When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Who has the best 090 Power Reserve?

dluddy

So I picked up a genuine Panerai OPIX PR movement and decided to build a Franken. My first choice was a 222 because I love the dial. Well, as expected and common in these projects, the dial did not line up on the gen movement. So, next choice was to find a genuine dial to use. Luckily, I found a genuine 090 dial and handset on the bay and with the help of a Snipe, I got them for a reasonable amount. So off to Ziggy it went along with a new case (PAM 88), solid caseback, nice CG, borrowed 7750 movement spacer from my 222 rep (anybody want a 222 - just needs a spacer) and a genuine Kruzer crown.

Well it just came back and I couldn't be happier with the results. Apart from some crazing on the gen hands, it is perfect. I'll probably bite the bullet and have them polished at some point.

Notice the datewheel?

Also notice that there is no date change pusher on the side of the case. Date can be quick set at the crown B)

Ziggy did a post to show the movement pictures but I will include a few here as well.

Special thanks to some friends who helped and advised along the way - you know who you are ;)

Also thanks to Ziggy for hanging in there with me along this journey - his workmanship is the only I would trust for this :good:

pam090frankenpostmodshd2.jpg

pam090frankenzb1.jpg

pam090frankengencrownlg7.jpg

pam090frankencaseprofilvj8.jpg

pam090frankencasebacknl0.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

D, that watch is so awesome :Jumpy: that now you absolutely have to do something to that datewheel!

I suppose you already saw the effect of an Archibald sticker on my 090 (this cyclops was a little overpowered, please look at the DW font only):

my090cyclopsvs9.jpg

You should definitely persuade Archibald to print a few more of his stickers.

And, btw, if you happen to be successful at it, please tell him to send me a few too. B)

How did you/The Zigmeister manage to have the date quick change at the crown???

D, that watch is so awesome :Jumpy: that now you absolutely have to do something to that datewheel!

I suppose you already saw the effect of an Archibald sticker on my 090 (this cyclops was a little overpowered, please look at the DW font only):

You should definitely persuade Archibald to print a few more of his stickers.

And, btw, if you happen to be successful at it, please tell him to send me a few too. B)

How did you/Ziggy manage to have the date quick change at the crown???

Hey M -

Well given that the movement is a genuine OPIX, the datewheel is perfect and you get the quick date change at the crown ;) - The cyclops might do with a change but I am pretty happy with the readability on it now....

given that the movement is a genuine OPIX, the datewheel is perfect

I stand corrected.

Honestly, I would have never guessed that that was a genuine datewheel. :blink:

I think I am influenced by sort of a "crown effect" -- the thicker, the better.

Thanks for the explaination, and double congrats now!