When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vertu Ascent Ti Group Buy

Guest Sql_pl

Why would someone drop a Casio for a Panerai? Just to be cool?

Casios have calculator, alarm, remote control and a lot of other things that Panerais don't.....

Panerai is a step back - it only tells time.... so not-cool :)

ok, i guess i understand - i just use my phone as a portable office, email , calender - wm6. high speed web access.

i figured most people were moving tword that - unless your so important you ahve someone doing that for you - hence the vertu :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sql_pl

Thanks Jon.

For now here is how it looks like:

1. Ubiquitous - 1 x Black

2. Richard Lawton - 1 x Brown, 1 x Red

3. shtslr - 1 x Black

4. iceberg1459 - 1 x Black

5. Mastermind - 1 x Black

6. promotersf - 1 x Black

7. Jon Martin - 1 x Red

I think it's a great looking phone, that's why i'm going for it. I always carry 2 cell phones anyways, one for biz and my personal "Bat Phone" for the VIPs in my life, family, friends etc. Now my "private" phone can have a little more style...will it replace my 3g iphone, No...but a nice partner in crime. Can't wait to get it. ^_^

And yes, it looks cool as F&*K. :victory:

man i wish this happened in the beginning of the summer....I don't have the cash now....busy being the "poor college student". But I guess I'll save up for it now, as long as the price with the dealer is close on a individual buy.

That phone looks so cool it will probably get you laid. And no LOL because I'm serious.

Guest Sql_pl

1. Ubiquitous - 1 x Black

2. Richard Lawton - 1 x Brown, 1 x Red

3. shtslr - 1 x Black

4. iceberg1459 - 1 x Black

5. Mastermind - 1 x Black

6. promotersf - 1 x Black

7. Jon Martin - 1 x Red

8. takashi - 1 x Brown

in usa we have gsm 850/1900. this vertu has can only do 1900, so in places where you have 850 towers the reception will be close to "0". it is fine for the city but when you travel you may have problems. the best phone for usa is dual band 850/1900 Mhz.

thanks guys

am gonna call Tmobile & figure out if all their services will work with this baby ... the iPhone is still in my thoughts though (for the Mrs)

Why would someone drop a Casio for a Panerai? Just to be cool?

Casios have calculator, alarm, remote control and a lot of other things that Panerais don't.....

Panerai is a step back - it only tells time.... so not-cool :)

Thanks man, couldnt have said it better ;)

in usa we have gsm 850/1900. this vertu has can only do 1900, so in places where you have 850 towers the reception will be close to "0". it is fine for the city but when you travel you may have problems. the best phone for usa is dual band 850/1900 Mhz.

True, you need a quadband phone in some rural areas.

BUT, I have lived in Urbana, Ohio (which is in the middle of nowhere) and even over there I had GSM 1900 reception.

If you want to know if you have 1900Mhz towers in your area, simply call your carrier (tmobile/ATT) and ask them. But in any town thats not in the boonies, there should be 1900Mhz!

I think they have done the transition from 850 to 1900 a few years ago. So mostly GSM in the USA now are using the 1900 Mhz. It has longer range therefore it is the preferred frequency.

Anyhow, it works in Europe and most Asian countries too. Their band is 900/1800Mhz.

Thanks man, couldnt have said it better ;)

It's that and also status....

I like the features on my phone (N82) because it has almost everything.... internet, GPS, music, videos etc etc

But the Vertu is a rich man's phone.

Why would a rich man need GPS? He probably has a driver, or if not, an expensive car with built in GPS.

Why would a rich man need a music player on a phone? He's hardly likely to take public transport.

Ditto with videos, probably has an entertainment system in the car already.

And similar with camera, they'll have an official photographer, or an expensive camera already that gets little use ;)

Yes, I'm poor :p

It does look good though!

Well... Agree with Chronus. Same analogy like Panerai vs Casio.

It's part status symbol, part fashion - I personally prefer the look of Panerai over a Casio calculator watch. The calculator functionality is pretty much obsolete now that all of those functions can be done on your phone ;) In fact, a lot of people eschew wearing watches and look at their phone display for the time.

Back to the phone though, I was half tempted at the first thought of these, but I am worried about these blowing up (chinese phones do that apparently), battery leakage, radiation etc. Not conforming to safety standards on a watch will at most leave you with sharp edges perhaps and are more aimed at workplace standards - and most people don't care about the worker's life. Safety standards on a piece of electronics can have a very different impact on the user, and it really does scare me! I think this is a case where I'd rather get the genuine than the rep!

I hope everyone here will be ok... or at least use bluetooth headset and keep the handset away from the nether regions! I don't want anyone reporting injuries from exploding phones!

Edited by Chronus

That is a very very sound advice Chronus. I will definitely look into buying gen Battery :lol: Provided it fits.

Rep phone needs modification too with gen parts ^^

Good idea! Hopefully a genuine battery will help reduce some of the downsides. I couldn't find any vertu products at mobilefun.co.uk (where I first look for phone accessories) though. I'm guessing this is a range where the owners prefer going to the boutiques and being pampered ;) I imagine it's based on a nokia design so find the correct nokia battery perhaps ?

I am guessing so. The battery could very well be a rebranded Nokias :lol:

Well... I won't be surprised that this may even come with already excellent battery. Those Nokias are now made in China too.

Yes but don't risk factory seconds on a battery. It's one thing having a scratch on a bezel - that's not gonna kill you...!