When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Submariner PVD

looseends

I've been looking for a PVD watch. I was considering a Chase-Durer which are pretty affordable, but I didn't really like the design. Lots of markings leading to a busy dial/bezel. And Submariners have always caught my eye, but I've been happy with my GMT and ExpII. So we've all seen the recent Subs and GMTIIc popping up with PVD coating, and it looks like Angus is going to source a Pro Hunter dial and get us a decent rep (here's hoping :pray:).

But a little over a week ago, I decided to test out an unauthorized dealer, and the PVD Sub. Everything with the dealer turned out okay, and I got my watch in about a week - so that's pretty satisfying for what I considered a shot in the dark. (rolex2u, please note Tony is not an authorized dealer, and I myself have read of mixed experiences). I got this Sub PVD for $93, shipping included. There's a lot of "DateDusts" on the site, if ya know what I mean.

As you'll note, the images on the site do not match my images. However the watch received exceeds my expectations. (Apologies for the poor images, I posess neither a macro lense nor ambition to create studio quality images).

post-13138-1219359132_thumb.jpg

The dial printing is pretty decent. The site pics looked like a bad dial, this one is okay. The lume markers do not lume. :( But the pearl and hands do.

post-13138-1219358972_thumb.jpg

The bezel insert is decent, can't get a good shot of the pearl, it's okay. At the very least, the font is not too fat.

post-13138-1219358996_thumb.jpg

Poor shot - but he crystal/bezel heights are not even. The bezel is uni-directional, and the clicks/feel are not very refined. The etched Rolex crown is definitely too large, it is obvious to the eye.

post-13138-1219358984_thumb.jpg

What you're seeing is dust on the bracelet, the finish is actually pretty flawless. In the coming weeks I'll see how the coating stands up to scratches. :g:

post-13138-1219359026_thumb.jpg

The coating is very glossy, not what I expected. It is dark and lustrous. :shock:

post-13138-1219359038_thumb.jpg

The movement is definitely a cheapo Asian, the rotor sound is distinct but not too noticeable, and the date font is poor. However the second hand sweep is as good as an ETA. The movement still winds when you screw down the crown.

All in all, for $93, I'm pretty happy, even if it breaks down tomorrow (just get a new movement then :bleh: ).

I'm curious to hear what everybody thinks.

1. It's Ok to go with a fantasy PVD.

2. It's OK to go with an "unauthorized" dealer.

It makes the whole thing a lot more fun and I do both from time to time.

I'm still looking for a PVD Daytona.

Carl

Yes, I purchased one too. I am still waiting for it to arrive. I am going to put in a custom dial and an ETA movement just to have an novelty watch.

That was my original thinking, swap out the dial and movement. But I'm going to run with this and see what happens. It's just a fantasy watch either way, and I'd like some modding practice.

1. It's Ok to go with a fantasy PVD.

2. It's OK to go with an "unauthorized" dealer.

It makes the whole thing a lot more fun and I do both from time to time.

I'm still looking for a PVD Daytona.

Carl

I'm not trying to shill for this guy... but PVD Daytona can be seen here. Again, probably just a base for a fantasy watch.

I'm totally digging the pro-hunter look - I know its a fantasy and I'm pretty sure Rolex will only make a PVD version at a military's request.

I need a new street beater - my B&R has got a scratch on the PVD - so i gotta be more careful! This could be it!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Coincidentally, I was looking at the same watch today here in Hong Kong. I thought the dial was really off, so I gave it back and got the hell out of there before he beat the crap out of me.

Still thinking of a pro-hunter with nylon strap though.

Yeah, I bought this on a lark to see what it was like. I wear it as a beater only, on the rare occasion there's physical labor involved. The dial is pretty bad. I still think about getting a Pro-Hunter.

• 2 months later...