When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sanfrancisco

Secondbaseman12

Was just there a few months ago.

Napa Valley if you have the time; I love touring Stag's Leap Wine Cellars

Restaurant there called "Town Hall" is awesome; fun bar is Tres Agaves for tequela. Ate at one or two other top ones, but Town Hall was my favorite.

BE SURE to go to the farmer's market at the ferry building. Great view of bridge, fun shopping, etc.

If you have a woman w/ you she will want to shop @ union square (sak's, etc) Also many good watch stores there (Torneau, Cartier, Montblanc, etc).

China town was mainly just junk stores, but we weren't there long. Little italy is awesome, be sure to get pizza, canolli (sp?), etc

PM me if you have any questions; I'm sure there are residents here as well. GREAT vacation city.

I'll go along with Craytonic's recommendations.

A friend used to work at Stags Leap some years ago. Excellent reds. For a classy experience, stop at Domain Chandon as well, plus some of the other great wineries. We also did the spa thing in Calistoga. Nothing like getting naked together in a tub of mud!!

One of my perennial favorite things to do is hike in Muir Woods. Also, a bit farther up along the coast is Point Reyes, which shouldn't be missed.

In the city I love eating in Chinatown, but there are many, many great restaurants.

Check out City Lights book store, Coit Tower, the DeYoung Museum, Sausalito.....

If you are going by yourself and want to indulge a bit of the racy side, check out the O'Farrell Theater.

I'm not sure if Alcatraz is closed, but if you want to go, you better get tickets online before you go. It is usually sold out at least a week in advance this time of year. You can take a charter over, but it will cost you over $30 IIRC.

I would rent a car and drive to Monterrey and Carmel if you have time, about 2 hours south down the coast. 17 mile drive is a must see and the Monterrey Aquarium is World Class.

I would catch a bus to Union Street and Chestnut (Filmore runs between the two and they are about .5 mile apart). This is Cow Hollow in the middle of the city and a great neighborhood to shop and eat. My wife and I lived just up Filmore for about 5 years.

The great thing about SF is any resteraunt you eat at will be great. I never had a bad meal there. Almost any where in North Beach is gauranteed to be great Italian food. I would be more picky in China Town, though.

Make sure you ride the cable cars. The easiest place to ride them is Sacramento Street. You can get on at Embarcadero I at the end of Market Street and there usually isn't much of a crowd there.

WATCH TIP: There are many great places to pick up good second hand and new watches in the City. One of my favorites is just off of Union Square at the start of the Hyde Street Cable Car (Polk street I believe). It is called the International Market or something like that. It is across from the Gap and by Blondie's (Blondie's has great fast food pizza BTW). You can't miss it. There are a bunch of watches in the windows. It has 10 or 12 different sellers and you can almost always find a good deal there. I've purchased a few new genuines there and 4 or 5 second hand watches.

Edited by robertrinaustin

BTW, forgot to add that it is my favorite city in the world. I am trying to create a job within my compnay that would allow my wife and me to move back.

PM me if you have any questions. We moved to Texas about 5 years ago, but go back SF every other year. We went back last year during the Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance car show and it was incredible!

I'll be in San Diego and San Francisco next week as well. From the 20th to the 27th. Specifically Encinitas down South Cal and then Near Union in San Fran. I also heard that Alcatraz has been closed, but I remember we used to take a helicopter to the Island...it's been years, however.

I must say, I love San Francisco for the architecture mostly...but being from New Orleans, I can't say the food is as great as some have posted. Don't get me wrong, they put a lot of effort and money into creating a great atmosphere, but I've had better seafood in little hole in the wall restaurants here. However, one of my favorites is in the Mission called Ti couz (a little French crepe restaurant) 16th Street, (At the corner of Valencia Street), Quite good.

So, yes....go to the Warf...hit Ghirardelli Square...check out SFMOMA...you'll enjoy it.

I love New Orleans as well; was there three weeks ago. Checked out a pam 113 :-)

Can't compare food between the two, it is apples to oranges. I love new orleans food though. Must say it is not as good after the hurricane. went to NOLA, it was terrible! (used to be pretty good)

We went a few years ago, can't wait to go back. I don't recall anyone saying Fisherman's Wharf. Very touristy, however, some pretty good seafood (for California standards, a little bland for this coon ass), the Ghiradelli Chocolate Factory is there, and it is the best ice cream in the world. Sonoma is just north, you can rent a limo for a wine tour, not that expensive either. If you play golf, try to get a tee time at the Presidio, nice. We got to play Olympic Club, thanks to my friends connections. Talk about expensive, but it was worth it since we got to meet Tiger on the range, he was playing two groups ahead of us, and for some reason, that was a great feeling playing two groups behind Tiger. We got some cool photos of him, one of the nicest guys in the world, and he is a ripped guy in person, like a body builder. Awesome watcing a guy hit a pitching wedge 160 yards. You might get lucky and catch a Giants game. Anyway, I love San Fran.

Let's go (let's go) to San Francisco (let's go to San Francisco)

Where the flowers grow (flowers grow)

So very high (so high)

Sunshine (sunshine) in San Francisco

(Sunshine in San Francisco)

Makes your mind grow up to the sky.

Lots of sunny (lots of) sunny people

Walking hand in hand(walking hand in hand)

Then a (then a) funny people (funny people)

They have found (they have found) their land.

Let's go (let's go) to San Francisco

(Let's go to San Francisco)

Let the wind blow right through your hair

Go down (go down) to San Francisco

(Go down to San Francisco)

See the love glow (love glow)

On people's face.

Papapapa...

Let's go

Let's go

Let's go to San Francisco.

Let's go (let's go) to San Francisco

(Let's go to San Francisco)

Where the flowers grow (flowers grow)

So very high (so high)

Sunshine (sunshine) in San Francisco

(Sunshine in San Francisco)

Makes you mind grow up to the sky.

Let's go

Let's discover it

Let's go

Let's discover it

Let's go

Let's discover it...

Ahhhh... San Francisco. So much to see and do :) Definitely visit the Embarcadero, Union Square, Ghiradelli, MOMA etc. Drink lots of Peet's and hit up Joseph Schmidt's for some tastey chocolates. As Robert mentioned... If you can, drive up to Carmel and Monterey to see the aquarium, or to the redwood forest if you have time :)

And if you ride the Muni, be sure to carry some hand sanitizer with you!

We went a few years ago, can't wait to go back. I don't recall anyone saying Fisherman's Wharf. Very touristy, however, some pretty good seafood (for California standards, a little bland for this coon ass), the Ghiradelli Chocolate Factory is there, and it is the best ice cream in the world. Sonoma is just north, you can rent a limo for a wine tour, not that expensive either. If you play golf, try to get a tee time at the Presidio, nice. We got to play Olympic Club, thanks to my friends connections. Talk about expensive, but it was worth it since we got to meet Tiger on the range, he was playing two groups ahead of us, and for some reason, that was a great feeling playing two groups behind Tiger. We got some cool photos of him, one of the nicest guys in the world, and he is a ripped guy in person, like a body builder. Awesome watcing a guy hit a pitching wedge 160 yards. You might get lucky and catch a Giants game. Anyway, I love San Fran.

Hey Ekhunter,

Thanks for the input, About catching a Gians game. I really would like to do that, I play pro ball in the netherlands. Is it possible to buy some tickets at the stadim or is it sold out every home game?

And about playing golf, I love it. Do you need some paper or ID to play? Here in the netherlands you have to own a paper that you followed an exam that shows you are capable of playing.

Thanks alot

niels

The giants games are a blast. I take it your are not in the country. If I were you, I would buy the tickets in advance and have them held at "will call" so you can just pick them up game day. Ticketmaster might also let you print them out.

You won't need anything to play golf - although I wish it were required here. All you need is clubs, and even those can sometimes be rented.

I second the recommendation for golf and the Giant's game. You'll have a blast. I used to buy tickets for games all the time at the gate and it was never a problem unless they are playing the Dodgers. We would call it the "long lunch" (game starts at 1:05 IIRC) and usually leave around the 7th inning to go back to the office. The Presidio is beautiful and I understand it is not too crowded midweek.

I also agree that the seafood is only ok, but everything else there is world class. I never understood why the seafood isn't better, but it isn't. In five years, I had seafood only a few times and only then at business meetings at very nice resteraunts. It may be better in Monterrey, but I'm not sure.