When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Not without a snorkel & swim fins

freddy333

After dinner Saturday night, I stopped into a local AD that had a Deepsea on hand for customers to try on. My god, the thing is even honkier than it looks in pictures. It is a monstrosity from every angle. Now, to be fair, I long ago lost what little interest I ever had in large watches (larger than 40mm), but I honestly cannot fathom (pun intended) how or why anyone would wear this watch with any type of suit that cannot be described as 'wet'. Originally, I thought you might be able to pull it off with sports wear (or hidden under a fur coat). But now that I have had the The Thing strapped to my wrist, I am convinced that you need to dress fit to carry a crowbar to have any hope of pulling it off. But it is definitely something to marvel at while it is sitting on a jeweler's counter under bright lights. :blink:

Freddy-

It depends from which angle you are coming on with this one. If you are a long time fanatic of traditional Rolexes it is a honker. But if you are a long time wearer of ROO or 44mm PAM's than they finally have gotten it right. And it is in any case a real technical masterpiece. Most large watch wearers have either gotten used to the concept of the watch sticking out or go the next step and have their dress shirts made with an enlarged left sleeve. ;) And congrats on having the opportunity to try it on. I just wish you had whipped out your camera phone to snap a quick pic. :D

Freddy,

Thanks for the feedback on this new piece. I have to agree, that it may be a bit over the top for long time rolex lovers; however, like Kruz mentioned it is all basically a matter of opinion. I for one prefer the vintage sized watches for rolex, yet admire the tech that went into building this watch.

I heard that that they may introduce a two tone:

rolex_deep_sea_two_tone.jpg

:D

It depends from which angle you are coming on with this one. If you are a long time fanatic of traditional Rolexes it is a honker. But if you are a long time wearer of ROO or 44mm PAM's than they finally have gotten it right. And it is in any case a real technical masterpiece. Most large watch wearers have either gotten used to the concept of the watch sticking out or go the next step and have their dress shirts made with an enlarged left sleeve. ;) And congrats on having the opportunity to try it on. I just wish you had whipped out your camera phone to snap a quick pic. :D

I thought of taking a quick snap, but, for security reasons, the store does not permit pictures to be taken. And I think there are enough phone pics of the SDDS floating around that another 1 would not provide anything new. And, as I said, I am not a fan of big watches, in general, so my comments need to be viewed through that lens. But for those who appreciate what struck me as the wrist equivalent of a decked-out Cadillac Escalade with blacked-out windows, lotsa chrome & mag wheels, it may be a dream come true. Ok, so maybe not the blacked-out windows. ^_^

The clasp, along with the rest of the watch, is a technological marvel, which is why I want 1 (not to wear, just to fill in the slot in 1 of my watch cases). I did not fiddle with the clasp beyond opening & closing it to put the watch on my wrist, but many articles (many online) have been written about the clasp if you need more info.

@ Freddy what was the price tag attached to that ;)

I think it was just under 9 grand. $8,975 maybe? All things considered, it seemed reasonably priced (for a Rolex). But it sounded like Rolex had learned its lessons well from the SS Daytona. The SDDS will be available, according to the store, 'in very limited quantities for the foreseeable future'. So the price you actually pay, assuming you can actually get your hands on 1, may be higher.

I would much rather have Omegas new contender for the Super-divers, the new Ploprof. It is sceduled for early 2009, and will likely cost about 7500 USD. A tad under the SDDS. But, neither watches are suitable for a dinner out. :)

orig.jpg