When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Starting 7

RobbieG

I tried to narrow my constant rotation to 5, but found it difficult. My name is Rob and I'm an addict...

Anyway, the collection is 11 pieces in total now but I may sell some more as they don't get wrist time. We shall see. For now I settled on seven that I can't live without. These seven are in constant rotation and I know they are all keepers because every time I walk up to the box I love them all so much I can't decide which to wear. I think I have a lot of gorund covered with these in terms of size, color, and design. If there is a hole to fill at this point it would be at one or two high end strapped dress watches in the 38-40MM range. I could also use maybe one more chronograph. I'm leaning toward getting a Skyland actually, but I'm also kind of thinking Daytona as well. Advice as to what you think I should fill the chrono and dress watch slots with? I want to try and keep the collection to ten pieces so only three to go. My AP and Sinn will probably be sold as I'm really not into them anymore. Debating whether to keep the Droz...

Startingseven.jpg

Yeah, those are two that I fell in love with from owning the reps that I wouldn't have payed a lot of attention to otherwise. Great finds for sure and perfect sizes too. To me the 42MM PO is just a much more elegant and versatile watch in teh smaller size. Although I do like the 45MM on rubber though a little bit. It just wears really big and too much so for my tase. The PO 45 is a BIG 45. Only 1MM bigger than the Fish but appears like it is 50% bigger. Funny how slight shape cahnges, bezel dimensions, colors, etc can make watches appear bigger or smaller than they really are...

Awesome collection, the blue on the Steelfish is amazing and the Planet Ocean looks awesome.

Great collection.

I always try to keep my collection under 10 watches. It's tough sometimes, but that's about the perfect size for me. Sometimes even with small collection I have a hard time giving all watches the wrist time they deserve. So why own 30 watches?

But of course, people who are more "collector types" might see this differently.

Yeah I know huh? But what is funny is that most of these key 7 watches in my collection came from owning the reps first. I never would have made many of these purchases in the starting lineup or ever even know about the watches if not for reps!

7 is my number too, can't justify needing more than days in the week.

I have gone over 7 numerous times, but that forces me to sell the 8th one.

Love the UN Diver, that dial and hands look amazing.

Great gen collection, you need a couple of reps!

Cheers,

M

Yeah, you and I are similar on that front. I basically just woke up one day any realized I'm NOT a watch collector. Who would have thought? Just because a guy owns many watches doesn't make him a collector. I realized I am a watch wearer and owner and there is a big difference. I think nothing of collectable value, just what pleases me. Case in point, as you know I too had a gen 16710 but in my case I never wore it. So even though it is easily one of the most collectable watches on the planet right now I sold it without a thought. I got a great price for it but still, if I were a collecotr I never would have sold it. Again, I will add a few and probably still be at around ten or eleven, but from here on out I will add much more carefully so I love the new ones as much as these seven. I can't say that right now about the four not pictured...

Great collection.

I always try to keep my collection under 10 watches. It's tough sometimes, but that's about the perfect size for me. Sometimes even with small collection I have a hard time giving all watches the wrist time they deserve. So why own 30 watches?

But of course, people who are more "collector types" might see this differently.

I basically just woke up one day any realized I'm NOT a watch collector. Who would have thought? Just because a guy owns many watches doesn't make him a collector...I got a great price for it but still, if I were a collecotr I never would have sold it. Again, I will add a few and probably still be at around ten or eleven, but from here on out I will add much more carefully so I love the new ones as much as these seven. I can't say that right now about the four not pictured...

Not necessarily...

There are different kinds of collectors. Thematic collectors (e.g. Stephane and Rolex divers, or Nanuq and his vintage divers), there are brand collectors (e.g. Uncle Jay and Panerai), model oriented collectors (Freddy and his Daytonas), functional collectors (tonnes here on the board who want a sports watch, dress watch, etc...small numbers but broad function), mass accumulation collectors (e.g. the infamous but missing Victoria) etc, etc.

Just because you don't have a lot of pieces, doesn't mean you aren't a collector. You just have a different modus operandi than your neighbour.

Nice collection BTW. ;)