When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of the Rep Deep Sea-Dweller - Tons of Pictures

Kahn

deepsea.jpg

I'd like to begin by saying thanks to this forums members and staff for providing me an outlet to really go nuts! I really enjoy the time I spend here. I know there are a whole lot more knowledgable geeks out there who will point out things I just didn't know about this watch, BUT that's what I like so much about this place.....you learn.

Check out the offical Rolex Website here for specs on the Deepsea Dweller.

Rolex announced the addition of an exciting new model to the 2008 lineup, the Rolex Oyster Perpetual Sea-Dweller DEEPSEA. If you

Thank You for the review and pics. You are right, it might not be the best example of a reproduction, but it is the first SDDS. I am sure more versions shall follow, especially as soon as one of the genuine articles lands in GZ. The biggest let down is the height of the case. It should be almost double that! They should have used the bezel of the current SD rep. At least they did use the rep ceramic bezel insert of the Ceramic 2008 prototype white gold submariner. And the genuine sapphire is creating the same distortions that make seeing the dial harder than on the previous SD.

Wear it in good health and thank You again.

I for one think that this is a great effort on the part of the rep makers. Say what you want about the details, this is a watch that most of the world has only just begun to see for real and no doubt there will be many updates of this one as it goes along. So lets take a look at this one and make our own list of things to improve upon.

1. Case size - needs to be thicker and the lugs and crown guards need to be a bit "squarer" on the edges. I suppose in the rep world, its easier and faster to use existing SD (or GMT IIc) case stock and do some little tweaks. The case on this one will be the biggest item since it is proprietory to this model Rolex only.

2. Dial - I am suprised the dial has the correct wording and close fonts at this stage! Seems like the minute markers are too far from the edge of the dial. They are probably using existing dial stock at this point which will make it look smaller than it should on a bigger case.

3. Hands - it needs "maxi" hands a la Submariner LV.

4. Case back - gen case back is titanium making it a darker color in the center. While I dont expect titanium on a rep, maybe a bead blasted center area of the case back would do the trick.

5. Rehaut - as much as I hate the "Ring Lock System" Gas Escape Valve" blurb on the watch, I guess we'd need it for a faithful replica. So this wording needs to be a bit smoother and filled in with black. The rehaut also needs the RolexRolexRolex engraving as well.

6. Date font - looks like the standard Asian offering, maybe future versions will carry a date wheel more like in the Noob Submariners.

Thats all I see at first glance, lets have the other folks weigh in and addd to the list.

Thanks for the review!!! Also, how is the bezel insert?? Does it do the gen ceramic bezel any justice??

geo1nah2a - thank you very much, I appreciate your kind words...At least we have a base to work on!

Ztech - thanks to you too...I couldn't wait for a newer version, I have to get some wrist shots for you guys.

Dutchy - I think the braclet is just sub-par in weight, It feels fine and looks just OK...again I just LOVE the GEN braclet

southcoast68 - Great points and your exactly right....(the rehaut does have rolexrolexrolex - sorry I didn't get a better shot)......again - I think we have something to work with here.

THANK YOU

Excellent review and pictures!

Much appreciated, and I'm looking more from you!

Freddy said the honest truth though... unfortunately the rep isn't as good as your review. I'm sure there will be many, many replications of this watch... but this was definitely a "pioneer work". Job well done!

Well done review (especially for a 1st timer). :good: Too bad the rep is not up to the standards set by the reviewer.

One minor correction I would offer - I believe this is the 3rd or 4th SDDS rep to hit the market (at least that I have seen).

The 1st reps did not even have the "DEEP SEA: logo... :p

Well, by "modern rep standards" that we are used to ... this is another crappy rep.... The size of it says it all, and it s not only that.. Too bad for an excellent reviewer- a bit clement though... B)

What we have to keep from this rep..is the effort and willingness of the factories to rep this new (best-seller-to-be gen , imo) rlx watch, even b4 its official release... dont forget that..

I am sure we will see great things ...

Well done review (especially for a 1st timer). :good: Too bad the rep is not up to the standards set by the reviewer.

One minor correction I would offer - I believe this is the 3rd or 4th SDDS rep to hit the market (at least that I have seen).

The 1st reps did not even have the "DEEP SEA: logo... :p

Well, by "modern rep standards" that we are used to ... this is another crappy rep.... The size of it says it all, and it s not only that.. Too bad for an excellent reviewer- a bit clement though... B)

What we have to keep from this rep..is the effort and willingness of the factories to rep this new (best-seller-to-be gen , imo) rlx watch, even b4 its official release... dont forget that..

I am sure we will see great things ...

A fabulous first review. Unfortunately the watch is not worthy of the quality of the review. I do look forward to further reviews if you are so inclined. This is a watch I have wanted since it was announced. After wearing PAM's and other larger watches for years my Rolex collection has been rapidly losing wrist time. I can't wait to see the later versions. Most importantly - great review. :)