When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Seiko Spring Drive Spacewalk

docdoc

That is one of the best tool watches ever. 25k$ might be too much for a 'Seiko' (for some), but that is a justified for such a limited run. A lot of us are looking for a nice spring drive, and if Seiko were to offer this magic caliber in a case that would do it justice, I would be all over it. This one is great but not for that price. The side view of it is even more stunning , but still it is a little too big (53mm) for everyday.

seiko_springdrive_spacewalk_2.jpg

Edited by geo1nah2a

I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on a spring drive... not this one but...damn it's tough to choose!

You've got to get the SD MM600!!! It's an awsome watch. Rivals anything out there in every aspect. Everyone needs one in their collection. Some day I'll have one too.

You've got to get the SD MM600!!! It's an awsome watch. Rivals anything out there in every aspect. Everyone needs one in their collection. Some day I'll have one too.

Look at my sig. :o

The Marine Master 600 is my preferred Spring Drive, but I'd settle for pretty much any of them if I had to.

After having seen a SD in action no other movement would fit the bill. The SD second hand moves so smooth that it makes other auto seem jerky.

Because they ARE jerky! 28,800 ... is jerky! The 28Kvph guys are sitting ducks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why-o-why must expensive watches be jerky when everybody knows that the (popular) tangible mark of a luxury watch is supposed to be smoothness? I've been accused for my gen GMT2 being a fake because of the jerky Kvph28,8. One might say it doesn't matter if its gen, on the other hand one might say - and as most rep enthusiasts already are conscious about - "whos reality counts"...

Profit-wise - putting a non-jerky (36,000 or more) movement in a luxury watch wouldn't mean a damn thing on the bottom line if its mass produced (as are most - if not models, then systems/types). I'm glad Seiko are escalating this situation. Personally I kinda dislike anything less than 300,000 vph - since the tuning fork in the 70's we haven't seen alotta innovation in the smoothness dept.

Dammit!

So I guess the best movt for a rep springdrive is a tuning fork (available from ofrei for 250 bux) - not likely. Bring on the SprindDrive jerking rep (not buyin it).

Edit: Might buy one and install a fork......

MG

Wait... brittt1 did you really buy one of those? If I may ask, how much did you pay for it? Also, can you just walk into a Seiko AD and buy one? Thanks and enjoy her.

Nope this isnt mine (I wish, i did get to play with it for a while) this is one of 5 special made ones that has undergone tests by the Russian space agency and will be going up into space this October (google Richard Garriot for info) on the arm of Richard Garriot (a Private Space tourist http://www.seikospringdrive.com/spacewalk/ )BTW not all 5 made it through the test and all were revised..the special edition that they will sell for 25K has yet to be made, i believe it will be out before christmas following the trip into space and the subsequent publicity. Its an unreal watch, bullhead design smooth as silk, light as a feather and glows like a star.

Here it is with a couple of friends for size comparison....

DSC02655.jpg

DSC02652.jpg

DSC02651.jpg

DSC02659.jpg