When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vacheron Constantin Overseas or Ingy?

blade007

guys, I need your advice. i am liking both the above mentioned watches and thought I will get your opinions.. So far, having searched through the forums I have concluded that

INGY flaws:

* hands too small

* wrong caseback

INGY good:

* Double AR

* Swiss ETA

* 42mm

I havent managed to find enough info or a comprehensive review on the VCO. can anyone please tell me if and why I should choose VCO over ingy? Are there any flaws with VCO?

Cheers

Well i only have the ingy but had a good look at the VCO when in Brussels (the older one with the square date window), and Bulldog AR, this was a very nice watch, similar size and weight to the Ingy, i have heard the newer VCOs have the correct date window and good AR out of the box, I think the question here is which one you prefer, both are very good, both were designed by the Genta.

I wear my ingy for work but i dont think the VCO lends its self to an every day watch, it is little more elegant with the bracelet design and bezel, so i would say when and were you want to wear the VCO may answer your question, but the ingy in my eyes could be worn any where.

I wear my ingy for work but i dont think the VCO lends its self to an every day watch, it is little more elegant with the bracelet design and bezel, so i would say when and were you want to wear the VCO may answer your question, but the ingy in my eyes could be worn any where.

I agree, I do like the ingy more as its a little less formal and fits in with my preferences a lot more, its just the smaller hands and flaw on the caseback (Co.) thats putting me off it. what do u think?

I agree, I do like the ingy more as its a little less formal and fits in with my preferences a lot more, its just the smaller hands and flaw on the caseback (Co.) thats putting me off it. what do u think?

VC has long standing bracelet problems...soft screws...stripping...lots of horror stories. It's a beautiful watch but...

Well i own the rep and the gen and i dont for a second miss the gen when the rep is so good, they feel so good, BTW there are gens ingys with short hands!

For obvious reasons, no one obsesses over consistancy in genuines but as been illustrated here many times, the genuine article doesn't hold up to the critical assessment we subject replicas to. The operational quote here is "All reps have flaws"...the fact is if you expect every model in a particular genuine line to be exactly the same...they all have flaws too.

I have both an Overseas and an Ingy, and enjoy them both.

The Overseas is a more elegant watch, and is more appropriate for dressy occasions. Until I recently got a Royal Oak Jumbo, the Overseas (white dial) was my primary watch for dressy occasions.

I love the look of the faceted Overseas bracelet, as well as the watch's slim lines. And when you polish the case, bezel, and bracelet the contrast between brushed and polished surfaces is fantastic.

But that's a rub (pun intended) for me. To polish all of the nooks and facets of this watch takes more effort than on any other watch in my collection.

The Ingy is a a beefier and heavier watch, similar to a UPO. And while the design is quite distinctive, it doesn't scream for attention the way a lot of other watches do.

Some people had problems with the clasp on the Ingy bracelet, myself included. A weak weld resulted in a broken clasp and I ended up buying a replacement from a dealer.

On the other hand, IWC bracelets are the simplest to resize and feel buttery smooth. The Overseas bracelet, as someone else noted, can have problems with soft screws, so understand the pluses and negatives of each.

In the end, if I could only keep one it would be the Ingy.

This is a tough choice between two excellent replicas. The obvious choice is to get both! If no then consider:

Ingy biggest flaw is the date font. You must get this upgraded (check Lello). Otherwise it is perfect. It is also quite thick and hefty. For me, it falls in my casual/daily wearer category. Sturdy and understated.

The VCO's biggest issue as mentioned is the bracelet screws. I've had this issue in every VCO i've seen. Other variations revolve around the date window shape and the accent over the word Geneve (or lack of). These minor issues hardly retract from the beauty and elegence of this watch. It has a much thinner profile than the ingy, and could be considered a dress watch. The bracelet, despite it's screw issue, is much more interesting than the ingy.

You really can't go wrong with either. Throw in the MBK Nautilus and you're really screwed! :)

gentacollage-1.jpg

I have both of them. Ingy with the latest Chieftang's AR/Lello's datewheel, and VCO with black dial.

From the point of view of modding Ingy is preferable, because Lello's DW is practically the only thing

you need to get to make the watch visually indistinguishable from the early version gen (

the one with shorter hands). The double AR is already there in new versions.

Yes, the bracelet (buckle) can easily be broken, but this is easily fixable

with some epoxy like JB Weld - I fixed a couple of Ingy bracelets wth it, and it works just fine.

There is a nice thread related to the fix.

There are two versions of VCO dials - older one with matte numbers and rectangular date window, and

new one with glossy numbers and trapezoidal date window (from Silix).

I have both of them, and tried both. Actually I ended up buying the gen dial from

watchcoaustralia on eBay. I can say, that the older dial is closer to the gen, then the Silix's one.

I filed down the date window on the older dial to make its shape closer to the trapezoidal, and

after that the only noticeable two differences between the gen and the rep are slightly lesser size of the numbers,

and white color of the numbers/marks on the inner bezel (silver on the gen). The numbers on the gen dial are

not glossy, and the shape of the date window is different from the Silix's version. The cross on the Silix's dial is

much close to the gen, than the on older dial (way too small)

I have never had any problem with the bracelet.

It is also known, that although the rep caseback is beautiful, but it is still not as detailed as the gen.

As soon as I finish this modding project, I'll post the pictures comparing the dials.

thanks for all the input guys, it really puts it into perspective for me. I am not that much of a dress watch person myself. I am considering getting ingy on the kevlar strap, I guess VCO on any other strap wont be possible? sadly, I am not a bracelet fan...

Also, as all of u pointed out, modding ingy would only require a date wheel swap, not overly complicated i guess.

Patek, hmmm. i think its the blue dial thats putting me off, otherwise its a very sexy watch. Time to contact PT for the ingy i guess. hehe..

Thanks again guys. :-) :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I totally agree with the other points people have made. I got the Lello date wheel for my Ingy and it made a huge difference.

What really sets the Ingy and Overseas apart from many other watches is the wonderful texture of the dials.

Ditto on the dial of the Royal Oak Jumbo. My Ingy has a black dial (is there any other choice here?), the Overseas has a white dial, and my Jumbo has a dark blue dial.

(pause to compare the three)

Of the three, the Jumbo has the most stunning dial, then the Overseas, then the Ingy.

(more pause to consider the differences)

I think I just talked myself into an AR treatment for the Ingy.

I can only speak from my experiences... I've got the Ingy (with the AR/datewheel fixed, mine was an older mid '06 watch so no AR from the factory) and the newer version of the VCO... Both are wonderful watches.

I agree with the posts above... the Ingy is more casual, and the VCO makes a great dress watch... but in all honesty... which gets more wear?

My Ingy, by a long shot.... and the newer version with factory AR? no-brainer, toss on the datewheel and your good to go.

I do however stare adoringly at the VCO at least once a week and think to myself "Self, You should really wear that one more... its beautiful".

I do however stare adoringly at the VCO at least once a week and think to myself "Self, You should really wear that one more... its beautiful".

When you're tired of staring at it, send me a PM...I'd be happy to take it off your hands ;)