When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone recently purchase a SMP and play with the bezel? (pic)

P4GTR

Just got a SMP from Josh. Overall i'm happy with the watch. Gen ETA, per a thread here, which included a look by zig himself.

Bezel pearl is off center. Josh is sending me a new insert. Bezel feels VERY tight. An attempt to pop it off resulted in cold sweats and doubting myself, so I backed off. Anyone have recent experience with these? I've got a bad feeling (i've done many subs, but no SMP's), and am looking for some recent experiences of others.

DSC02543.jpg

Oh my. Don't wreck it.

Are you trying to remove the bezel or just take out the insert?

If it's the same as my SMP, shifting the bezel insert is a bugger.

Exactly. Its a gift from my girlfriend. I don't want to break it! The off center pearl is the only thing that bothers me. I see it crookedly staring at me. Looking at me like, "HA!"

I just want to replace the insert with a centered pearl. I know I can pull the entire thing apart and pop the glass, but thats even less of an option.

I'm thinking watchsmith, but what if they bust it too? They don't know these reps any better than me.

To remove the insert you don't need to remove the bezel, it should just pop out. Try heating it with a hairdryer first as they're usually held on with glue.

How hot are we talking here? Then what? Any tricks to "popping" it?

Is there any truth to the rumor some of these bezel pearls are attached to the bezel itself, not the insert? Like the planet ocean.

Im not sure how hot. Just try using the hairdryer on it and then twisting it with your fingers which will loosen it, and then just slip a really tiny screwdriver in there to pry it off (it may bend it but it won't matter if you're getting a new one. I am not 100% sure, but I think the pearl being attached to the case was 'unique' to the UPO.

If that doesn't work, then to remove the bezel itself, just use a credit card or a tiny screw driver to pry it off. Start on one side and gently oift it, then go to the other side with another tool and then it will pop off.

Im not sure how hot. Just try using the hairdryer on it and then twisting it with your fingers which will loosen it, and then just slip a really tiny screwdriver in there to pry it off (it may bend it but it won't matter if you're getting a new one. I am not 100% sure, but I think the pearl being attached to the case was 'unique' to the UPO.

If that doesn't work, then to remove the bezel itself, just use a credit card or a tiny screw driver to pry it off. Start on one side and gently oift it, then go to the other side with another tool and then it will pop off.

Do you guys pull the mvmt for the hairdryer trick?

Man this bezel is on tight. I've popped and fixed bezels before. I've got noobmariners on and off. This one is just rediculous, I'm not pushing it.

I'm trying the hairdryer if that doesnt work I don't know what else to do. The pearls killin me though. :huh:

Bad news I'm afraid.

If thsi is the same rep as Silix sells (and I'm very confident it is) the bezel insert is going to make you sweat.

I heated my watch to the point where I could not pick it up and the insert still would not move. When I tried to use a sharp sewing needle to lever between the crystal and bezel insert, I ended up scratching it.

Finally lifted it off and realigned it, but it carries the scar.

Bad news I'm afraid.

If thsi is the same rep as Silix sells (and I'm very confident it is) the bezel insert is going to make you sweat.

I heated my watch to the point where I could not pick it up and the insert still would not move. When I tried to use a sharp sewing needle to lever between the crystal and bezel insert, I ended up scratching it.

Finally lifted it off and realigned it, but it carries the scar.

Another option to remove the bezel insert is to simply remove the crystal first and and push the insert off from the bottom of the case. No case scratches using this method.

I agree the removing the bezel is extremely difficult on some SMPs.

bosk

Exactly. Its a gift from my girlfriend. I don't want to break it! The off center pearl is the only thing that bothers me. I see it crookedly staring at me. Looking at me like, "HA!"

I just want to replace the insert with a centered pearl. I know I can pull the entire thing apart and pop the glass, but thats even less of an option.

I'm thinking watchsmith, but what if they bust it too? They don't know these reps any better than me.

dont take offense dude, but i think its a psychological trick that youre playing on yourself. you know for a fact that its a fake so youre either consciously or unconsciously looking for the flaws that you are garunteed to find anyway because these are reps. theres going to be flaws. i cant see the point in buying a rep then making all these mods and stuff to em cause by the time youre done you could have damn near bought a real one anyway

i bought my SMP rep cause i wanted one NOW and $1,500 was unrealistic to me so this will satisfy me while I save up. to be honest i just absolutley am in love with the look and design. does it matter to me that its Omega name and James Bond and all that? of course it does. but id still buy it if it were a $25 Timex. my two cents anyways