When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine GMT IIc Observations

HauteHippie

I was in a Rolex AD this afternoon, and asked to see the GMT IIc they had in the case. I took about 3-4 minutes to really play with it and here are some observations, for those who haven't yet handled one:

* The AR on the cyclops is quite subtle. Because of the large dome on the cyclops as compared to a watch crystal, reflections are picked up from wide angles. The AR doesn't eliminate them to the extent it would on a crystal. Still, though, the AR does subdue bright jewelery store overhead lights and makes the date window more readable.

* The GMT hand is just a 24 hour hand. It can not be set independently. (Probably due to the rotating bezel)

* The hour hand and minute hand can be set independently! Kinda cool. I've never seen this feature.

* The bezel has 12 positions around the dial, and doesn't "click" into place. It sort of softly glides into each position.

* This is a darn nice watch. I now understand the hype over the rep!! The $6800 price tag was a bit of a turn off, but I still might consider owning the gen some day.

FWIW

-Chief

* The GMT hand is just a 24 hour hand. It can not be set independently. (Probably due to the rotating bezel)

There has never been a genuine Rolex with independently adjustable 24 hour hand. This is a replica "faux" GMT modification only... all real GMT watches use an adjustable hour hand. The 24 hour hand can, of course, be set from the hacking position (the last crown position)... where it moves along (in sync) with the hour hand.

There has never been a genuine Rolex with independently adjustable 24 hour hand. This is a replica "faux" GMT modification only... all real GMT watches use an adjustable hour hand. The 24 hour hand can, of course, be set from the hacking position (the last crown position)... where it moves along (in sync) with the hour hand.

Ah. Well that shows how rep-centric with Rollies I am!! BTW, the last position on the GMT IIc was moving the minute hand...

I do believe the 2892-based Omegas have the independently adjustable 24 hour hands though, right? That's how the 2892 GMT movements in my PAM reps work, anyhow.

Just for the record: the old Rolex GMT I didn't have an adjustable hour hand... nothing was possible to set independently. The second timezone function was only operated from the rotating bezel.

Yep! Very smoothly and effortlessly with no clicks.

How does the rep compare functionality-wise to what I described?

You got me confuse, my GMTIIC IHS, rotates both ways on one hour increment the bezel has 24 hours so is 24 clicks not 12!!!. that why you got me confuse you said 12 click. The click is smooth almost no noise

You got me confuse, my GMTIIC IHS, rotates both ways on one hour increment the bezel has 24 hours so is 24 clicks not 12!!!. that why you got me confuse you said 12 click. The click is smooth almost no noise

Yea, you could be right.... I had thought I noticed the bezel marker stopped at each hour marker (12 of them) around the dial and so one complete revolution around the dial took 12 "clicks"... But that really wouldn't make sense, so obviously I wasn't paying attention.

Here is a demo of the gen's function. The chs rep functions similarly

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">