genuine Rolex.