When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Day Date II?

jot9011

Rolex DDII  

55 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you would like to see the DDII repped?

• No way! 41mm? That's a sissy watch. Give me the Deep Sea Dweller
    • You bet! Rep it up and I'll buy it.

Actually Rolex discontinued the RG, WG and YG Oyster bracelets for the DayDate / President this year. Sad but true :(

Really? I knew the rg/yg oyster was gone, but thought you could still get the 73209 band as an option.

I like the pres band, and its VERY comfortable, but it also looks very small. I stopped wearing it when my wife put it on and it looked the right size on her wrist :p

The glacier is a whole 'nother watch... wouldn't care about the size if I had a glacier.

Yes, the glacier is just beyond the beyond of luxury to the hundredth power. To me, that watch is it - the ultimate platinum dress watch on a bracelet hands down. Add a strapped platinum offering from Lange (L1, Richard Lange, Saxomat, etc.) and a platinum Malte Chono from VC and you have the holy Trinity in 950...

Really? I knew the rg/yg oyster was gone, but thought you could still get the 73209 band as an option.

I like the pres band, and its VERY comfortable, but it also looks very small. I stopped wearing it when my wife put it on and it looked the right size on her wrist :p

The glacier is a whole 'nother watch... wouldn't care about the size if I had a glacier.

• 2 months later...

I would suggest going to an AD and trying on the real thing before buying this rep to be sure you like it. It is much different in person than the pictures. Worse, that is. I think many will be surprised at how big it wears for starters. It wears WAY bigger than 41mm and it is the way that it wears that is more strange. Big, clunky, imitative, and unrefined. Not words one is used to hearing in a Rolex description...

And why they chosse to make it worse by placing the most elegant bracelet ever designed on a big bulky watch is even more disturbing. President bracelets are amazing and awesome - on 36MM Day Dates where they belong. At least Rolex would have the decency to put an Oyster bracelet on any watch they release that is 40MM+ in size. Why they would do so on the YMII and not think they would need to on the DDII baffles me. If you ask me, Rolex just dogged their brains out on this. Just terribly thought out. Or should I say after-thought out...

Robbie I have to agree with you. I would much rather have that DD II in the standard 36mm size. In fact I have a very similar one on order.

Recently I've been wearing nothing but my MBK Nautilus and Datejust, and I have to say, those are two beautifully designed watches. The DD and DJ are pure classics IMO, Rolex nailed it with those two in terms of a sports/dress watch. I still prefer the Nautilus, but I also love DDs and DJs. I'm also fortunate in that I have small wrists, so the DJ looks perfect for my wrist size.

Yeah no doubt on the design, but even wrist size has little to do with it. My wrists are 7.5" and I'm 5'9" 160lbs with fairly broad shoulders for my size and athletic build. The point being that stature has more to do with wear size than anything else. A guy that is like Bytor's size, who is a powerlifter, is going to make the watch look small no matter the wrist size. Not much a big guy can do about that except to only wear it with suits under shirt sleeves. But if you are an average guy - even with big wrists like mine, the 36MM Rolex will not look small. It will wear smaller worn outside short sleeves and bigger outside long sleeves though. Consider this pic with my 7.5" wrists that show the whole watch and wrist. I doubt anyone would say the watch looks small on me at all. Anyone? Meanwhile, compare the shot of my same wrists with my 42MM Aquatimer, which of course wears bigger than its size being "all dial" so to speak. I think if one were evaluating these two pics he would say the AT looked big before saying the DJ looked small. And yet the consensus is that a 42MM watch is average in size these days. I love both sizes personally, but I still have to disagree with the general size consensus these days. Size is very relative...

DJmini1.jpg

ATmini1.jpg

Robbie I have to agree with you. I would much rather have that DD II in the standard 36mm size. In fact I have a very similar one on order.

Recently I've been wearing nothing but my MBK Nautilus and Datejust, and I have to say, those are two beautifully designed watches. The DD and DJ are pure classics IMO, Rolex nailed it with those two in terms of a sports/dress watch. I still prefer the Nautilus, but I also love DDs and DJs. I'm also fortunate in that I have small wrists, so the DJ looks perfect for my wrist size.

• 4 months later...