When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Stem insertion/removal while movement (with dial attached) is on holder...

rexon

I'm going through some tutorials and I'm wondering what is the best way to insert/remove stem with crown while movement (with dial attached) is mounted on movement holder?

I assume you need to hold the movement holder upside-down (you can't turn it over since the dial is still attached to movement) , press the stem release button (on bottom plate) and remove/insert stem at the same time but this seems to complicated to me.

Sorry for such silly question but am I missing something?

Its a tricky job, you do need the stem in place while working on the movement in the holder. My solution is to have a bunch of round dies from my bezel / crystal press, I put the movement face down into one of those to the dial contacts on the very outside only to avoid damage.

Another trick that works quite well is to use the back of a loupe, sit the movement face down into the back where your eye would normally be, the angles sides mean only the outer edge of the dial in touched.

I'd love to know the "official" way to do this though.